• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump To End DACA

What a shock that Jeff Sessions wants break up families of brown people.

Despite him, it should actually turn out better for DACA recipients, who will likely have something permanent in place that includes permanent residency. That's assuming Congress acts, but this is one of the few times I'm optimistic about that, given what we've heard from even very conservative Senators and Reps.

Despite him, it should actually turn out better for DACA recipients, who will likely have something permanent in place that includes permanent residency. That's assuming Congress acts, but this is one of the few times I'm optimistic about that, given what we've heard from even very conservative Senators and Reps.

If there was a legit bipartisan plan, we wouldn't have needed DACA in the first place.

If there was a legit bipartisan plan, we wouldn't have needed DACA in the first place.

I agree. I know many hope Congress comes together on this but given its recent track record, I just don't see it. Extreme Rs fully support Trump's position, moderate Rs will continue to fear Trump's base and show no leadership, then Dems have no reason to compromise on anything other than full reinstatement of DACA or a legit path to citizenship. Trump and his party just decided to effectively send hundreds of thousands of kids and productive members of society back to a country they don't know or back to illegal status. GOP now owns this.

I hope Republicans have enjoyed all of this winning over the past 8 months because it's the only winning we will be doing for a very very long time.

Last edited:

LOL at this Congress getting any piece of major legislation done in the next 6 months.

In simple terms, the republican voters are convinced the immigrants from the South are the reason for all their problems because this message has been expertly delivered to them by the fat cats who run the owner class as a shiny object to distract the sheep while they fleece them. So congress will not do anything, families wil be broken apart and the 'rule of law' cited as the justification.
Powerful messengers

Upset the mill in your town closed 15 years ago? Don't blame the owners of the mill. Blame people who were brought to this country when they were kids.

Who says if they pass a DACA fix that Trump doesn't veto it to show him being "tough"?

Who says if they pass a DACA fix that Trump doesn't veto it to show him being "tough"?

No good answer to this. Either he vetos it, which is horrible for the kids and the country, but probably good for the left politically, or he signs it, and will take credit for solving the problem. I'd like for him to sign it and then say he hates it and they made him do it, or something to that effect. Writing this, I realize it sounds like I'm talking about a 5 year old.

What we're seeing with DACA is the same thing we're seeing with the ACA. Once a major policy or piece of legislation is implemented/passed, it is way tougher/more expensive/unpopular to do away with it than it was to start it in the first place. That's because businesses and millions of people (the kids plus family, employers, schools) come to rely on the policy, and invest in it for the long term.

So yes, I'm aware of how bipartisan solutions to this problem failed in the past. But this is different. We're now talking about ending a popular program that exists, not starting one that has some bipartisan support.

No good answer to this. Either he vetos it, which is horrible for the kids and the country, but probably good for the left politically, or he signs it, and will take credit for solving the problem. I'd like for him to sign it and then say he hates it and they made him do it, or something to that effect. Writing this, I realize it sounds like I'm talking about a 5 year old.

You aren't being fair to 5 yos.

LOL at this Congress getting any piece of major legislation done in the next 6 months.

Sounds like an excuse for the absence of any other legislative accomplishments in the second 6 months. Had to get this huge Dreamers program formally into law. Then Trump takes credit for providing so many hardworking immigrants a future with security and the ability to contribute to our society. Trump will claim a victory where Obama failed.

Instead of making scientists spend 20 years researching with mice, just grant the immigrants and pay the poors to participate in fast tracked human drug testing that solves the rich people's cancers. #MakeScienceGreatAgain

Looks like Jeff Sessions is making the announcement. I would laugh awfully hard if Trump made Sessions announce that he was going to defend DACA, which he hates.

More likely: Trump will demonstrate his cowardice in two ways. First, by making someone else do his dirty work. Second, by hiding behind the rule of law, which he doesn't give a flip about.

Meanwhile Jeff Sessions will demonstrate that he is willing to take the repeated public lashing out from his boss as long as he is allowed to deport children.

IMO, a ploy to get immigration reform going. GOP is freaking out. Simple solution to DACA is keep it going in some form. Making it legal in some way is better than the bullshit currently in place, which straddles the lines of legality and, as such, is subject to the whims of the President. Don't give them permanent residence, but some kind of temporary protected status until they're 25, assuming otherwise good behavior. Cannot give them permanent residence because that ultimately rewards the action that got them here in the first place and rewards the parents who did it and we're stuck here revisiting this same issue in 15 years. Enforcement must be several-fold, and if it is evident that there won't be a reward, or a very minimal and limited reward for breaking immigration laws, there will be less breaking of immigration laws long term. Any carrot held out will be rife with fraud and bullshit, of course, which is enough reason to not grant anything at all, but a temporary reprieve is sensible. Say ok to the kids, fuck you to their parents.

Last edited:
That would be one hell of a policy. For every dreamer that wants 100% legal citizenship their illegal parents must be deported or have already left. You have one year from the start of 2018 to register and until 2020 to comply, after that date anyone is considered an illegal.

Back