• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte Politics

So he shouldn't have run for office?

I would have voted for that dude over Vi Lyles for Mayor. At least it sounds like he has coherent thoughts on policy.

No, having the National Guard called on you is not how democracy is supposed to work. I don't necessarily disagree with most of what's in his platform. I just don't want to pay for it, especially when the Republicans in Congress are preparing to fuck me on my property tax deduction.

That’s impressive that the National Guard came out for one guy. Charlotte surprises sometimes.

a61f2f7986767fe786fc87fd0025755f.jpg.max800.jpg

Charlotte in line to win the Republican National Convention next week. Competing only against Las Vegas, which hasn't put together a formal bid. Mayor Vi Lyles (D) is conpleteely behind the bid. Only recently have some democrat city council members bothered to say they're not sure this is such a good idea since they hate Trump and like the rest of the country they're not sure having Trump's reelection RNC in their city is a great look. In short, our mayor is an idiot and our city council is filled with morons and Gen Z ingenues.

"All indications are Charlotte is the leading candidate and people connected to the process believe it is coming, but that is not finalized," a Republican official familiar with the proceedings told McClatchy.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article214649590.html

I don’t think people view hosting a convention as a wholesale endorsement from the city. It has the same pros and cons as hosting any large event.

I don’t think people view hosting a convention as a wholesale endorsement from the city. It has the same pros and cons as hosting any large event.

I know. We hosted the DNC in 2012. Would you not agree that hosting this RNC in this environment has more drawbacks than a typical large event ?

Literally, no one else has bothered to bid for this.

Not really. I think there will be fear and bluster but I doubt anything will actually happen aside from perhaps some restaurant incidents. Republicans should probably reserve restaurants ahead of time.

Looks like the DNC had 5 bids and Houston, Milwaukee, and Miami are the finalists.

Last edited:
You should lobby your city council to bid on the RNC for 2024 if you think it's no big deal. It's a huge PITA.

BTW, I agree with this guy on this issue and you disagree with him.

braxton1-2-800x430.jpg

You should lobby your city council to bid on the RNC for 2024 if you think it's no big deal. It's a huge PITA.

Probably too soon. My city hosted the RNC in 2012. It is a huge PITA. I just don’t think it’s going to be significantly worse due to Trump. Again, same pros and cons as usual.

City Council votes to support RNC bid 6-5. Maybe I’ll rent my house to some of my nutjob GA GOP friends.

Back