• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte Politics

Kenny Smith and Vi Lyles in a virtual dead heat. Finishing up a debate/discussion on WFAE.

This is a turnout election. Will be close.

If it is turnout-based then I assume that Lyles will win given that it is not a Presidential or Gubernatorial year, nobody cares about showing up for anything else and she can rally enough churches and similar organizations.

Just stopping by to say that I love Jeff Jackson.

If it is turnout-based then I assume that Lyles will win given that it is not a Presidential or Gubernatorial year, nobody cares about showing up for anything else and she can rally enough churches and similar organizations.

Charlotte mayoral elections are always on odd years. Lyles campaign doesn't have anywhere near the momentum that Anthony Foxx had.

Edwin Peacock ran in 2013 against Cannon and 2015 against Roberts. If he had gotten as many votes against Roberts as he did against Cannon (38,019) he would have won. It was just a lower turnout election.

IOW he had 45,036 votes in 2013 versus 38,019 in 2015. Roberts only got 41,749 votes in 2015.

But you're right that getting out the monolithic "Black Vote" helps Lyles.

Peacock was also a dipshit without any real qualifications other than his dad so I don't think anyone was turning out for him, just anti-Cannon which in hindsight was a smart vote.

Kenny is a better candidate than Peacock, but still not sure he can get people to turn out for him. Keuchly should run given all of his downtime.

Kenny is a fucking idiot. He still may be better than Lyles. But he is an absolute moron.

Peacock was also a dipshit without any real qualifications other than his dad so I don't think anyone was turning out for him, just anti-Cannon which in hindsight was a smart vote.

Kenny is a better candidate than Peacock, but still not sure he can get people to turn out for him. Keuchly should run given all of his downtime.

No meaningful difference between Edwin’s and Kenny’s qualifications.

You may be right, I don't know anything about Kenny other than the few times I've interacted with him. I agree he is a fucking idiot and, as I mentioned on the first page, a pompous asshole. I also agree that he may still somehow be better than Lyles. I can't see her running anything successful. Kenny might be able to bluff his way through it, Lyles' stupidity shows on the surface. I remember listening to her talk to the Top Golf development team because they needed a zoning variance because their "signage" is built into the building facade, and wondering how someone so dumb could have actual decision-making authority in this process.

Well, considering that the last three candidates the Democrats have run are Vi Lyles, Jennifer Roberts, and a guy who just got out of jail, Edwin and Kenny look like pretty decent qualified candidates.

Pos rep to the Dee Snider loses primary tagger.

Well, considering that the last three candidates the Democrats have run are Vi Lyles, Jennifer Roberts, and a guy who just got out of jail, Edwin and Kenny look like pretty decent qualified candidates.

Very good point. I would lump Anthony "Streetcar to Nowhere" Foxx in with the other three, but Obama would disagree.

We give the nod to Lyles, who we think is best-suited to lead Charlotte as it works through issues of economic mobility, police-community relations, non-discrimination and equality of opportunity.

In other words, they are endorsing her because she is black. None of their subsequent analysis of her qualifications has anything to do with those four issues (other than talking about her Keith Scott response, for which they give equal credit to Kenny), it talks about her experience in budgeting. Solid work, Observer, solid work. Whiteguiltcommielibs should be proud.

Kind of rainy on Election Day. No indication of the effect on turnout.

There were very few people at my polling station. Volunteers said it was steady but not busy.

Back