• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pop's brilliance about race.

Go to your black friends who are successful, married fathers and ask them if systemic racism is a mythical excuse created by liberals and coopted by black men to take an easy ride and have someone to blame, and get back to us.

I'm going to go out of a limb and say there are people on this board who won't believe what successful married black fathers say unless it fits their own beliefs.

Good read:
https://chartwellwest.com/2017/09/27/__trashed-2/

And this is the reality:
In an economy that has begun, in earnest, to devalue low skilled labor and pay higher and higher premiums for higher skilled labor, something else is happening. What was once segregation that was mandated by law is now transitioning into economic segregation because of the widening wage gap. More African American children attend schools of majority African American population today than they did in the 80’s. Our urban populations are now a majority minority for the first time in our history. America is walling ourselves off from African Americans again. We just don’t need to build the wall ourselves anymore. Economics and math are doing it for us.
It’s not getting better. It’s getting worse.
So, how should the three living generations of African Americans feel about the inequality that inarguably comes from a country that treated the first 17 generations of their ancestors like a lesser species of man?
Respectful?
Grateful?
Angry?
How about conflicted? If they are unhappy, which ones should speak up? Those with power? Or those without it?
Like it or not, showing up on my television is power.
When an African American is shot and killed by a white police officer, how should a black man feel about it? Is it respectful to feel the same way I feel when a white man is shot? Don’t break the law and you’ll be ok?
Or is it different for some reason?
Should I feel different about the justice system if I’m black?
If I’m treated differently by the American justice system, does that matter?
African Americans are nearly three times as likely to be stopped for a traffic violation than I am. They’re half as likely to be granted bail and 40% more likely to be sent to jail after an arraignment instead of released on their own recognizance. They’re 50% more likely to receive a plea that includes prison time instead of probation, time served or community service. They’re twice as likely to have a juror struck from the pool during their trial due to a fundamental disagreement with the death penalty. They’re twice as likely to receive a life sentence or longer in prison.
Does it matter how much of your country’s history passed before she protected you?
In the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s, bills outlawing lynch mob extrajudicial punishment passed in the House of Representatives. Each time, they were struck down in the Senate. In 2005, the Senate of the United States of America formally apologized for never passing an anti-lynching law. Between 1877 and 1950, a year in which both my parents were already alive, there were 3,959 African Americans killed by lynching.
More Americans than were killed on 9/11.
More than the American servicemen that died in Afghanistan.
Does any of that change how the African American community feels when a black man is killed by white authority figure in America. Or is it all just water under the bridge?

The author:
https://chartwellwest.com/about-chartwell-west/the-author/

Sean is a writer, veteran, non-profit founder (care4us.org), tech leader and a special needs father.
A veteran of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom and a Bronze Star recipient, Sean launched the data, politics and society blog chartwellwest.com in 2015. Since then, the site has drawn over a million readers and has been featured in the online magazines Quartz and Discovery.
Sean brings a contrarian point of view and a rare range and depth of knowledge, experience and passion to the web. Objective and clear eyed, his work challenges us all to look deeper with a moral authority and perspective so desperately needed for today’s America.
He is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy, The University of San Diego Graduate School of Business and separated from the Navy at the rank of Commander. He writes and leads high performing teams in the consumer technology sector in California where he lives with his wife Annette and three boys.

nah that guy has never made a sacrifice for anyone, knows nothing about hard work and family values, is clearly drowning in white guilt, and has let liberal snowflakes seeking reassurance for their pitiful existence through misplaced sympathy for lazy, promiscuous blacks MESS UP HIS MIND.

This stuff is simple. White guys from Sherwood Forest who's parents bought them educations know this shit instinctively.

nah that guy has never made a sacrifice for anyone, knows nothing about hard work and family values, is clearly drowning in white guilt, and has let liberal snowflakes seeking reassurance for their pitiful existence through misplaced sympathy for lazy, promiscuous blacks MESS UP HIS MIND.

This stuff is simple. White guys from Sherwood Forest who's parents bought them educations know this shit instinctively.

Since I didn't get my answer from MDMH, how many people have you personally hired for full-time jobs with benefits sufficient to support a family who have not completed their high school educations? Take all the time you need. It's probably a huge number.

Feelings are not a plan of action.

What's the point? That it's hard to offer/receive a full-time job with benefits sufficient to support a family if you've not completed your high school education?

Anyone disagree?

I'm going to go out of a limb and say there are people on this board who won't believe what successful married black fathers say unless it fits their own beliefs.

Can't rep, but

5930d53077224509180a57bc6b13c87c69c91fb431f8edd81f45dd938a3352c0.jpg

Since I didn't get my answer from MDMH, how many people have you personally hired for full-time jobs with benefits sufficient to support a family who have not completed their high school educations? Take all the time you need. It's probably a huge number.

If the question was "what advice would you give a classroom of poor, minority 10 year olds on how to break the cycle of poverty?" Then "stop worrying about racism and focus on finishing high school, not having children young, and take whatever work you can get" would be a decent, though incomplete answer.

That's not the question, though. The question that has been posed to you time and time again is "what do you think is holding the African American community back and what can we as a society do about it?"

Your proposed solution is basically hoping that a new generation of individuals make better choices despite being in the exact same conditions as their ancestors. Without realizing it, you are advocating doing the same thing over and over again and then expecting different results.

Jhmd,

I'll save you the time of typing your diatribe on how the welfare state is creating dependency in these communities and must be removed so that individuals will have an easier time making the choices you suggest. I'll concede the point for the sake of argument.

Why not remove other barriers to making those choices, like systemic racism?

We all understand that an individual is unlikely to be able to change the systemic racism that is holding them back so they are better off focusing on making the best choices available to them. But surely through collective action we can address what you seem to agree is a major problem preventing certain communities from making the choices you propose.

I coach the San Antonio Spurs, and I endorse this idea.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...ining-for-white-students-studying-abroad.html

Two university professors are arguing white college students need robust diversity training confronting their “privileged identity” before embarking on extended trips to foreign countries.

David Thomas and Zoe Luba, professors at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick, Canada, released an article Monday in which they argued white students thinking about studying abroad should seek programs that tackle their “white fragility” as to not risk perpetuating “harmful outcomes,” especially in countries in Africa and Asia. ...

n the piece, titled “White fragility and the white student abroad: using critical race theory to analyze international experiential learning,” they said the programs would help students understand their “own privileged identity” – be it cultural background, gender, race, class, sexual orientation or ability.

Thomas and Luba, who based their article on fieldwork in Mysore, India, said such programs would ensure white students do not have a “detrimental” impact on the countries they visit.

They noted his programming would only be a starting point for students.

“The antidote to white fragility is on-going and life-long, and includes sustained engagement, humility, and education,” the professors concluded. “It’s an ongoing and often painful process of seeking to uncover our socialization at its very roots. It asks us to rebuild this identity in new and often uncomfortable ways.”

What's the over/under on number of posters on this thread who actually have hiring authority?

The point I am arguing is that systemic racism exists all over America, and it is unjust to black people of all education and economic levels - which is what the wealthy, successful black men in the NFL were peacefully protesting - that jhmd stated or implied was a waste of time and not a solution to anything. Since many people deny systemic racism is even a thing (see BKF), then raising awareness that it does exist is absolutely a solution.

like Popovich said, many whites are afraid of this conversation (see jhmd), so he turns his head and tries every day to change the subject. He pivots to the bad choices the black men make in their lives to deflect attention from the racism and focus it on poor decision-making, which we all agree is also a factor. That frustrates him because there is no argument from anyone meaning its time to look at the difficult part of the equation, so he tries to tell us we don't agree and are arguing with him. Used to be amusing as a clever troll, but now its just oddly disturbing.

Last edited:
What's the over/under on number of posters on this thread who actually have hiring authority?

Ive hired 6 people in the past 2 years. All IT workers, all have high school diplomas and some post high school tech education.

My wife has hired about 8-10 in the past 3 years in our small business - a commercial kitchen/storefront. I'm not sure of the education levels, but I am pretty sure at least 2 don't have high school diploma.

That is not the point of the NFL protests, jhmd is deflecting to an argument that doesn't exist, we already all agree with him on that point.

Last edited:
Back