• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

I find it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to simply buy low and hold, but I guess that's all a matter of how much tolerance you have. Trying to time both buying high and selling low would cause a mental breakdown for me. I definitely agree with the article though that it's going to be very tough to know when to sell, but that's usually the case with riskier investments in general. Especially if you've already made some money and you have to let go of your faithful cash cow when you re-evaluate your portfolio.

I don't try to time the highs and lows, so to say. But it's pretty easy to spot the beginning of a "dip" or "correction" if you pay close attention to the market and it's a great time to sell off then pick up more shares an hour later.

I find it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to simply buy low and hold, but I guess that's all a matter of how much tolerance you have. Trying to time both buying high and selling low would cause a mental breakdown for me. I definitely agree with the article though that it's going to be very tough to know when to sell, but that's usually the case with riskier investments in general. Especially if you've already made some money and you have to let go of your faithful cash cow when you re-evaluate your portfolio.

well that's why i would argue that you should only be investing in crypto if you believe in its long-term viability; if you're chasing speculative bubbles then it's pretty much guaranteed that you will eventually get burned

for what other asset is the utility so disconnected from its value?
Gold is the traditional answer. Especially as the price speculation is now based off being the replacement to the Gold Standard.

But other interesting ones...art? Diamonds? High-value antique items?

https://multicoin.capital/2018/01/23/iota-miota-analysis/

More in-depth analysis of IOTA. Aligns with earlier comments.

"We wish the IOTA team all the best and hope that they are able to execute on their vision, as it represents a compelling step forward for the economy of the IoT. However, given the current state of the IOTA network, the substantial technical risk, and the overwhelming evidence of serious flaws in the protocol, we believe that IOTA is sharply overvalued at current prices."

Blockchain Sex Contracts Will Be Weaponized Against Women
Instead of requiring consent, we're going to require women to be contracts lawyers.

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/01/blockchain-sex-contracts-will-be-weaponized-against-women/

With LegalFling, if you are, say, on a date and want to take it further, you open the app and send a request for consent. Your date either consents or not. Users can also configure the app to communicate their sexual preferences and boundaries. And if consent is given and pictures are taken, the app can be used to explicitly agree that none may be shared at anytime with anyone afterwards, attaching a penalty clause that can trigger cease-and-desist letters and penalty payments.

Let's say your strategy is to invest only in underlying networks and avoid specific apps/tokens. You have BTC and ETH and want to diversify in to others that are already in or are appearing in this space. What should you own?

ADA, XLM, EOS, NEO, NEM. Maybe ZRX?

Let's say your strategy is to invest only in underlying networks and avoid specific apps/tokens. You have BTC and ETH and want to diversify in to others that are already in or are appearing in this space. What should you own?

ADA, XLM, EOS, NEO, NEM. Maybe ZRX?

REQ, VEN, SIA

I’m all in on VEN, NEO, REQ, and XLM

IOTA at 2.40 is probably a great buy as well, though Nonny will disagree

he Bezzle: “Blockchain’s Broken Promises” [Nouiel Roubini, Project Syndicate]. Note the URL: “why-bitcoin-is-a-bubble….” “[C]ryptocurrencies in general are based on a false premise. According to its promoters, Bitcoin has a steady-state supply of 21 million units, so it cannot be debased like fiat currencies. But that claim is clearly fraudulent, considering that it has already forked off into three branches: Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Gold. Besides, hundreds of other cryptocurrencies are invented every day, alongside scams known as ‘initial coin offerings,’ which are mostly designed to skirt securities laws. So ‘stable’ cryptos are creating money supply and debasing it at a much faster pace than any major central bank ever has.”

After a crackdown by Asian regulators this month, cryptocurrency values fell by 50% from their December peak. They would have collapsed much more had a vast scheme to prop up their price via outright manipulation not been rapidly implemented. But, like in the case of the sub-prime bubble, most US regulators are still asleep at the wheel.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/why-bitcoin-is-a-bubble-by-nouriel-roubini-2018-01

Last edited:
I am amazed organized crime hasn't gone into these currencies big time by doing tons of pump and dumps.

Back