• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pop's brilliance about race.

I've said this before, but there are two options with Trump:

1. He is legitimately a racist.
2. He's not a racist, but knows what appeals to racists to make sure he gets the white voice and "shores up" his base (see the speech on Friday).

The more I hear, the more I think it is the second one because he literally has no opinion or hard stance on anything other than what makes him money. I would argue the second one is worse because he knows it's wrong (in theory?) or just doesn't care. Regardless, it's horrifying that we have a POTUS who is either appealing to racists because he knows it gets him support, or is just plain racist.

I've said this before, but there are two options with Trump:

2. He's not a racist, but knows what appeals to racists to make sure he gets the white voice and "shores up" his base (see the speech on Friday).

The more I hear, the more I think it is the second one because he literally has no opinion or hard stance on anything other than what makes him money. I would argue the second one is worse because he knows it's wrong (in theory?) or just doesn't care. Regardless, it's horrifying that we have a POTUS who is either appealing to racists because he knows it gets him support, or is just plain racist.

Y'all are overthinking this; he's a racist. He may not be as racist as some of his supporters so there is certainly some of #2 going on, but he is definitely a racist.

It's actually :

2. He knows what will rile up his base.

As Maya Angelou said, "When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time."

He told us who he is in having his rental agents put "C" on applications from blacks.
He told us who he is when got fined for discrimination in hiring and promotions in Atlantic City.
He told who he is when he said Mexicans were rapists, murderers and thugs.
He told us who he is with the Khans.
He told us who he is with Judge Curiel.
He told us who he saying there "many fine people" in the group that was screaming "Seig Heil", "Jews will not replace us" and "white Power".

There are other incidents like these in his life. But some people here even give him a pass. It's very simple. If you support Trump, you support virulent, overt, unashamed racism.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

The narrative that Trump is this blank canvas that flows easily according to popular opinion has always seemed odd to me. His character has remained pretty consistent throughout the course of his life and part of that character is disdain for black and brown people.

If we learned anything from the Central Park 5 incident, then it should've been this.

Trump was courting the jhmds of the world long before Twitter.

If we learned anything from the Central Park 5 incident, then it should've been this.

Trump was courting the jhmds of the world long before Twitter.

You guys have grown so accustomed to this laziness it's sad. What a waste of....something. I was going to say talent, but that feels less right by the day.

I want people to raise their own children, finish their education and work. I want that because those things actually produce results. You guys want to be seen caring, but when I outline what reasonable expectations are required in order to advance in our society, you guys start to run a little low on the belief quotient, and suddenly here comes the excuse parade. Pop is right: it is time for white people to feel uncomfortable, he just has the wrong white people in mind.

Not jh

He didn't vote for trump

Just gleefully defends his every move

Jh is a big Reagan and HW fan - I'm sure there were plenty of law and order republicans who liked what the Donald had to say back then

You guys have grown so accustomed to this laziness it's sad. What a waste of....something. I was going to say talent, but that feels less right by the day.

I want people to raise their own children, finish their education and work. I want that because those things actually produce results. You guys want to be seen caring, but when I outline what reasonable expectations are required in order to advance in our society, you guys start to run a little low on the belief quotient, and suddenly here comes the excuse parade. Pop is right: it is time for white people to feel uncomfortable, he just has the wrong white people in mind.

Your posting suggests otherwise.

You may want that stuff, but you don't support a single initiative that could bring about meaningful change for those communities. You're the worst type of concern troll if you're serious and the worst kind of troll if you're not.

Jh is a big Reagan and HW fan - I'm sure there were plenty of law and order republicans who liked what the Donald had to say back then

Your posting suggests otherwise.

You may want that stuff, but you don't support a single initiative that could bring about meaningful change for those communities. You're the worst type of concern troll if you're serious and the worst kind of troll if you're not.

It's odd that "my" [spoiler: not at all "mine", but very much "ours"] suggestions are so unacceptable to you as a plan of action for other communities. "It's not a policy" is the greatest pile of garbage ever amassed by the Left on this Board. Really? It is in your life.

It's odd that "my" [spoiler: not at all "mine", but very much "ours"] suggestions are so unacceptable to you as a plan of action for other communities. "It's not a policy" is the greatest pile of garbage ever amassed by the Left on this Board. Really? It is in your life.

What is your policy? What is your plan of action?

I'm at the dentist for a few more hours, so I'm willing to stick around and listen.

I have yet to see you post anything about policy whatsoever on this board.

All you ever talk about is two-parent household. That's not policy.

How do we get to more sustainable two-parent households, particularly with regards to African-American communities?

Education, support from the government, and equality with regards to policing, courts, and sentencing would go a long way.

That's what we are talking about when we discuss "institutional racism."

What is your policy? What is your plan of action?

I'm at the dentist for a few more hours, so I'm willing to stick around and listen.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. You got to Wake Forest because you had a family that loved you and cared about you, was able to provide for you (yes, we have disagreements about the best way to help people provide, but No, neither one of us has all of the answers in this department) and an education system that permitted you to attain your given potential (see last comment). That's it. That's the key.

Government programs aren't going to do that. Not now, not ever. Blaming systemic forces won't either. We know what works, we just have to cut the bullshit and low expectations. Accept no substitutes.

I have yet to see you post anything about policy whatsoever on this board.

All you ever talk about is two-parent household. That's not policy.

How do we get to more sustainable two-parent households, particularly with regards to African-American communities?

Education, support from the government, and equality with regards to policing, courts, and sentencing would go a long way.

That's what we are talking about when we discuss "institutional racism."

Because government can't fix all of your problems. Breaking: there is no government solution to some issues.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. You got to Wake Forest because you had a family that loved you and cared about you, was able to provide for you (yes, we have disagreements about the best way to help people provide, but No, neither one of us has all of the answers in this department) and an education system that permitted you to attain your given potential (see last comment). That's it. That's the key.

Government programs aren't going to do that. Not now, not ever. Blaming systemic forces won't either. We know what works, we just have to cut the bullshit and low expectations. Accept no substitutes.

Okay, so you have suggested the broad genre of policy that doesn't work, but I haven't seen a policy suggestion or plan of action. You suggest that "we know what works" - what does this translate into policy-wise? What plan of action supports this notion?

Come on. This is a safe space. Just give it a go. Lord knows that the zoning/planning and ACA threads have scorching policy hot takes for days...

b643b8dfc21949ee_12376188_1760540480841564_192205730408626202_n.jpg

Okay, so you have suggested the broad genre of policy that doesn't work, but I haven't seen a policy suggestion or plan of action. You suggest that "we know what works" - what does this translate into policy-wise? What plan of action supports this notion?

Come on. This is a safe space. Just give it a go. Lord knows that the zoning/planning and ACA threads have scorching policy hot takes for days...

Please tell the communities it works in every day that it doesn't work.

Please tell the communities it works in every day that it doesn't work.

Which communities and what is "that?"

I see that historical policies that legalized and encouraged racial residential segregation and the unequal distribution of post-war aid have resulted in the concentration of wealth and even above average municipal services in white, suburban neighborhoods that we see now. I'm assuming that these are the ones that you're talking about. Furthermore, policies that have encouraged mass incarceration and the law and order enforcement of the drug war disproportionately affected working class communities of color, despite the fact that drug related crime ran rampant in middle class white communities, as well.

Even thinking more recently, for instance, foreclosure crises of the 2000s, which were made possible by awful policy (Clinton's being the icing on the cake), disproportionately robbed upwardly mobile people of color of the most valuable vehicle of intergenerational wealth transfer and social (not to mention residential) mobility in American history.

The communities that I'm assuming that you're referring to are the way that they are because policymakers wanted them to be that way. Starting from the notion that "this works in middle class white communities" is probably not your best argument.

Which communities and what is "that?"

I see that historical policies that legalized and encouraged racial residential segregation and the unequal distribution of post-war aid have resulted in the concentration of wealth and even above average municipal services in white, suburban neighborhoods that we see now. I'm assuming that these are the ones that you're talking about. Furthermore, policies that have encouraged mass incarceration and the law and order enforcement of the drug war disproportionately affected working class communities of color, despite the fact that drug related crime ran rampant in middle class white communities, as well.

Even thinking more recently, for instance, foreclosure crises of the 2000s, which were made possible by awful policy (Clinton's being the icing on the cake), disproportionately robbed upwardly mobile people of color of the most valuable vehicle of intergenerational wealth transfer and social (not to mention residential) mobility in American history.

The communities that I'm assuming that you're referring to are the way that they are because policymakers wanted them to be that way. Starting from the notion that "this works in middle class white communities" is probably not your best argument.

it works in the Asian-American community better than any other. But we don't talk about that.

it works in the Asian-American community better than any other. But we don't talk about that.

Plenty of people talk about that; perhaps you don't, but people do, particularly scholars that address the same questions that you love dancing around on half of the threads on the Tunnels. You just need to leave your bubble.

How do you think historical patterns of immigration and access to mortgage capital factored into that equation? Hint: they factor into the equation quite a bit.

Can you compare the discriminatory policies that Asians and African-Americans faced over the same period of time between 1945-present?

Last I checked, even Japanese-Americans have since received reparations for the discrimination that they faced at the hands of the United States government. (That was your boy, Reagan, btw.)

Dude, we all want that. Some of us actually do work to help make that happen.

You've been posting this shit for as long as I can remember and have still never answered:

1. How do we as a society make that happen

2. Why do you think there is a racial disparity in two parent households

Either continue your argument past a generally agreed upon premise or shut the fuck up already

Back