• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I have a feeling these charges are going to get tossed eventually. Just somebody trying to make a splash in the FBI. Probably Comey's nephew or something.

Why wouldn't the baseball model - allow them to turn pro out of HS and have farm system - work? I'm sure it won't, but I have to think that through. So maybe you guys can help. Is it because of the relatively small number of ball players that would ever get drafted vs missing college? Thoughts?

Why wouldn't the baseball model - allow them to turn pro out of HS and have farm system - work? I'm sure it won't, but I have to think that through. So maybe you guys can help. Is it because of the relatively small number of ball players that would ever get drafted vs missing college? Thoughts?

Because the NBA doesn't have a ton of interest in financially supporting a farm system when it can have college bball do it.

I'm always confused when people suggest the baseball model. Do you believe that basketball wouldn't become more like baseball or do you think that wouldn't be a bad thing?

Well PH the quick answer to your question is that I don't see the same problems in baseball that college basketball is having/creating. College baseball seems to be clean. At least it seems to be. It's just not stocked full of incredible players.

But baseball has FAR more slots open for players. And 40 rounds of draft vs 2 for NBA. So a farm system would be a dead end for a much higher percentage I would think.

There are two main reasons. First, there is only one level of semi-farm system for the NBA. Next, it really does take several years for a HS guy to have any chance to make the majors. There aren't many 20 yo rookies who aren't from Latin American in the majors. Baseball is much harder to learn than bball.

One issue is that switching to a baseball format would be a baby with the bathwater situation.

How about a NHL setup where players can declare for the draft and be drafted but then either go to the NBA the G League or remain in/go to college? Teams retain a player's rights for a certain time period.

I'm always confused when people suggest the baseball model. Do you believe that basketball wouldn't become more like baseball or do you think that wouldn't be a bad thing?

Basketball talent pool wouldn't be nearly as diluted because there is no place to put that many pros. Plus college basketball is a pretty awesome experience, and can be very profitable if you make a run in the tournament and build your name recognition.

How about a NHL setup where players can declare for the draft and be drafted but then either go to the NBA the G League or remain in/go to college? Teams retain a player's rights for a certain time period.

That would make things really crazy. Check out the thread I posted about this.

Basketball talent pool wouldn't be nearly as diluted because there is no place to put that many pros. Plus college basketball is a pretty awesome experience, and can be very profitable if you make a run in the tournament and build your name recognition.

No place?

University of South Carolina said that it received notice it wasn't involved except that it employed the one guy involved. So either he did stuff at OK State or he went renegade completely on his own. Or they're misrepresenting the truth to try to CYA.

Wasn't it the real USC that had a problem? Their assistant coach was to be arrested.

Not sure if serious

Not about the comey nephew thing, but about the rest of it. Bribery? Gimme a break. College coaches get paid to pitch products. This is no different except that it's a violation of NCAA rules. NCAA rules are not federal law. On top of that, they can only go after you if you're employed as a public university employee, not private, which seems fundamentally unfair to me. Dollars to donuts the dude on the case is a big college hoops fan, kinda like the Novitski guy in the Balco case was a huge baseball homer.

There are two main reasons. First, there is only one level of semi-farm system for the NBA. Next, it really does take several years for a HS guy to have any chance to make the majors. There aren't many 20 yo rookies who aren't from Latin American in the majors. Baseball is much harder to learn than bball.

I don't see a reason to NOT use this model with bball. I just see reasons FOR it for baseball. But maybe it went over my head.

One issue is that switching to a baseball format would be a baby with the bathwater situation.

Why? Pitino et all threw the baby out already, and others will fall in behind him for years and years if the massive opening for a black market isn't taken away.

Back