• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Hate to spread rumors, but the word here in Atlanta is that Russell Athletic may have been involved in a "pay for play" scheme which directed 2-star recruits to "ACC School-16" by providing them w/ Chick-Fil-A coupons and MARTA Breeze cards.

7/10. i snorted.

Meh grew up a state fan, UNC didn't have a PG need, signed with UA after summer league. Sketchiest recruitments were Kapita and Rowan

Yep. People are struggling to understand this in there haste to label NCSU as a dirty program. I've already described why DSJ won't be the problem here but at this point it's beating a dead horse.

A lot of coaches are obviously going to be taking a lot of Maalox for the next few months over this. I don't blame the kids at all and if the NCAA had agreed to a 50-75K stipend for players years ago, it certainly would have made some of this superfluous. For those out there (and I was one for a long time) that thinks the college athletes are true amateurs now, let me introduce you to the old "amateur" Soviet sports teams. Money drives the wagon and schools must jump in to some extent or another, or get run over. I suspect a federal agency of some sort will be set up to oversee college athletics as mentioned above and that will be the death knell for college athletics when they do. Remember politics is the second oldest profession and a whole lot less fun and more damaging than #1

I agree. Dennis Smith is a deadend. I am really interested in the Bagley situation. Based on the players named, schools in essentially bidding wars for 5star talent are in the crosshairs. For us, that means Giles with Duke/Kansas and Chaundee with Kansas. Feel pretty confident that Danny has been going about it the right way, but he did go play for Kansas and Larry Brown after his Dad got a job. He's def no virgin.

If Miami is involved you can start to feel the underlying whispers of sympathy for Pitino. I would assume the Miami assistant coach worked with Larranaga unaware and was doing it for extra cash ...

**cough**cough** NC State doesn't land Dennis Smith Jr based on their merits as a program or based on the quality of their coaching staff.

I expect UNC fans to have a good laugh when NC State gets named and faces penalties.

Weren't we a finalist for, and perhaps even runner up for, Dennis Smith? What would have been more unlikely at the time?

Anyway, don't see what was unusual about NCSU getting Smith. He was from NC. That class was loaded with PGs. Gottfried always recruited good talent, just couldn't retain or develop it. Also, Smith didn't even sign with adidas, so unless he took a bribe and then didn't follow through, seems like a dead end.

Hate to spread rumors, but the word here in Atlanta is that Russell Athletic may have been involved in a "pay for play" scheme which directed 2-star recruits to "ACC School-16" by providing them w/ Chick-Fil-A coupons and MARTA Breeze cards.

You laugh, but GT just signed with Adidas in the summer and through them was quite involved in the Nassir Little recruitment. Going to Adidas also was part of closing the relationship between GT and the Atlanta Celtics powerhouse AAU program (one of the strongest Adidas AAU teams nationally and who have historically not had kids go to GT). Former GT assistant and Atlanta native Chad Dollar was also on the Auburn staff in 2016, so who knows what he was tied up in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see GT caught up in this in the end, nor would I be surprised to see Wake. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see ANY major college program. That's just the way the world has worked for decades now.

I don't think NC State did anything or was involved but it wouldn't surprise me if adidas bribed DSJ or his handlers to choose an adidas school.

21768095_10154769785541604_2419522953439930339_n.jpg

Or "I fought the law and the law won"

Seems to me a private school assistant coach could take money and though unethical and against NCAA rules would not be illegal. The Public school assistants seemingly can be pounded because they are employed by the public and therefore are taking bribes.

Again, the more I think about it, the more I conclude that this is going to fundamentally change the landscape of college sports. It may not happen overnight, but I think we see tangible changes by the start of the 2018 athletic seasons.

The one and done rule is pretty difficult to argue for. It is a false ceiling on a lucrative market that really only benefits the people already making money. The NFL rule makes sense due to safety concerns, but that isn't the case with the NBA.

Disagree. There has been one player who was a big time contributor his first year out of high school and he will go down as one of the all time greats. The rest weren't that good until their second year. It's hard not to argue for a one year rule simply based on that. It benefits all sides long term.

The Bagley situation is trouble for Duke. It was very unorthodox, quiet and quick. Duke should be concerned.

I have heard for years from "insiders" (yes, annoying to even say that but anyway) that Capel is extremely sleezy and has been putting Duke at risk in terms of recruiting. As much as a I hate Ratface, I can't see him risking his legacy to go from his standard 3 top 10 recruits to 4 in a given year. So honestly I don't think Coach K would be aware of any wrongdoing even if it was going on. Just my take, and I am just not smart.

Seems to me a private school assistant coach could take money and though unethical and against NCAA rules would not be illegal. The Public school assistants seemingly can be pounded because they are employed by the public and therefore are taking bribes.

One of the arrested coaches worked for a private school (USC)

Thank goodness we had BZZZ for those years-- no worry about him cheating to get 2* recruits! :)

I don't think NC State did anything or was involved but it wouldn't surprise me if adidas bribed DSJ or his handlers to choose an adidas school.

Smith's Dad was the AAU coach for an Adidas sponsored AAU team. They didn't have to bribe anyone. They could/did/can pay him legally. He's not going to be the problem if NCSU gets caught up in this.

Smith's Dad was the AAU coach for an Adidas sponsored AAU team. They didn't have to bribe anyone. They could/did/can pay him legally. He's not going to be the problem if NCSU gets caught up in this.

Everybody is just assuming Gott is involved in a pay for play scheme because he is a scummy individual. But there are plenty of those in basketball.

Gott always did recruit better than you would think he should have (CJ Leslie??) but I attribute much of that to a school with PT to hand out and Gott being able to resonate with 18 year old men because mentally that was about where he was.

Disagree. There has been one player who was a big time contributor his first year out of high school and he will go down as one of the all time greats. The rest weren't that good until their second year. It's hard not to argue for a one year rule simply based on that. It benefits all sides long term.

Getting rid of the one year rule would allow kids that want quick money to turn pro out of high school (or even before). They could go to the G league, get sponsorships, etc. I think it would help quite a bit regarding the under-the-table shady deals. I also don't think it would affect college hoops, as the team is way more important than individuals in terms of college viewership interest. As a comparison, MLB is a multi billion dollar business, but you don't hear of shady recruiting, runners, etc. trying to get kids to go to certain colleges because they can just turn pro out of high school.

Thank goodness we had BZZZ for those years-- no worry about him cheating to get 2* recruits! :)

Don't assume that we didn't have to pay those 2*s to play for Buzz. Shit, I would have rather signed up for Campbell in Buies Creek than play for that dipshit.

Back