• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I haven't been able to follow this very closely. Was the NCAA involved in the investigation or did the FBI do it without them, even without their knowledge?

Unless the NCAA was involved on the front end, it would seem that this is a huge embarrassment for them and perhaps worse.

Sorry if all of this has been discussed already.

The NCAA was not involved.

Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey decommitted from the Ville. Simons is #8 and Ramey is #49 on ESPN for 2018.

thanks.

So the largest scandal in decades and the NCAA was unaware or inactive?

According to the AUSA at yesterday's Noon presser, the NCAA found out about this investigation at the same time you and I did.

The DOJ gave them the Pakistani-treatment.

Sorry guys and gals. I did not realize how big Tapatalk was making the pictures I was uploading.

thanks.

So the largest scandal in decades and the NCAA was unaware or inactive?

There was an article posted a few pages back about this. Recall that it discussed the obvious about the incentive to not find violations because it would hurt the NCCAA's image/lose $, and said in the NCAA's defense that it lacks certain powers the government has, like subpoena power, so investigating these matters is a lot more difficult.

On Outside the Lines today, they said there are rumors that some at the NCAA requested the FBI/AG to get involved due to their impotence. Interesting if true.

I'll tell you what...that Bagley 5* to Duke was really, err, odd. It smells of foul play upon this new information. Time to take the rat down!

Also one of their top '18 recruits was seen by TMZ out at lunch w/ Lebron & his agent a day or two prior to committing to Duke. Of course that was pure & innocent too.

When are we turning over the WakeyLeaks documents to the FBI? FBI is the only real way to get stuff done. Please bypass the NCAA for WakeyLeaks. We need an Assistant U.S. Attorney in our corner immediately. Maybe that will finally take down Petrino too. Someone put together the info for the hotline where you call it in?

Hotline number is 212-384-2135. If need be, I can put together the tip on behalf of Wake Football. Lmk how we should proceed.

Someone who would know just told me "this is such a strange group of people to go after, there are far bigger offenders".

Yeah I don't think the initial investigation was targeting college basketball - I think it was investigating Adidas and this is collateral damage. Once they got onto the collateral damage though and realized how much was there, I think they're going to stay on it.

This will be the biggest scandal in NCAA history by far. It will ensnare a substantial number of people and forever alter the landscape of college athletics and oversight.

Are your scandal predictions as good as your Hurricane Irma predictions? Is anyone able to live in Florida yet, or is it still underwater?

FWIW, the US Attorney leading the prosecution, Joon Kim, went to Stanford. Nike school.

Back