• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

They issue fluff punishments that don't deter shit, and clearly don't come close to actually hamstringing their cash cows. This will be absolutely no different. I can see the statement now after 4 no-names get locked up with token sentences: "We let the judicial process led by the FBI run its course, those found to be wrongdoers have been appropriately punished under the criminal justice system, and we hope our member institutions have learned from this situation. We find no need or basis to punish any member institution beyond the punishment levied by the criminal justice system, as this is their primary jurisdiction and we defer to their expertise and leadership in this area."

If I'm Louisville I'm reinstating Pitino today. WTF is the NCAA going to do about it? Not a goddamn thing.

The scandal is starting to take a toll on Southern Cal's recruiting class.

wasn"t duncan sick that season too? acc tourney?

Duncan was sick in 96. IIRC he didn't play in the 1st game and was able to drag himself on to the court for part of the Texas game in the 2nd round. Then the great game where he beat Louisville, before the KY game.

95 more painful as we should have gotten to the final 4 at a minimum. 05 was painful but not shocking as our defense was going to cost us a some point.

Duncan was sick in 96. IIRC he didn't play in the 1st game and was able to drag himself on to the court for part of the Texas game in the 2nd round. Then the great game where he beat Louisville, before the KY game.

95 more painful as we should have gotten to the final 4 at a minimum. 05 was painful but not shocking as our defense was going to cost us a some point.

Although he did not appear to be himself in the first two games, Tim played 24 minutes against ULM, 38 against Texas, 40 against Louisville, and 39 against Kentucky. Game log.

05 was kind of like 97 we had a very good record but you knew the team was flawed and were just waiting for the other shoe to drop

10 more arrests this week. Heard it here first.

The worst seeding was 1994... we were a 5 seed, but the top four were Purdue, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas. All four had been ranked #1 during the course of the season. Kansas was an early favorite but injuries knocked them down in the polls. But everyone was at full strength by tourney time..

And unfortch, the usually quite reliable Tree Owens decided to lay a big fat goose egg from the field going 0-8 vs Kansas. A tough, but winnable game with a Herculean effort. But without Tree hitting, and a still somewhat limited Tim Duncan offensively, we weren't quite there yet.

I still get night sweats thinking about '95 vs Okie St. Won't ever be able to forget the feeling of loss that day. Couldn't move in my seat for like 45 mins after time expired. Oooofff

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ke-anything-college-basketball-has-ever-seen/

"In normal times, it's a list of coaches on the verge of missing the NCAA Tournament in too many consecutive years. A list of coaches who haven't recruited so well. A list of coaches whose arenas aren't filled. A list of coaches whose fans are fed up. But these are not normal times... This FBI investigation has flipped the hot-seat game completely. In normal times, somebody like Arizona's Sean Miller would never appear in a column like this because he's won three of the past four Pac-12 titles, been in five of the past seven Elite Eights and recruited so well his team could reasonably be ranked No. 1 this preseason. But these are not normal times."

"And Oklahoma State has been served a subpoena that covers a timeframe of three different coaches -- namely Travis Ford, who is now at Saint Louis, Brad Underwood, who is now at Illinois, and current OSU coach Mike Boynton. Are any of them on the hot seat? Are they all on the hot seat?"

"Serious question: Who isn't on the hot seat right now? Honest answer: Only squeaky-clean coaches, probably. Which means the profession has never been more backwards. Big-time winners, possible Hall of Famers, have futures that are very much in doubt while traditional hot-seat candidates might be safe even after another subpar season because being an NCAA-compliant coach has never been more valued than it is during this time when 10 men connected to the sport are facing federal prison."

Larranaga confirms that he is Coach-3 in the FBI investigation...

link

‘Coach-3,’ in the FBI report, was said to know about an Adidas executive and others conspiring to funnel some $150,000 to a 2018 recruit, later learned to be Nassir Little. Little and his father signed statements, provided to The Post, saying they and Miami did nothing wrong.

Little committed to UNC, btw.

I cannot believe I didn't know about this. Surely the FBI has their nose deep in UNC's business, right?

Not saying that UNC is clean, but Little committed to them after the DOJ report came out. Little had his bags packed for Tucson before this scandal hit.

According to the article linked below, the allegation is that Arizona offered to pay Little $150K, and Miami (Larranaga) contacted Adidas to meet or exceed that offer to get Little to commit to the Canes. Arizona is a Nike School. Not sure if that means Nike paid or planned to pay Little $150K or if the money was coming from some other source linked to the Arizona program. If it is Nike money, UNC is a Nike school too. Even so, I'm sure that UNC will be completely exonerated.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/pascoe/feds-adidas-rep-said-arizona-wildcats-offered-top-recruit/article_a2ffdb62-a419-11e7-9223-03832afa359e.html

"Serious question: Who isn't on the hot seat right now? Honest answer: Only squeaky-clean coaches, probably. Which means the profession has never been more backwards. Big-time winners, possible Hall of Famers, have futures that are very much in doubt while traditional hot-seat candidates might be safe even after another subpar season because being an NCAA-compliant coach has never been more valued than it is during this time when 10 men connected to the sport are facing federal prison."

Thank God, this is not year three of [Redacted] right now because Wellman would have a whole new excuse to keep him around even longer.

so two schools offered the kid money, and he ended up in UNC. man, that really doesn't look good.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, but it seems like there should be a ton of heat on Sean Miller right now. Not only did one of his assistants get arrested, but UA's involvement with Nassir Little sounds like stone cold cheating. The same that brought down Pitino (sans the previous hooker and blackmail scandals). If the next phase of this scandal involves Nike improprieties, you would think Miller could be in big trouble.

Back