• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

e2c0b11f5f959f0908d5dad23cbd9638.jpg

[/B]

I just read that article. That miserable POS is even more of an asshole that I thought.

GFY, Bzz
"I go to Wake Forest and I inherit six kids that were arrested for various reasons and they wanted me to rebuild that. My fourth season, we had a winning season. I beat Duke. I beat North Carolina. I beat North Carolina State. I beat Notre Dame twice. But they let me go because my first couple, three years in changing that culture, we took some losses. Now I had nine freshmen and sophomores and we won.

"My point is rebuilding in today's society, it takes time. Changing a culture doesn't happen overnight. That's been my reputation. 'Jeff's the rebuilder. Jeff's the guy who has to go in there and painstakingly change the culture.'"

Lol, fuck you, buddy.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...sistant-Jeff-[Redacted]-builds-a-11108083.php

But if nobody gets grants, then the researchers generally don't have a job, right? That would seem to be a pretty big loophole in the conflict of interest clause.
That wouldn't be a direct benefit. You can't benefit directly from the grant/contract funds. You are permitted to benefit indirectly which includes employment, patent payouts, consulting based on, etc. All of those have to be declared on the FCOI though, especially any travel awards. Employment related issues do not need to be reported.

Universities can pay athletes the equivalent of average graduate student stipend at their university. Universities can choose not to participate if they want, just like a university doesn't have to spend money on fancy facilities if they don't want to do so.

If the argument is that the kids are making millions for the school, then isn't the equivalent of a grad school stipend awfully low?

Do you think high school football players should be paid? There are coaches making over $100,000 per year, multi million dollar stadiums, and attendance of 10,000 or more per game.

Last edited:
"I go to Wake Forest and I inherit six kids that were arrested for various reasons and they wanted me to rebuild that. My fourth season, we had a winning season. I beat Duke. I beat North Carolina. I beat North Carolina State. I beat Notre Dame twice. But they let me go because my first couple, three years in changing that culture, we took some losses. Now I had nine freshmen and sophomores and we won.

"My point is rebuilding in today's society, it takes time. Changing a culture doesn't happen overnight. That's been my reputation. 'Jeff's the rebuilder. Jeff's the guy who has to go in there and painstakingly change the culture.'"

Lol, fuck you, buddy.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...sistant-Jeff-[Redacted]-builds-a-11108083.php

Why do we care what he says? He's never built anything in his life.

Lol, fuck you, buddy.

worse than Elrod

[/B]

I just read that article. That miserable POS is even more of an asshole that I thought.

GFY, Bzz

I used to work next to the Toyota Center. I would occasionally see NBA players in the food court. I always looked around for [Redacted] to give him a "fuck you, buddy" but it never happened.

Lol, fuck you, buddy.

Culture, culture, culture:

"When you talk about championship cultures, teammates don't just play with each other, they play for each other. They refuse to let each other down.

That's the culture we're trying to create defensively.

Creating culture does not happen quickly or easily." :cool:

I hate how he keeps failing into success. He's done nothing but fail or capitalize on the success of predecessors yet he keeps getting good jobs over more talented coaches. How many thousand good coaches would kill to be an assistant on this Rockets team?

Reactions: ITK
Will these kids & their parents be arrested for income tax evasion? Some took over $100,000. Even if it was "only" $15-20,000 it is still evading taxes, just like people who run corn liquor.

Interesting point. Steve Woodberry, Wake Asst.Coach, spoke at Raleigh Sports Club yesterday.

He said when Danny's staff came to Wake they had to inject a completely new culture. Players weren't going to class and only lifted weights when they wanted to.
Also, said Wake was totally clean on the Louisville scandal.
On a different note, he was complimentary on Ole' Roy at UNC-CH (he played for him at Kansas). So, I understood on that.

Will these kids & their parents be arrested for income tax evasion? Some took over $100,000. Even if it was "only" $15-20,000 it is still evading taxes, just like people who run corn liquor.

No, the parents will account for these payments on their tax returns now that the government is aware of them.

Lol, fuck you, buddy.

fuck him. also the hyperlink changes to [name redacted] and doesn't work.

This should do the trick

https://tinyurl.com/ybfub8hj

No, the parents will account for these payments on their tax returns now that the government is aware of them.

Yes, they will have to now. But this investigation has gone back 3 years supposedly. I guess they will have to file some amendments to their returns & find some of that spare cash they might have left over.

Interesting point. Steve Woodberry, Wake Asst.Coach, spoke at Raleigh Sports Club yesterday.

He said when Danny's staff came to Wake they had to inject a completely new culture. Players weren't going to class and only lifted weights when they wanted to.
On a different note, he was complimentary on Ole' Roy at UNC-CH (he played for him at Kansas). So, I understood on that.

RC was a common denominator between the 2 staffs. I wonder why he wasn't getting them to go to class or lift when on the prior staff?

Who wasn't going to class? Didn't all of the players who stayed for 4 years graduate?

RC was a common denominator between the 2 staffs. I wonder why he wasn't getting them to go to class or lift when on the prior staff?
Good question - his comment about them not attending class surprised those sitting at my table. Wonder if there are two side to that situation tale. Guess I would believe Woodberry.

Back