• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

Whatever could go wrong in a space where Dogecoin is now worth a billion dollars. (Up 100% in the past 24 hours)

Why are you focused on Dog coin, or whatever it is called?

Cause it just doubled in price in a day to over a billion dollars. When looking for signs of irrational exuberance, that seems to be one.

Having lived through when all the sudden one day someone added an unlawful internet gaming act onto a vital port security bill and seeing Party Poker's market cap drop 90% overnight, and me all the sudden being without a job.... I'll wait until the govt makes it illegal for banks to transact with bitcoin before picking it as my preferred asset over the next 5-10 years.

Cause it just doubled in price in a day to over a billion dollars. When looking for signs of irrational exuberance, that seems to be one.

Having lived through when all the sudden one day someone added an unlawful internet gaming act onto a vital port security bill and seeing Party Poker's market cap drop 90% overnight, and me all the sudden being without a job.... I'll wait until the govt makes it illegal for banks to transact with bitcoin before picking it as my preferred asset over the next 5-10 years.

That's cool. You may, however, want to research what acts the government has taken towards the space just this year. Like making it now legal for banks to be custodians of crypto. And who said anything about "preferred asset". As with any investment you have to allocate and manage risk. The fact remains that just 1% in BTC and 99% in cash over the last decade outperformed all other asset classes. That's worth a look for some small portion of any portfolio.

Last edited:

Yes, and I'm holding about 4% of my investible assets in crypto. Saying something has the best odds of providing you with an asymmetric return is not making a comment on allocations or overall risk. If I were younger - like in my 30's I'd probably be 10-15%.

Last edited:
ETH historically outperforms BTC in the first month or so of the year. It's up over $200 today but is still quite a ways away from its all time high. BTC is now almost 2x its 2018 ATH. ETH's ATH is over $1440. It's at about $950 now. Since that last ATH adoption has moved significantly. And it is now possible to stake ETH, meaning some portion of it will be locked and off the market (lowering supply). Seems like a decent risk reward prop. And when ETH moves hard I would not be surprised if some portion of alts that are built on ETH move too.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
debated on getting some DOT a couple of days ago when it was around $8.xx but have been burned too many times. Would you suggest waiting or hopping on now?

I am finally back to even on my investments I believe. I put a measly $50 in last february in BTC & XLM and that's doubled since.

debated on getting some DOT a couple of days ago when it was around $8.xx but have been burned too many times. Would you suggest waiting or hopping on now?

I am finally back to even on my investments I believe. I put a measly $50 in last february in BTC & XLM and that's doubled since.

I would just dollar cost average over time. So whatever you can do every few weeks. I'm no TA master mind so that's how I build most positions. There are some great videos on DOT on youtube that talk to the potential. It is risky if for no other reason than it is way behind ETH on adoption. But the amount of development and the number of projects that are headed to DOT gives an indication it will not be another chain that struggles to get off the ground. Also I think the DOT team published an end of year update on mediuim.

Last edited:
Where do you purchase your crypto? Looks like binance is not supporting US customers and binance.us doesn't offer services to my state. and it also looks like binance.us doesn't offer DOT

Kraken has DOT and KSM. You can also get it at KuCoin. If you buy there you can (and I think should) immediately transfer it to your personal wallet. You can't deposit USD at KuCoin as a US resident though. Coinbase does not have DOT but has an expanded listing of tokens. What state are you in?

Nice to live in a fantasy world for a few minutes where I invested in BTC or ETH on March 13th and now up tenfold. What a tease.

Maybe? The lowest it’s been at in the last month looks to be $0.11, dropping from what looks like a high (before today) of close to $0.20. This is all just a quick look at the month long graph from Coinbase. Up over $0.30 now.

I believe a lot of people are getting out of XRP & dumping that $ into XLM.

There are a lot of tokens that are just screaming north right now. As I understand things when altcoins move it tends to be very volatile and often only lasts a few weeks. So if things are moving north take some profits along the way to mitigate what could be a sharp move in the opposite direction. My play will be to take some money off the table on anything that doubles and to funnel that into ETH and BTC. Then let the rest ride as playing for free.

Back