• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pop's brilliance about race.

Let's evolve past feelings into thoughts. Do you believe police brutality is holding back 13% of our population?

Police brutality, no. Entrenched racism which is a factor in police brutality is certainly one thing in holding people back.

Sure. There were 258 black people killed by police officers in 2016 (39 of which were unarmed). My theory? Not that.

Incidentally, there were also 39 people killed by lightning in the same year. When's the protest?

Those who are atheists have registered there protests.

Disagreeing with the cause of the protest is different than arguing that the protest is ineffective.

On the time scale of two days (today and tomorrow) almost all acts of protest are relatively ineffective. We don't have the benefit of 50 years hindsight to judge the effectiveness of this protest. For our country's sake I hope it is at least as successful as those sit ins were.

That's fine. I'll concede that I can't say for certain what will happen tomorrow, but what are these protests going to change? Are people in favor of police brutality? Step outside the jerk in the round for a moment and tell me the names of the people who are happy when the police are involved in a shooting? We're confusing the symptom with the disease again.

Sure. There were 258 black people killed by police officers in 2016 (39 of which were unarmed). My theory? Not that.

Incidentally, there were also 39 people killed by lightning in the same year. When's the protest?

Are you saying that 15% of black people killed by police officers were unarmed?

Also, this is just an incredibly disingenuous comparison, but you know that.

It takes some mental gymnastics to not understand how police brutality, mass incarceration, and other criminal justice issue contribute to the prevalence of single parent households.

It takes some mental gymnastics to not understand how police brutality, mass incarceration, and other criminal justice issue contribute to the prevalence of single parent households.

Don't forget lightning.

That's fine. I'll concede that I can't say for certain what will happen tomorrow, but what are these protests going to change? Are people in favor of police brutality? Step outside the jerk in the round for a moment and tell me the names of the people who are happy when the police are involved in a shooting? We're confusing the symptom with the disease again.

The goal is to raise awareness to everybody (clearly accomplished), while also working together with police departments across the country through fiscal and policy change to help lower the amount of folks, particularly those of color, from getting killed at disproportionate rates.

This includes getting more mental health professionals in the field, hopefully demilitarizing the police force at some point, and helping change a culture that is way too prevalent amongst police officers that allow bad cops to remain and not be punished or fired for gross incompetence that puts people's lives in dangers.

Are you suggesting that Karpernick's protest is solely about police brutality? Or that police brutality is limited to murder?

Surely not. Right?

Not me. HuffPo. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...by-police-america_us_577da633e4b0c590f7e7fb17

U.S. police killed at least 258 black people in 2016, according to a project by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America.

Thirty-nine of these people were unarmed.

...and you don't seem think that 15% of people dying at the hands of police officers who do not hold a weapon is an issue?

Or is your point that it's too small of an issue in your mind for this many folks to be focused on? We should be focused on other things instead of this?

...and you don't seem think that 15% of people dying at the hands of police officers who do not hold a weapon is an issue?

An issue in those cases? Of course (and any honest reader wouldn't have to have that explained to them).

But I also don't think you can extrapolate from those cases that this country---and its flag and anthem---harbor hatred for 39,000,000 other people.

An issue in those cases? Of course (and any honest reader wouldn't have to have that explained to them).

But I also don't think you can extrapolate from those cases that this country---and its flag and anthem---harbor hatred for 39,000,000 other people.

I'm not sure I understand your second sentence and I've read it at least 10 times.

CK isn't taking a knee because he thinks 39M people hate people of color. That's a completely ridiculous conclusion to come to from what has occurred.

I'm not sure I understand your second sentence and I've read it at least 10 times.

CK isn't taking a knee because he thinks 39M people hate people of color. That's a completely ridiculous conclusion to come to from what has occurred.

39 million people constitute 13% of 300,000,000 Americans. #SAT

Or is your point that it's too small of an issue in your mind for this many folks to be focused on? We should be focused on other things instead of this?

I'm a pragmatist. If cops killed 39 unarmed black people in our country last year, we can all agree that that is 39 people too many (s/o to my boi Townie). For context, drunk driving killed 10,265 people last year.

My point is, if we really cared about the problem and the solution, we'd look at the factors that are impacting those 39 million people. Literally one in one million of them will be shot by police while unarmed, but a fillibuster proof majority of that same community will be born into a fatherless home. What do you think is their bigger problem: the one in a million phenomenon (that the left feels comfortable talking about) or something that impacts a supermajority? This is the part where someone on the left says, "Hey man, these protests are important, because you need to feel uncomfortable, and only when you feel uncomfortable will this problem get better." That response---self-gratifying and toothless as ever, is the height of hypocrisy from people who go out of their way to focus the discussion on only those factors that they (left-leaning white people) feel comfortable talking about.

http://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

Despite Planned Parenthood's best efforts, 640,079 black people were born in the United States in 2015. If 74% are born into fatherless homes, this is a problem that will impact 473,658 people.

Which one do you think is worthy of a national dialogue?

source.gif

Back