• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

Not sure that’s true. Here are the major ones on Poloniex relative to USD.

c8a06328d63bff09e261e022d0275caf.jpg

Would love to see that compared to a month ago. That is huge volume sustained over 10+ major alts. Very impressive.

Last edited:
For those who follow this stuff closely, how is the Ethereum network not superior to Bitcoin in every possible way? I understand there are scaling issues with both. But progammable smart contracts means business to business frictionless transactions. The Ethereum Enterprise Alliance already has mainstream companies signed on. How is that not an inside track on Bitcoin towards real world applications? Bitcoin's ceiling is essentially an asset like gold. Ethereum could spawn an entire new ecosystem akin to a decentralized internet. The potential is mind-boggling. What am I missing?

For those who follow this stuff closely, how is the Ethereum network not superior to Bitcoin in every possible way? I understand there are scaling issues with both. But progammable smart contracts means business to business frictionless transactions. The Ethereum Enterprise Alliance already has mainstream companies signed on. How is that not an inside track on Bitcoin towards real world applications? Bitcoin's ceiling is essentially an asset like gold. Ethereum could spawn an entire new ecosystem akin to a decentralized internet. The potential is mind-boggling. What am I missing?

Nothing, you're spot on.

Bitcoin is like if Kleenex packed their boxes with sandpaper. People would still ask for a Kleenex even if it's a different brand of tissue. It's all everyone knows in the crypto world just because the name has been around the longest.

I think that most people that actually follow crypto know this and don't expect btc to be the king forever.

Bitcoin has the scale that Ethereum doesn’t. Bitcoin was actually be using as a currency to make purchases. Bitcoin has far more people (2x - 3x according to some GitHub research I’ve seen) working on it than Ethereum. Ivy was just released for Bitcoin that enables development with smart contracts. And a lot of the companies working with Ethereum will likely use private instances of the code that won’t require ethers.

I’m not making an argument for one or the other but it is far from a clear winner between the two. I think Bitcoin has a better chance of being the virtual currency of the future, Ethereum has a better chance of being a network for enterprise business. Both valuable in different ways.

Bitcoin has the scale that Ethereum doesn’t. Bitcoin was actually be using as a currency to make purchases. Bitcoin has far more people (2x - 3x according to some GitHub research I’ve seen) working on it than Ethereum. Ivy was just released for Bitcoin that enables development with smart contracts. And a lot of the companies working with Ethereum will likely use private instances of the code that won’t require ethers.

I’m not making an argument for one or the other but it is far from a clear winner between the two. I think Bitcoin has a better chance of being the virtual currency of the future, Ethereum has a better chance of being a network for enterprise business. Both valuable in different ways.

I think it’s all speculative at this point. I have $10k into sia and $8k into alts and I’m relying on none if it retirement-wise. At the current price of sia I stand to make about $80k off it next year. If crypto turns to shit I’m going to have some expensive space heaters.

And a nice tax deduction

What exchange do you use for Sia

Poloniex, but I don't hold any right now. I ordered 4 of the asics that will mine 650,000 a month. They deliver by June so I'm hoping crypto doesnt crash by then.

I've heard companies say that a public network that will allow them to interact would be more valuable than an intranet or private network. Sounds a lot like what the EEA is trying to do. Seems a bit more forward thinking than just developing a finite asset to buy and trade.

Gouda, you’re one of only a few I’ve seen be all in on Sia. Care to explain why?

Bloodbath this morning. Which means it will probably be up 200% in two weeks. Everyone cashing out to go xmas shopping :D

Gouda, you’re one of only a few I’ve seen be all in on Sia. Care to explain why?

Most crypto currencies are just currencies with different transaction fees, speeds, scalability, etc. Sia is backed by an actual thing (cloud storage). Also Jtp told me to and if he gets rich and I don’t know if I could take it.

People are freaking out, but we started December below 10k. For HODLs it's just another dip.

People are freaking out, but we started December below 10k. For HODLs it's just another dip.

Meh, I'm past the HODLing stage. Everyone getting rich off this shit is daytrading the hell out of it. I'm tired of riding out these dips, going to start taking my 60% gains then buying back in after the impending 24 hour correction (alts on binance, 0.5% fees)

Strong tweet.

sarcasm?

it is difficult to see bitcoin having that market cap

full disclosure, it was difficult to foresee the current market cap two months ago

I thought you had the bubble popping by February?
Yeah, think I said late-Jan/early-Feb. Very interested to see how the market reacts over the next week.

sarcasm?

it is difficult to see bitcoin having that market cap

full disclosure, it was difficult to foresee the current market cap two months ago
Not saying I endorse or believe it's going to hit $45k by January. But the data with regards to how Bitcoin has reacted after big drops is definitely interesting.

Back