• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pop's brilliance about race.

Sure have. More importantly, the world has met us and they continue to come here for all of the freedoms and opportunity our Country provides. The feet vote is in.

Honest question: do you know how the "feet vote" compares post election to pre election, especially from the developed world?

All this butthurt over the protest is completely contrived by the right. They did the same about flag-burning 30 years ago, about the pledge of allegiance 20 years ago, and on and on and on. Pandering, pandering, pandering. When it comes to really honoring the troops, the right votes to cut veterans benefits, take GIs into wars of financial opportunity and spill their blood for profit, heap the costs of war on to the middle class, etc. But they know the dullest knives in the drawer will be triggered by some flag burning or a guy kneeling during a fucking song.

You're all full of shit.

You're a fucking snowflake of the highest order.

Or perhaps I'm not lulled by the sweet song of vapid, useless protests. If every single NFL player in every single game took a knee, what changes tomorrow? Have fun patting yourselves on the back for empathy, but a lack of empathy ain't the problem, or the solution.

Or perhaps I'm not lulled by the sweet song of vapid, useless protests. If every single NFL player in every single game took a knee, what changes tomorrow? Have fun patting yourselves on the back for empathy, but a lack of empathy ain't the problem, or the solution.

The fact that you're so bothered by the protests and talking about them is proof of their success. Good job, good effort!

But if no one took a knee in protest would that accomplish anything or would it allow the powers that be to feel vindicated in all there contributory actions?

The fact that you're so bothered by the protests and talking about them is proof of their success. Good job, good effort!

With "success" like "this", it's almost like you'd never lose. What's the word for that, again? I'm sure it will come to me...

But if no one took a knee in protest would that accomplish anything or would it allow the powers that be to feel vindicated in all there contributory actions?

Let's evolve past feelings into thoughts. Do you believe police brutality is holding back 13% of our population?

With "success" like "this", it's almost like you'd never lose. What's the word for that, again? I'm sure it will come to me...

meh, whitebread micro-olds from the north carolina suburbs are talking about racial inequality and police brutality

y'all won't be the vanguard or anything, but the sooner that this dialogue becomes inescapable, the better the situation will be for those who are

Even more people will be paying attention, for better or worse, on the racial injustice being protested. Maybe the protest snowballs into something bigger or maybe it fizzles out, who knows, but judging a protest by the change it brings tomorrow is shitty logic.

I'm pretty sure the first couple of sit-ins and freedom rides didn't bring about instant change. But they got people's attention and were part of a movement that did ultimately bring about change.

Let's evolve past feelings into thoughts. Do you believe police brutality is holding back 13% of our population?

382.gif

It's only been two pages and we are already in range

meh, whitebread micro-olds from the north carolina suburbs are talking about racial inequality and police brutality

y'all won't be the vanguard or anything, but the sooner that this dialogue becomes inescapable, the better the situation will be for those who are

Can I be on the vanguard of the discussion about raising your own children? Finishing high school? Taking available work? If you have to choose which vanguard to be on, pick one that actually produces results.

Good luck with the protests, though.

Even more people will be paying attention, for better or worse, on the racial injustice being protested. Maybe the protest snowballs into something bigger or maybe it fizzles out, who knows, but judging a protest by the change it brings tomorrow is shitty logic.

I'm pretty sure the first couple of sit-ins and freedom rides didn't bring about instant change. But they got people's attention and were part of a movement that did ultimately bring about change.

False equivalence. The guys at the Woolworth counter were actually oppressed by actual barriers in the actual law that obstructed access to resources and opportunities that weren't widely available in the 1950's and 1960's. Those laws aren't there in 2017.

That, of course, does not mean racism and prejudice aren't factors in 2017. They are, we all know this, but it would take the mind of a complete simpleton (no offense, you know who you ares) to throw one's hands up and say, "Yeah, racism is the cause of [insert problem here]."

False equivalence. The guys at the Woolworth counter were actually oppressed by actual barriers in the actual law that obstructed access to resources and opportunities that weren't widely available in the 1950's and 1960's. Those laws aren't there in 2017.

That, of course, does not mean racism and prejudice aren't factors in 2017. They are, we all know this, but it would take the mind of a complete simpleton (no offense, you know who you ares) to throw one's hands up and say, "Yeah, racism is the cause of [insert problem here]."

Disagreeing with the cause of the protest is different than arguing that the protest is ineffective.

On the time scale of two days (today and tomorrow) almost all acts of protest are relatively ineffective. We don't have the benefit of 50 years hindsight to judge the effectiveness of this protest. For our country's sake I hope it is at least as successful as those sit ins were.

Jhmd, do YOU have a theory on what's holding back 13% of the population?

You do? Great! Would you like to share it with the boards?

You would? Fantastic!

Sure. There were 258 black people killed by police officers in 2016 (39 of which were unarmed). My theory? Not that.

Incidentally, there were also 39 people killed by lightning in the same year. When's the protest?

Back