• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

Wonder if folks have thoughts on any of these alts. We're either in these or considering a position once we have profits from other projects to reinvest.

API3 - Oracle
AAVE - DeFi lender
BOND - DeFit risk tranches
CRU - Storage for DOT network
ENJ - Gaming and NFT platforms
EWT - Energy asset registration and trading
GRT - Blockchain indexing
KSM - DOT testing ground
LINK - Leading oracle
MUSE - NFT exchange
NFY - Earn yield on NFTs
NXM - DeFi insurance
OCEAN - Decentralized data marketplace
PHA - Privacy layer for DOT network geared towards business
POOL - No loser lotteries. Winners get interest on entry fees. Losers get entry fees back
QNT - Interoperatability platform
RLC - Decentralized cloud computing
SNX - DeFit derivatives marketplace
UBT - Blockchain marketing to enterprises
UNI - Decentralized exchange

Everybody sells crypto at the price they deserve

This is funny and true. If I had just held onto my BTC the last 5 years instead of selling off when the last fall came, I'd be sitting pretty.

I really need to get out of my swing trading default mode and treat this stuff as a long term play. I'm not all that patient with it, but it's really the right way.

I mean this looks like the unwinding of a dogecoin short squeeze, right? All crypto is down big, Doge is up 25%. People shorted Doge on Margin, and now have to liquidate their other cryptos in a margin call and buy doge to cover, as the only way to 150x short doge on margin would be to have that 150x value in other crypto in your account, that's now getting sold. So some people put a probably seemingly very small harmless short doge position in their portfolio and they're getting absolutely wiped out.

Last edited:
Wonder if folks have thoughts on any of these alts. We're either in these or considering a position once we have profits from other projects to reinvest.

API3 - Oracle
AAVE - DeFi lender
BOND - DeFit risk tranches
CRU - Storage for DOT network
ENJ - Gaming and NFT platforms
EWT - Energy asset registration and trading

GRT - Blockchain indexing
KSM - DOT testing ground
LINK - Leading oracle
MUSE - NFT exchange
NFY - Earn yield on NFTs

NXM - DeFi insurance
OCEAN - Decentralized data marketplace
PHA - Privacy layer for DOT network geared towards business
POOL - No loser lotteries. Winners get interest on entry fees. Losers get entry fees back
QNT - Interoperatability platform
RLC - Decentralized cloud computing
SNX - DeFit derivatives marketplace
UBT - Blockchain marketing to enterprises
UNI - Decentralized exchange

The bolded ones have my interest. I have a position in ENJ already.

The bolded ones have my interest. I have a position in ENJ already.

Muse and NFY are both really low market caps. So big risk and big potential reward. I took a small position in each of them - both are down a bit since we bought in. We also hold some ENJ that was bought very recently. Will likely be buying more soon.

Pool is a great idea but I think they are executing it pretty poorly right now. If I have to choose between putting my stable coins into a yield earning project or this lottery I'm picking the yield every time. What they should do to peak more interest is to offer some fraction of the yield you could get elsewhere, say 2%, and then hand the remainder of the interest to the lottery winner. So let's say there's a pool that has earned 100K in interest. That's the total reward. You may have to set aside say 25% of that total to cover the 2% each entrant will earn. Then you hand 75K to the winner. It would draw tons more interest to the lottery. But the concept overall is still awesome. And idea this is a global lottery with no loss of your entry fee seems pretty darn compelling. I'm still watching this one for now. I read a tweet or two that shows this thing has some ties to Coinbase. So if it were ever to get a listing it would likely pump. IOW, may need to decide soon on whether to invest.

PHA I have held for a long time. It is still a relatively low cap. Supposedly will get a DOT parachain. EWT I've held for a long time too. It has not pumped as much as other projects. It does have some inflation in the token model. It is definitely a long term play. Just signed a deal with Volkswagen.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I do pop in on occasion. How do you guys feel about the environmental impact of all these cryptocurrencies and NFTs by association? Cause any hesitation to invest? This is not a gotcha, I'm genuinely curious, as most of the discussion I hear is from that side of things, rather than the investment side.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I do pop in on occasion. How do you guys feel about the environmental impact of all these cryptocurrencies and NFTs by association? Cause any hesitation to invest? This is not a gotcha, I'm genuinely curious, as most of the discussion I hear is from that side of things, rather than the investment side.

also very interested in this

It's something I've been interested in as well. Tough to get honest answers as people seem to be quite entrenched on one side of the argument, but I think the technology is moving in the right direction at a faster clip than most industries and the future of mining is actually going to be far less energy intensive.

I've also not seen any comparisons to the amount of energy used to run blockchain as compared to the modern banking system, which at the end of the day is what it is trying to replace. I have a feeling banks would probably be far worse for the environment by scale, but that's just a guess based on the power needed to mine commodities, build/maintain physical banks, run those banks, transport physical currency, etc.

I think this article presents a bit of both arguments.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

I think the counter on the current banking system is a good point I hadn't thought about

and it does indeed seem like there is no incentive for any involved party to be honest about this -- are there academics doing good crypto research?

I honestly give zero fucks about the energy consumption of crypto mining.

I think the counter on the current banking system is a good point I hadn't thought about

Same here. Traditional banking will never go away though, short of a full apocalyptic event, as I can't see governments switching over to a cryptocurrency.

That is sort of a red herring. First, proof of stake blockchains use a lot less energy than proof of work. Second, a significant portion of proof of work blockchains lever the use of green energy. Third, Bitcoin's energy consumption is a fraction of that of a host of other things - like global use of TV's or video game consoles, etc. Wait until you see what Tesla is "allegedly" working on for the space - linking their home battery/storage units to miners. Yes, that may actually be a thing.

Last edited:
Another Petri dish (and I think pretty cool) DeFi concept. Liquity.

1 - The have a USD stable coin called LUSD.

2 - They allow you to borrow LUSD at zero percent interest provided you must post at least (you can post more) 110% of the value of the loan in ETH. So if you are long ETH and don't want to sell it to raise funds you can post it as collateral and take out a loan in LUSD from Liquity.

3 - Other parties place LUSD into a "stability pool" The stability pools monitor whether loans are falling below the required collateral level as the price of ETH moves against USD. If a loan falls below the required level it is automatically liquidated and the ETH is purchased at a slight discount to current prices and distributed to those who have posted LUSD to the stability pool. Those who post to the stability pool also earn a native token called LQTY at around a 25-30% APY right now.

4 - LQTY can also be staked to earn LUSD.

It launched on April 5th. It is decentralized. It already has locked over $3B into its platform. It only has a market cap of about $60M (although fully diluted it is pushing over $2B). Tokenomics article that I poked through suggested to me this thing should perhaps trade around $45 per LQTY right now. It presently trades at around $20. Pantera and others have backed them with a recent $6M round.

Back