• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crisis in Puerto Rico

Let's move all the Puerto Ricans to FL and see what happens in elections.

That's already been happening over the last several years because of PR's awful economy. But that didn't help in 2016. Maybe next time with a better candidate.

That's already been happening over the last several years because of PR's awful economy. But that didn't help in 2016. Maybe next time with a better candidate.

Many have moved, but nothing like could happen now.

Dozens of Uncounted Deaths From Hurricane María Emerge in Puerto Rico

Many have moved, but nothing like could happen now.

Insider source tells me that Puerto Ricans are actually quite conservative economically and culturally. Sure they probably hate Trump, but long term they might make FL reder.

Insider source tells me that Puerto Ricans are actually quite conservative economically and culturally. Sure they probably hate Trump, but long term they might make FL reder.

Plenty of Puerto Ricans have already moved and it didn't turn FL blue. I'm not sure it will make FL redder, but I think Puerto Ricans are gradually moving left like other Latinos, but it's going to take awhile to fully get there.

If anyone is still looking for places to donate, my organization just did an internal fundraiser for the Light and Hope for Puerto Rico campaign (staff raised about $5500 that is being matched by $5000 from the org).

This campaign was started by 15 year old Salvador Gabriel whose goal is to raise $100,000 to provide Puerto Ricans with solar powered lights, mobile phone chargers, and manual washing machines. Salvador’s mission has resonated with many. In less than 30 days, the campaign raised just over $75,000 and gained support from organizations such as, Solar Sister, d.light, Omnivoltaic, Schneider Electric, and Cleancult. Unlike some crowdfunding campaigns, none of the money raised will go to overhead cost; all donations will be used to directly help people in Puerto Rico.

Plenty of Puerto Ricans have already moved and it didn't turn FL blue. I'm not sure it will make FL redder, but I think Puerto Ricans are gradually moving left like other Latinos, but it's going to take awhile to fully get there.

I heard an interview with a FL politics expert who explained this in more detail. Puerto Ricans who move directly to FL tend to be apolitical and are 50/50. Puerto Ricans who move to NYC first then move to FL tend to lean Dem.

I heard an interview with a FL politics expert who explained this in more detail. Puerto Ricans who move directly to FL tend to be apolitical and are 50/50. Puerto Ricans who move to NYC first then move to FL tend to lean Dem.

Well damnit, let's restrict their movement and make them all go to NYC first then to FL. If only there were a facility in NYC that was suitable for such a purpose....

It will be interesting to see how this current wave plays out though. Republicans are running the country and obviously don't give two shits about getting PR back on its feet, while lavishing cash and attention on Texas and Florida. Trump is the ringleader of the bunch. People who suffer under Republican neglect and have to flee their homes, probably leaving behind friends and family members who will continue to suffer, may not be as apolitical and 50/50 as past migrants from PR. Certainly they should be more open to political advertising/organizing by Dems that can easily blame all the suffering on the Pubs in charge and the Tweeter-in-Chief.

It will be interesting to see how this current wave plays out though. Republicans are running the country and obviously don't give two shits about getting PR back on its feet, while lavishing cash and attention on Texas and Florida. Trump is the ringleader of the bunch. People who suffer under Republican neglect and have to flee their homes, probably leaving behind friends and family members who will continue to suffer, may not be as apolitical and 50/50 as past migrants from PR. Certainly they should be more open to political advertising/organizing by Dems that can easily blame all the suffering on the Pubs in charge and the Tweeter-in-Chief.

This is true on a national level, but Rick Scott seems to be the one Republican who is aware how the influx of Puerto Ricans may impact politics in Florida and has been doing a lot for those that have been displaced.

He can't fix the neglect on the island, obviously. So yeah, we'll see how it plays out.

btw, the tax bill could really hurt Puerto Rico's economy:

GOP Tax Plan Would Batter Puerto Rico’s Economic Backbone

Official Death Toll in Puerto Rico: 64.
Actual Deaths May Be 1,052.

A review by The New York Times of daily mortality data from Puerto Rico’s vital statistics bureau indicates a significantly higher death toll after the hurricane than the government there has acknowledged.

The Times’s analysis found that in the 42 days after Hurricane Maria made landfall on Sept. 20 as a Category 4 storm, 1,052 more people than usual died across the island. The analysis compared the number of deaths for each day in 2017 with the average of the number of deaths for the same days in 2015 and 2016.

Officially, just 64 people died as a result of the storm that ravaged the island with nearly 150-mile-an-hour winds, cutting off power to 3.4 million Puerto Ricans. The last two fatalities were added to the death toll on Dec. 9.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Puerto Rico's governor wants recount of hurricane death toll

Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rosselló ordered a recount Monday of every death on the island since Hurricane Maria made landfall on September 20, as evidence continues to show that the official death toll grossly undercuts the true number, reports the New York Times.

By the numbers: The official death count is at 64. The Times' independent analysis, based on daily mortality data from Puerto Rico's vital statistics bureau, estimates that it's closer to 1,052.

Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Journalism also estimated that 1,065 more people than usual had died in September and October of 2017 than in the same period in 2016 and 2015.

Puerto Ricans aren't white, speak Spanish and their votes don't count in the electoral college. Why would Trump care about them?

They represent so many of his prejudices that unless "real Americans" in the south and midwest start complaining, Trump will do little or nothing to help them.

In all seriousness, I bet PR approves their next statehood referendum.

Back