• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football - it's happening

Well that escalated quickly. So long BKF, weird that you can't take enjoyment at good kids winning some ball games.

July 15, 1985.

After 28 years from 1957, that day changed everything for me. I was giving the equivalent of $20K+ per year in today's dollars ($5,000 at the time) to the Deacon Club in the late 1970s.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the WCW Career Match between Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan. And much like that match one of the participants possibly murdered family. The parallels are endless.

July 15, 1985.

After 28 years from 1957, that day changed everything for me. I was giving the equivalent of $20K+ per year in today's dollars ($5,000 at the time) to the Deacon Club in the late 1970s.

I have an internet rule that says don't say anything you would not say to a man's face. And I'll say a lot to a face. Why are you so fucking bitter? Not getting it. Wake can do without your money, so why all the extra piling on and the hate for those twenty years younger than you? Give it up. Give us the root cause. We will help you through it.

We'll beat App easy. Cuse lost to MTSU. Duke goes back to back triple option teams before us and we're better. We get Louisville on their 9th game in a row. The old fool is gone and so too hopefully are the not funny at all Bob Knight insults that derail every thread he makes an appearance on.

Another proposal:

Bob can back out of the bet up to kickoff of the Syracuse game but in order to do so he has to give $1000 to a charity of my choosing.

Someone can quote for BKF

July 15, 1985.

The Boob Staak era should've satisfied your desire for vengeance. It about killed me. Like with some here and [Redacted] I was rooting for losses at the end of it. Dismal, dismal time to have been a Wake fan.

Another proposal:

Bob can back out of the bet up to kickoff of the Syracuse game but in order to do so he has to give $1000 to a charity of my choosing.

Quoted for bob, although he might have me on ignore, too.

Another proposal:

I will take BKF on the 6-6 bet, but escalate it with a 1k bet. Both our money needs to be in a holding account before kick off at App St. Fuck charity winner takes all.

I'm about the same age as BKF. There are two kinds of old white men. One is the " get off my lawn" grumpy old fucks and then there are others who take joy in the exuberance of youth that comes behind us. Science also plays apart. Grumpy old man syndrome is well defined in the psych literature. Usually associated with the lessening of testosterone production. As I have gotten old it's increasingly hard to tolerate dumb fucks, but BFK has everyone under thirty in that category. So I vote we contribute to a massive testosterone dose for BKF and bring him back to a normal societal range.

There is an irony in the statement that only the older posters, me included, May appreciate. I don't know for sure, but I think BKF is older than I or about my brother's age. My brother was at the tail end of the hippies and mainly hippy wanna-bes.

That group use to proclaim that anyone older than 30 should be killed (no establishment ). Now above 65, the cry is all folks under 30 are worthless.

Times have changed but the song still remains essentially the same...

And what is special about July 15, 1985?

Last edited:
The Boob Staak era should've satisfied your desire for vengeance. It about killed me. Like with some here and [name redacted] I was rooting for losses at the end of it. Dismal, dismal time to have been a Wake fan.

Carl eventually resigned in total frustration because he was being neither paid (I'd bet he was never paid more than $60K/year), supported (facilities were awful...had to go to another county to have a decent place to play home games), had a skeleton staff & recruiting budget, nor appreciated. (Gene Hooks met with his players behind his back & without his knowledge which undermined his control of the team.)

His direct quote to me when I asked him about it shortly after he resigned was: "When the battles you are fighting on the inside are tougher than the ones you are fighting on the outside, it's time to move on."

During this time the ACC was the strongest in its history from top to bottom. While Carl was at WF every team in the ACC except Maryland made at least one Elite Eight....and Maryland made three Sweet 16s. Four different ACC schools made the Final Four and three of them won NCAA Championships. In spite of all these obstacles he had to overcome in building a program that was also at rock bottom when he arrived, on top of everything else, he literally accomplished miracles...including the following:

1) He won 10 games against nationally ranked, Dean Smith-coached Carolina teams...including at Carmichael when they were ranked #1 in the country and at Carmichael when they ran up a 57-27 lead in the 2nd half.

2) He was 9-2 against Coach K....and the two losses both came in overtime.

3) He won 4 Big Four Championships....more than any other Big Four school.

4) He took Wake to two Elite Eights...with two completely different rosters. Bones also had two Elite Eight appearances and Dave Odom had one. And that's it for WF's entire basketball history.

5) He had the Deacs ranked as high as #3 in the nation.

Wake Forest deserved every single one of Bob Staak's losses...and more.

Last edited:
I will take BKF on the 6-6 bet, but escalate it with a 1k bet. Both our money needs to be in a holding account before kick off at App St. Fuck charity winner takes all.

Oh shit this is gettin gud

I used to make lots of money wagers on sports events. My last one was on October 22, 2001.....a Monday night NFL game between the Eagles & Giants. Sorry, but I cannot accommodate you with this....though it's not because I'm afraid of losing or don't have the money. As a matter of fact, that date is probably the reason why I do have the money.

I used to make lots of money wagers on sports events. My last one was on October 22, 2001.....a Monday night NFL game between the Eagles & Giants. Sorry, but I cannot accommodate you with this....though it's not because I'm afraid of losing or don't have the money. As a matter of fact, that date is probably the reason why I do have the money.

Ah, good for you. Exited for the boards bet though.

BKF: I am a peer of yours and have followed the Deacs since 1952. I also got to wear a Deacon uniform for a season. I don't recall the amazing details of all the contests that you do, but recall a good number of them (most). I enjoy your recalling them. You have been a huge Deac fan and supporter and we need people like you. So, Gene Hooks caused Carl Tacy to leave after not supporting him properly. A very dirty deal in your mind. But he was also there when 'Bones' left ( maybe that was Gibson) , and did fire Jackie Murdock too soon (later acknowledged he did). I assume Dr. Hooks was doing what he thought was best for Wake with the limitations he had. ( As a Baseball AA and member of our '55 Nat Champs, I have to feel he cared for Wake)

It's a new day in the ACC (not all good) and we have more money relative to our conference peers, than we ever had from 1953-> the new ACC. We can compete and seems to have coaches now that are making that happen. Last year was good year across the board. This year is off to a promising start.

Re-set yourself, and come back to and rejoin the fold. Many want you to do so. Cancel those crazy bets - even if should you win, we don't want to lose the other guys!!!

Wish you could use "Doc" Murphy as your role model. Remember, he would go up and down the aisle when things looked bad with his straw hat and umbrella saying "We got them where we want them" , and don't give up.

Last edited:
Townie went for the knock out blow against RJkarl, and while knocking him to the ground he couldn't finish, and almost ended his own career. Could this be the redemption?

Back