• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

Is this gonna solve the US gambling embargo? Looks like there was a "coin poker" that came out 2 months ago? I imagine there are bookies that use the shit already, right?

There are a lot of gambling tokens.

Or you can just buy crypto, that is pretty close to gambling.

Ark is on a moon mission right now and I am okay with that.

This is fascinating - real estate transactions with ETH contracts. Read the comments where explains various aspects:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/7p155y/i_just_warranty_deeded_my_house_into_an_ethereum/

That seems like a pretty stupid idea, akin to Rocket Mortgage (hey we cratered the economy because of shitty mortgage underwriting, but let us underwrite yours in 30 seconds based off some inputs into a phone app!). For most people, buying a house is the biggest and most important purchase they will ever make. It is okay to slow down and take a few hours doing it to make sure it is done to correctly transfer ownership.

That seems like a pretty stupid idea, akin to Rocket Mortgage (hey we cratered the economy because of shitty mortgage underwriting, but let us underwrite yours in 30 seconds based off some inputs into a phone app!). For most people, buying a house is the biggest and most important purchase they will ever make. It is okay to slow down and take a few hours doing it to make sure it is done to correctly transfer ownership.
Such a bad take.

Think about the current process of land registry and ownership. It often entails long-term physical possession of a paper title, with risk of forged signatures, a faulty history of ownership, or duplicated or counterfeit records. Disputes over ownership often come down to to possession and evaluation of these paper certificates.

Elliot Hedman, COO of Bitland Global - “As for the benefit of a blockchain-based land registry, look to Haiti. There are still people fighting over whose land is whose. When disaster struck, all of their records were on paper, that being if they were written down at all.”

Beyond disasters, the value of “dead capital,” when people do not have legal title to their houses, cars and other assets, is estimated at $20 trillion. The opportunity for blockchain to track the property history, authenticate signatures, and prove ownership are legitimate benefits worth consideration. Countries including Georgia, Sweden, and Ukraine (as well as Cook County in Chicago) have begun exploring the opportunity.

Think about the current process of land registry and ownership. It often entails long-term physical possession of a paper title, with risk of forged signatures, a faulty history of ownership, or duplicated or counterfeit records. Disputes over ownership often come down to to possession and evaluation of these paper certificates.

All mostly solved with today's government e-databases.

In the U.S., maybe? Definitely not in the majority of countries.

I'm far from an expert on this but I know some of my colleagues are actively working with clients on the subject.

But that raises the question - do we want verification of our public record documents in the hands of a private company?

But that raises the question - do we want verification of our public record documents in the hands of a private company?
That's the thing with blockchain - you're often removing one central party's control / ownership of data.

A private company (or group of companies) would likely pay to operate the network, but they wouldn't have control or ownership of the records. You'd be able to verify with 100% certainty the life cycle of any digital asset (e.g., house title), without having to trust the a company is managing that data properly. It's origination, history and transfer of ownership, etc.

That's the thing with blockchain - you're often removing one central party's control / ownership of data.

A private company (or group of companies) would likely pay to operate the network, but they wouldn't have control or ownership of the records. You'd be able to verify with 100% certainty the life cycle of any digital asset (e.g., house title), without having to trust the a company is managing that data properly. It's origination, history and transfer of ownership, etc.

And what if there are competing title blockchain companies? That sounds like a mess to have to manage.

One obvious kickass use I can see for blockchain is elections and electronic voting.

And what if there are competing title blockchain companies? That sounds like a mess to have to manage.
How so?

That's like if someone saying "And what if there are competing phone service providers? That sounds like a mess to have to manage." Or different internet service providers?

For the use case dot com mentioned, it's built on Ethereum. So the companies are just service providers helping you access and store information on the blockchain. Anyone can access and see it. In the case of permissioned blockchains created by companies, there may be a need for interoperability between blockchains but those standards are table stakes for most enterprise use cases.

At the end of the day, most customers won't know how their data is being stored just like they don't know what kind of database technology is being used. For it to be successful, it'll have a clean and easy UI for the customer and look like any other app.

But this also doesn't remove the possibility that some use cases become a public utility and/or partner with the government. Identity is a HUGE opportunity for this space and would be significantly more valuable if they partnered with governments at the state or federal level.

Yep!

Utah used it for their primaries: https://www.voanews.com/a/utah-gop-to-test-first-ever-statewide-online-voting-in-us-/3244447.html

Recent news from yesterday: https://www.coindesk.com/overstocks-medici-ventures-invests-in-blockchain-voting-startup/

And the opportunity is extremely relevant for developing countries where voter fraud is rampant.

I don't think there is any doubt that eventually there will be a lot of great uses.

Right now the only real use is for me to make money and eventually lose it all due to FOMA

How long has this mafia drought gone?

So my $100 ETH investment last year is now worth $10000. Sad I didn't throw more money at it when it was in the teens.

Back