• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

[/B]

I sure hope not. Bald eagles are absolutely stunning, especially from up close.

Your boy:

bald-eagle-attacks-trump-photo-shoot-time-magazine-fb1__700.jpg

Here is the full text of the statute:

It seems to me like the exception in (c) provides a lot of wiggleroom for the defense and in some ways neutralizes the entire statute.

Seems to me that the fact that these payments were strictly prohibited by NCAA rules, the coaches' employer's policies and procedures, and probably even the employment contracts the coaches signed, takes them out "the usual course of business". Or at least the FBI would say that. Would be entertaining to see the defense bring in a parade of witnesses to testify that all this was, in fact, "the usual course of business" in NCAA recruitment. :popcorn:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4479770

Article from Andy Katz that was written in 2009. Ty Walker and Dino Gaudio are mentioned.

Dino and Ty sound like they did the right thing.

About to head home to Wilmington, N.C., after playing just 11 games in his freshman season, Wake Forest's Ty Walker was finishing up the spring semester when a message appeared on his Facebook page to add a friend.

The "friend" was an agent.

John Domantay, who is based in the Bay Area and represents struggling journeymen such as Korleone Young and Cory Hightower, was reaching out to a 19-year-old who scored a grand total of 10 points during his freshman season.

"He said that I have the potential to be in the NBA," said Walker, a 7-foot center who had hype coming out of high school but was stuck in a numbers game last season. "As soon as I got it, I gave the contact information to coach [Dino] Gaudio. [Domantay] was trying to get me caught up in a whole situation.""The system is broken," said Gaudio, who lost underclassmen Jeff Teague and James Johnson to the NBA this offseason, saying they didn't always keep him in the loop about their draft intentions and representation. "There are a group of agents who do things the right way -- contacting the coach and then contacting the parents. And then there are those that contact the kids on Facebook. Anybody that I find who goes behind my back to get my kids, I'll do everything in my power to see that they're not involved in the process."

Gaudio was so irate about the subject that he wrote to ACC commissioner John Swofford, NBA commissioner David Stern, NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter and the late Myles Brand, then president of the NCAA.

"If an agent contacts a kid directly, then there should be repercussions," Gaudio added. "Guys get in with kids and prey on the youthfulness and financial backgrounds and offer things to lock them in and set up a potential for blackmail: If I gave you this, then you owe me."

Seems to me that the fact that these payments were strictly prohibited by NCAA rules, the coaches' employer's policies and procedures, and probably even the employment contracts the coaches signed, takes them out "the usual course of business". Or at least the FBI would say that. Would be entertaining to see the defense bring in a parade of witnesses to testify that all this was, in fact, "the usual course of business" in NCAA recruitment. :popcorn:

Exactly. Once they hit the NBA, players don't seem to have a problem laughing about what they got paid in college. The defense can subpoena half the NBA to talk under oath about the "usual course of business" of getting paid at a high major program.

I wonder how many of these payments go to / are offered to the high school kid themselves rather than his family or handlers? I wouldn't be surprised if the players themselves are asked to leave the room and the coach sits down with the family and is like "this is what we can offer you if your kid comes to our school". Some of the kids might be totally oblivious -- or purposely kept ignorant of the money.

VT's numbers seem very small.

"Paying players" is a popular thought, but no one has attempted to tackle the details.

Does every D-1 football and men's basketball player get the same stipend?

Do Power V schools get to pay more?

Do FBS programs have a higher stipend than FCS schools?

Is the amount that can be paid unlimited?

Does it allow for endorsement income?

Is endorsement income capped?

Do all the players receive the same amount or does Sam Darnold get paid more than the USC 3rd string left guard?

What about walk-ons that start ahead of scholarship players?

Can NCAA teams cut players that perform poorly to avoid paying them? What about injured players? What if the injury occurred doing something other than playing football?

The talk is focused on "all the money" that football programs and basketball programs generate. What about a school that loses money on its football or basketball program (e.g., Sun Belt, Mountain West and MAC schools)?? Should a program be required to pay its players if the program losing money because the players fail to perform and attendance goes down (or TV appearances go down)?

If player decides to not play, should he required to return his stipend?

What about "non-revenue programs" at schools where the program does generate net profits for the school (e.g., UCONN women's hoop may generate more net profit than UCONN football; Iowa wrestling; Minnesota hockey; LSU baseball - LSU baseball averages 10,000+ per game for 30+ home games; that's a higher gross attendance -- 300,000+ than most Power V football teams)?

Do schools have to pay their players or get kicked out of D-1? If that's the rule, so long to the current NCAA tournament format, because at least half and probably 2/3 of the NCAA D-1 basketball programs don't make enough money to pay their players anything, while other schools (e.g., Ivy League, Patriot League, the Academies) will never pay their players.

Universities can pay athletes the equivalent of average graduate student stipend at their university. Universities can choose not to participate if they want, just like a university doesn't have to spend money on fancy facilities if they don't want to do so.

As everybody jokes about how bz.delik's sad two-star recruiting may have saved us from the dirty basketball we're seeing here, I have to wonder if the ostensible "culture-change" narrative we were all force-fed was exactly this kind of thing. We don't really know why Dino was forced out and he's not talking. Perhaps hiring [name redacted] really did change our culture after all. (And, fortuitously it appears, at a time when the FBI were cracking down.)

I know for a fact that several coaches and teams at wake had huge problems that were not addressed quickly and left to fester for years. And when new hires were eventually made the process was meticulous, intentional, and careful. This m.o. has always frustrated fans, especially when we've missed on fans' first choices for purportedly acting too slowly or not offering enough or whatever. But I really believe that Wellman and company are serous about protecting our reputation even if it comes at the expense of winning immediately. And I think I'm in the minority on here in believing that's the right way to do things.

Hate to bring up the past, but you did, so...

I'm not giving Wellman credit for any kind of prophetic vision about what's happening now. Where was the NCAA investigation, or even rumors of one, when Gaudio was fired?

I never thought Gaudio was the long-term solution and I realize there were some off-the-court issues, players leaving early, but when Bz was fired, our team was awful and the job was toxic. We ended up being really lucky with Manning and how he's developed our program. We've had 2, maybe 3 after this season, players that left early. We're going after prospects that could leave early, even one-and-done type prospects. I recall, speculation or otherwise, that this was something we were against when Gaudio was fired. Why is it acceptable now?

If there ever was a culture change that happened, I don't remember the details of it ever being articulated in words by Wellman or Bz. In application, whatever it was seemed to be more of an image change than change for NCAA compliance purposes.

There's a Houston Chronicle article from April with a Bz interview. A couple of paragraphs in it are about WF. I wasn't thrilled with what he had to say.

Get rid of the one and done rule and allow anyone to enter the NBA draft.

Get a title IX waiver to allow a stipend for revenue sports which is capped but not required.

The Power 5 teams probably all do it and life goes on.

Exactly. Once they hit the NBA, players don't seem to have a problem laughing about what they got paid in college. The defense can subpoena half the NBA to talk under oath about the "usual course of business" of getting paid at a high major program.

That wouldn't be how that language would be interpreted at all, believe me.

Hate to bring up the past, but you did, so...

I'm not giving Wellman credit for any kind of prophetic vision about what's happening now. Where was the NCAA investigation, or even rumors of one, when Gaudio was fired?

I never thought Gaudio was the long-term solution and I realize there were some off-the-court issues, players leaving early, but when Bz was fired, our team was awful and the job was toxic. We ended up being really lucky with Manning and how he's developed our program. We've had 2, maybe 3 after this season, players that left early. We're going after prospects that could leave early, even one-and-done type prospects. I recall, speculation or otherwise, that this was something we were against when Gaudio was fired. Why is it acceptable now?

If there ever was a culture change that happened, I don't remember the details of it ever being articulated in words by Wellman or Bz. In application, whatever it was seemed to be more of an image change than change for NCAA compliance purposes.

There's a Houston Chronicle article from April with a Bz interview. A couple of paragraphs in it are about WF. I wasn't thrilled with what he had to say.

I just read that article. That miserable POS is even more of an asshole that I thought.

GFY, Bzz

Back