• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football - it's happening

jaybone

Reaction score
Really impressed with our corners right now. Bassey had made HUGE leaps form last year. Henderson is really good. Both are much much stronger than a year ago.

I think we go as far as our linebackers and O-line take us.

Can we stay healthy thru the meat of our schedule? Our healthy-ish?

We can beat Notre Dame, we can beat Louisville. Florida State is possible. I am sure we will have a WTF defeat. Georgia Tech or Syracuse or Duke, but I think we are really really good - a year ahead of what I assumed. Cannot wait to see if Wolford can keep it together against real defenses. Ditto for offensive line. They certainly gave him TONS of time yesterday.

Worried about our linebacker depth.

I'm worried the first three games aren't a good measure of how good we are. Still think, even with a win next week, that we struggle to get more than six wins in this schedule.

Duke's win against Northwestern was impressive. It will be interesting to see how they do in Crapel Hill next week.

Northwestern was missing two starting corners the week of the game and another was hurt early in the game.

I think we are very good. I think we are an edge of Top 25 team, that could move up if we stay healthy and the OL problems from the last few years are really improved. Hard to tell yet. The defense is good. Very good. And now it has an O to help keep it off the field. On O, we have 3 talented tailbacks. Young, too. A great TE. And speed and talent at the WR. Geez, Hines and Dortch especially make defense respect the deep ball, and even the short ball that can be turned into a long TD with that speed and talent of those guys. LB's and safeties have to worry themselves to death over a quick TD, and it opens up the run incredibly. I'm in RIC, and knew Dortch was the real deal. I fear the big boys are going to target him, though, and hope he stays healthy and confident. And Wolford has really turned into a weapon this year with the OL and surrounding playmakers. And he is like having a coach on the field: he plays within himself, doesn't panic and can run or pass. I expect this will be a really good season, and we'll find out if Clawson really likes it here or not. Oh, and punter its really good, and our K is extremely reliable. We've blown out the teams we should have blown out. And it is clear the team is hungry. Clawson is a helluva coach. And he's gotten some REALLY good players. This is not an LOWF year. We're good, and young and improving.

I'm worried the first three games aren't a good measure of how good we are. Still think, even with a win next week, that we struggle to get more than six wins in this schedule.
I really dont understand that mentality. We're very likely going to start the season 4-0, with remaining games against Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke and Syracuse.

I think beating Syracuse is a near lock, and we have 3 more opportunities to get our 6th win.

I think we are very good. I think we are an edge of Top 25 team, that could move up if we stay healthy and the OL problems from the last few years are really improved. Hard to tell yet. The defense is good. Very good. And now it has an O to help keep it off the field. On O, we have 3 talented tailbacks. Young, too. A great TE. And speed and talent at the WR. Geez, Hines and Dortch especially make defense respect the deep ball, and even the short ball that can be turned into a long TD with that speed and talent of those guys. LB's and safeties have to worry themselves to death over a quick TD, and it opens up the run incredibly. I'm in RIC, and knew Dortch was the real deal. I fear the big boys are going to target him, though, and hope he stays healthy and confident. And Wolford has really turned into a weapon this year with the OL and surrounding playmakers. And he is like having a coach on the field: he plays within himself, doesn't panic and can run or pass. I expect this will be a really good season, and we'll find out if Clawson really likes it here or not. Oh, and punter its really good, and our K is extremely reliable. We've blown out the teams we should have blown out. And it is clear the team is hungry. Clawson is a helluva coach. And he's gotten some REALLY good players. This is not an LOWF year. We're good, and young and improving.

6-month board ban says we don't go better than 2-7 in the last nine games. 6-6 or better and I'm gone for six months. 5-7 or worse and you're gone for six months.

Any takers?

Do you get any satisfaction or pleasure out of any wake sports anymore? You continually look for a way to remain miserable regardless of our results.

What's unusual about this start is usually even early wins against lesser opponents reveal ugly glaring weaknesses. Our RB run game looked like a problem but it may just be time for Byrd and Colburn to get the bulk of the carries.

We look like a very solid team who can compete in multiple facets of the game.

Last edited:
6-month board ban says we don't go better than 2-7 in the last nine games. 6-6 or better and I'm gone for six months. 5-7 or worse and you're gone for six months.

Any takers?

Don't say "we," you miserable old man, you forfeited that right a long time ago.

I really dont understand that mentality. We're very likely going to start the season 4-0, with remaining games against Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke and Syracuse.

I think beating Syracuse is a near lock, and we have 3 more opportunities to get our 6th win.

Leaving two tough chances to pick up a 7th. Which is what I said.

Well there is the kiss of death in the Syracuse game

Syracuse will be very tough to beat -- assuming their boy Dungee is healthy -- given it's in the Carrier Dome where we've never won or played well and that we beat them in 2016. Intangibles work against us. Still winnable, but a tough one.

What's unusual about this start is usually even early wins against lesser opponents reveal ugly glaring weaknesses. Our RB run game looked like a problem but it may just be time for Byrd and Colburn to get the bulk of the carries.

We look like a very solid team who can compete in multiple facets of the game.

I still think Carney is the best of the bunch. But would be happy to see each guy get 1/3 of the carries.

I think we will be a sexy upset pick against FSU and the Ville. We will have a shot at Tech and ND. And the other three will be toss ups.

Two toss ups or a toss up and an upset aren't hard to get. FO had us at 57% to get 6 wins and they only had us winning by 8 yesterday.

Back