• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crisis in Puerto Rico

Puerto Ricans had electricity before Maria. They had water. Republicans are acting like Maria didn't change anything.

This is a clear reminder that it's not just about illegal immigrants.

Remember when moonz lost his shit about the oil spill in the Gulf? Seems like this is a bigger issue.

Maria hit three weeks ago and there are still some parts of the island that haven't received aid.

Trump doesn't want his FEMA employees around those nasty Puerto Ricans. They aren't "real" Americans. Hell, many don't even speak English and don't have all the great words Trump has.

Trump doesn't want his FEMA employees around those nasty Puerto Ricans. They aren't "real" Americans. Hell, many don't even speak English and don't have all the great words Trump has.

Maybe it's racist or maybe it's because they have no electoral college or congressional votes. Texas and Florida gave Trump a lot of EC votes and supporters in congress, Puerto Rico and California (where 20+ people have died in wild fires and Trump hasn't offered help or said a single word) not so much.

(It's probably also racist.)

Maybe it's racist or maybe it's because they have no electoral college or congressional votes. Texas and Florida gave Trump a lot of EC votes and supporters in congress, Puerto Rico and California (where 20+ people have died in wild fires and Trump hasn't offered help or said a single word) not so much.

(It's probably also racist.)

That seems short sighted because where do you think Puerto Ricans are going to move if their homes don't get fixed? (Not that Trump is thinking that far ahead. But Rick Scott appears to be.)

Trump probably still thinks Puerto Rico is a vast distant land separated by impassable dark waters, not a 2 and half hour flight to Florida.

Rick Scott is running for senate and doesn't want angry Puerto Ricans voting against him.

FBI in Puerto Rico investigating if corrupt local officials are 'withholding' or 'mishandling' crucial supplies

Fox News headline on Puerto Rico

FBI in Puerto Rico investigating if corrupt local officials are 'withholding' or 'mishandling' crucial supplies

Fox News headline on Puerto Rico

Unless it's the Jews, we can't trust any of them damn minorities with any assets

As terrible as the optics of Trump's treatment of PR is, Global warming ain't getting any better. What's the point in rebuilding anything in the caribbean with public money at this point?

As terrible as the optics of Trump's treatment of PR is, Global warming ain't getting any better. What's the point in rebuilding anything in the caribbean with public money at this point?

Same question for Florida, Texas, Louisiana, New York, etc.

That seems short sighted because where do you think Puerto Ricans are going to move if their homes don't get fixed? (Not that Trump is thinking that far ahead. But Rick Scott appears to be.)

17D Chess. Voter fraud commission will handle the Latinos. Trump is playing a different game.

Same question for Florida, Texas, Louisiana, New York, etc.

Agreed (although I'm not too versed in NYC's risks other than I guess sea levels, and I haven't even read much about that). What's the actual answer?

Agreed (although I'm not too versed in NYC's risks other than I guess sea levels, and I haven't even read much about that). What's the actual answer?

Not worried about NYC? Have you heard of Hurricane Sandy? And what it did to Brooklyn and lower Manhattan? In my opinion the answer is to de populate barrier islands, depopulate 100 year’s flood zones, rebuild salt marshes, decentralize electricity grids in coastal communities, and engineer/build better runoff infrastructure and water management systems.

Not worried about NYC? Have you heard of Hurricane Sandy? And what it did to Brooklyn and lower Manhattan? In my opinion the answer is to de populate barrier islands, depopulate 100 year’s flood zones, rebuild salt marshes, decentralize electricity grids in coastal communities, and engineer/build better runoff infrastructure and water management systems.

Yes I've heard of hurricane Sandy, but that doesn't seem as likely as something hitting Galveston or New Orleans. And to be honest on the West Coast, yes I saw some images of like fucked up north jersey beach towns, but the attention span of americans is at an all time low and that was a few years ago.

Can tesla/technology/batteries change power grids?

Yes I've heard of hurricane Sandy, but that doesn't seem as likely as something hitting Galveston or New Orleans. And to be honest on the West Coast, yes I saw some images of like fucked up north jersey beach towns, but the attention span of americans is at an all time low and that was a few years ago.

Can tesla/technology/batteries change power grids?

Sandy did $32 billion in damage in New York. Serious stuff.

I don’t know about Tesla’s products.

Sandy did $32 billion in damage in New York. Serious stuff.

I don’t know about Tesla’s products.

$32 billion seems to be a small number nowadays. I also imagine we can find a way to break up hurricanes through #science. Surprised we haven't already, in fact.

How many feet does the sea level need to rise to fuck over NYC permanently?

What sucks is that a large chunk of climate change deniers are in the Midwest. In landlocked states that aren’t faced with a lot of unnatural weather events. They carry political clout and will keep denying climate change. Meanwhile poor countries in the Caribbean will continue to pay the price for our negligence. It’s sad.

Back