Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1288

Thread: College basketball bribery scandal

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Boy View Post
    Well, technically wasn't it Adidas that paid the $100K? UL paid nothing because they got their shoe company to pay.
    It's a conspiracy charge. UL agreed to facilitate and play ball, and they got the player.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    How do we kick UL out of the ACC?
    My thoughts exactly. I know money is all that matters, but money aside there are so many more desirable candidates.

  3. #43
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,897
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    They're going with the "we didn't know" defense.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...ing/703414001/

    "We have no idea about any of this stuff," said Kenny Klein, a spokesman for the University of Louisville athletic department. "This is the first I've heard of it. Nobody in basketball is aware of any of this."

  4. #44
    Maybe this will blow over like every other NCAA scandal, but this one seems different. The US Attorney is involved; long prison sentences will be imposed. The NCAA won't be doling out meaningless penalties, but a Judge will that doesn't GAF about college sports or the impact on "big-money" athletic programs. Coaches and schools close ranks and limit the information that is disclosed when the NCAA is investigating, but when serious jail time is in the balance, people crack; bad assess turn on their colleagues. Two years from now, this could be the scandal that fundamentally changes NCAA sports.

  5. #45
    Miami is involved too.

  6. #46
    Apparently they have the LVille coaches on video saying they need to keep it low key because they are already on probation. But no, nobody knew anything. Pitino will retire in a few years before any punishment happens and blame it all on someone else.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Maybe this will blow over like every other NCAA scandal, but this one seems different. The US Attorney is involved; long prison sentences will be imposed. The NCAA won't be doling out meaningless penalties, but a Judge will that doesn't GAF about college sports or the impact on "big-money" athletic programs. Coaches and schools close ranks and limit the information that is disclosed when the NCAA is investigating, but when serious jail time is in the balance, people crack; bad assess turn on their colleagues. Two years from now, this could be the scandal that fundamentally changes NCAA sports.
    Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.

  8. #48
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,736
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.
    Yep.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.
    Fair point. We shall see.

  10. #50
    This guy in Twitter is tweeting a ton of stuff on Louisville. Has a ton of quotes. If true, Louisville is screwed.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.
    True, but that situation wasn't helped by the idiocy of the NCAA and the fact that Shapiro was unhinged, right? This just seems way different. So many schools and so much more at stake than just the craziness that was the mid 2000s Miami teams.

    I agree with Pilchard. I think this fundamentally changes the landscape of the NCAA and I don't think it takes two years. The fallout from this can/should be unprecedented.

  12. #52

  13. #53
    This is going to be one of those tip of the iceberg stories. Threat of prison is going to make the whole choir sing. Would not be surprised at all if the whole shoe money cash cow comes crashing down in a hundred different ways.

  14. #54
    Pitino will resign before the season. Heard it here first.

    Edit: I think he resigns before the week is over.
    Last edited by DG3; 09-26-2017 at 11:56 AM.

  15. #55
    Who would you guys replace Louisville with? There aren't a bunch of amazing candidates out there.

  16. #56
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    What are the years under this investigation?

  17. #57
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardwfu View Post
    This guy in Twitter is tweeting a ton of stuff on Louisville. Has a ton of quotes. If true, Louisville is screwed.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB
    "It is important to note that many of the allegations against defendants/U of L are either on wire tap, video or from undercover FBI."



  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    What are the years under this investigation?
    2015 to current if I'm understanding correctly.

  19. #59
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,736
    Quote Originally Posted by DG3 View Post
    Pitino will resign before the season. Heard it here first.

    Edit: I think he resigns before the week is over.
    I don't know man. Pitino has survived a lot.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I don't know man. Pitino has survived a lot.
    Yeah, the guy is like the Trump of college sports. He's made of kevlar. But... there's just no way out of this, right? There can't be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •