• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crisis in Puerto Rico

This is fucking astounding even by Trump standards.

Trump: Military 'shouldn't have to be' distributing food in Puerto Rico

The president said that while federal agencies have provided "massive" amounts of food and water to Puerto Rico — where access to resources and power remains severely hampered by last month's storm — they should not also be expected to distribute them. Trump has previously said Puerto Ricans relied too much on federal government resources instead of a "community effort" to rebuild.

Story Continued Below

“We have massive amounts of water. We have massive amounts of food," Trump said at the White House, where he spoke alongside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. "But they have to distribute the food.”

Trump added: "We now actually have military distributing food — something that, really, they shouldn't have to be doing."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...co-military-food-distribution-243835?lo=ap_d1

Last edited:
A lot of people don't think the primary job of the military is to protect Americans unless they kill Muslims or whoever in the process.

Maybe it would help if Trump had a better working relationship with the president of Puerto Rico.

A lot of people don't think the primary job of the military is to protect Americans unless they kill Muslims or whoever in the process.

If by "a lot of people" you mean "it has been federal law for about 150 years," then yes. The National Guard of PR may be used for such things. By law, the US military is limited in what it can do unless domestic unrest pops up.

You don't think lack of food and water leads to domestic unrest?

If by "a lot of people" you mean "it has been federal law for about 150 years," then yes. The National Guard of PR may be used for such things. By law, the US military is limited in what it can do unless domestic unrest pops up.

You might want to read the Stafford Act.

You don't think lack of food and water leads to domestic unrest?

I didn't write the law. Use of troops is extremely limited unless (and until) there is civil unrest. The broader point here is that yes, the military is best equipped for killing bad guys and are trained very well for it. Their use domestically is severely curtailed for good reason. Even their use abroad as "peacekeepers" has been widely questioned in recent years when they have been used as such.

You might want to read the Stafford Act.

10 day limit, as I recall. PRNG or locals will have to step it up if they haven't already.

10 day limit, as I recall. PRNG or locals will have to step it up if they haven't already.

As far as I know, 10 days is only the limit if the Governor hasn't officially declared a disaster. After that, it's unlimited until there is no further need.

“I would give myself a 10” Trump said when asked by reporters how he would score his efforts, on a 1-10 scale.

The people!

Ramirez said the government should encourage those living in the hardest-hit areas to move to the mainland, out of the direct path of hurricanes and into communities with more-reliable infrastructure. "I object. I object. They should stay where they are and fix their own country up," Hogg responded softly, shaking his head, wrongly referring to the U.S. territory as a separate nation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...da835c-b344-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html

Tiny company in the hometown of Secretary of Interior Zinke has gotten the biggest contract to restore electricity to Puerto Rico. When I say small, the company had TWO full-time employees before getting this contract.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.e125765375b6

Remember Zinke is one of Trump's guy who was using private jets too often and is a climate change denier.

how in the fuck did that company get the job? they are literally not able to perform the task required.

Their knowledge of mountainous terrain puts them in a distinct advantage. And completely unrelated to this knowledge they currently have, they will need to hire a lot of manpower to get the work done.

Back