• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

What the hell are an ambulance chaser, a military paper pusher, a small business owner with a history of sexual discrimination in the workplace, and a 1L going to do against the FBI?

It's amazing how much hatefulness you can cram into that tiny little body.

That just seems like a stretch to me. How is that different than a faculty member helping another in his department apply for a grant in the hopes that it maintains or increases salaries of everyone in the department including himself? I know the feds don't bring charges unless they are really confident of a conviction, but this just seems really tenuous to me if you ignore the NCAA eligibility components.

Every single grant I've ever applied for has a conflict of interest clause. We are not allowed to directly profit from grants and at my institution we are not even allowed to hire family members to work on projects. Sure my continued employment is, in part, dependent on continuing to bring in grant money, but faculty researchers do not and cannot directly profit form a grant. There is not some sort of profit sharing arrangement in university budgets, whereby we get bonuses or pay increases based on land big grants with generous indirects.

Every single grant I've ever applied for has a conflict of interest clause. We are not allowed to directly profit from grants and at my institution we are not even allowed to hire family members to work on projects. Sure my continued employment is, in part, dependent on continuing to bring in grant money, but faculty researchers do not and cannot directly profit form a grant. There is not some sort of profit sharing arrangement in university budgets, whereby we get bonuses or pay increases based on land big grants with generous indirects.

it is the same as where i work. every year we need to update our conflict of interest clause.

But if nobody gets grants, then the researchers generally don't have a job, right? That would seem to be a pretty big loophole in the conflict of interest clause.

But if nobody gets grants, then the researchers generally don't have a job, right? That would seem to be a pretty big loophole in the conflict of interest clause.

depending on where you work. some places have different routes to their employment, such as teaching or research (you can also join different boards or subcommittees, etc.). one generally doesn't eliminate the other but offsets the requirements.

that is a macro view

Last edited:
As everybody jokes about how bz.delik's sad two-star recruiting may have saved us from the dirty basketball we're seeing here, I have to wonder if the ostensible "culture-change" narrative we were all force-fed was exactly this kind of thing. We don't really know why Dino was forced out and he's not talking. Perhaps hiring [name redacted] really did change our culture after all. (And, fortuitously it appears, at a time when the FBI were cracking down.)

I know for a fact that several coaches and teams at wake had huge problems that were not addressed quickly and left to fester for years. And when new hires were eventually made the process was meticulous, intentional, and careful. This m.o. has always frustrated fans, especially when we've missed on fans' first choices for purportedly acting too slowly or not offering enough or whatever. But I really believe that Wellman and company are serous about protecting our reputation even if it comes at the expense of winning immediately. And I think I'm in the minority on here in believing that's the right way to do things.

You're not in the minority. All the Wake fans I know certainly want Wake to play by the rules, and it's to Wellman's great credit that he has done his best to make sure that happens.

That doesn't mean there's not a lot of room for improvement in the way the AD does things. Being ethical does not require putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing things like hiring Jeff [Redacted].

You're not in the minority. All the Wake fans I know certainly want Wake to play by the rules, and it's to Wellman's great credit that he has done his best to make sure that happens.

That doesn't mean there's not a lot of room for improvement in the way the AD does things. Being ethical does not require putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing things like hiring Jeff [Redacted].

My biggest complaint was keeping Bzzz for the 4th year. At that point, it was obvious this was not going to work.

The granting organization doesn't give a fuck if i keep my job and their decision to grant me/my department the money is completely detached from my continued employment.

If you want to make an analogy to regular faculty and grant writing here you go: What these coaches did was akin to me arranging for Monsanto to give the the NSF reviewer's wife a gift of $100k in return for the reviewer giving my grant application a great review and me in turn making sure the results of my research conclude that Monsanto's new pesticide doesn't harm Bald Eagles.

Yes we do. It's a litany of reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam on these boards. Though I doubt Gaudio was engaging in the corruption that the FBI investigation is centered on.

Oh yeah? What are they? All I've read is a bunch of speculation by a lot of people who know very little about what actually happened.

The granting organization doesn't give a fuck if i keep my job and their decision to grant me/my department the money is completely detached from my continued employment.

If you want to make an analogy to regular faculty and grant writing here you go: What these coaches did was akin to me arranging for Monsanto to give the the NSF reviewer's wife a gift of $100k in return for the reviewer giving my grant application a great review and me in turn making sure the results of my research conclude that Monsanto's new pesticide doesn't harm Bald Eagles.

I sure hope not. Bald eagles are absolutely stunning, especially from up close.

Back