• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Well, technically wasn't it Adidas that paid the $100K? UL paid nothing because they got their shoe company to pay.

It's a conspiracy charge. UL agreed to facilitate and play ball, and they got the player.

Maybe this will blow over like every other NCAA scandal, but this one seems different. The US Attorney is involved; long prison sentences will be imposed. The NCAA won't be doling out meaningless penalties, but a Judge will that doesn't GAF about college sports or the impact on "big-money" athletic programs. Coaches and schools close ranks and limit the information that is disclosed when the NCAA is investigating, but when serious jail time is in the balance, people crack; bad assess turn on their colleagues. Two years from now, this could be the scandal that fundamentally changes NCAA sports.

Apparently they have the LVille coaches on video saying they need to keep it low key because they are already on probation. But no, nobody knew anything. Pitino will retire in a few years before any punishment happens and blame it all on someone else.

Maybe this will blow over like every other NCAA scandal, but this one seems different. The US Attorney is involved; long prison sentences will be imposed. The NCAA won't be doling out meaningless penalties, but a Judge will that doesn't GAF about college sports or the impact on "big-money" athletic programs. Coaches and schools close ranks and limit the information that is disclosed when the NCAA is investigating, but when serious jail time is in the balance, people crack; bad assess turn on their colleagues. Two years from now, this could be the scandal that fundamentally changes NCAA sports.

Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.

Everyone said that about Shapiro / Miami and not a damn thing changed.

True, but that situation wasn't helped by the idiocy of the NCAA and the fact that Shapiro was unhinged, right? This just seems way different. So many schools and so much more at stake than just the craziness that was the mid 2000s Miami teams.

I agree with Pilchard. I think this fundamentally changes the landscape of the NCAA and I don't think it takes two years. The fallout from this can/should be unprecedented.

This is going to be one of those tip of the iceberg stories. Threat of prison is going to make the whole choir sing. Would not be surprised at all if the whole shoe money cash cow comes crashing down in a hundred different ways.

Pitino will resign before the season. Heard it here first.

Edit: I think he resigns before the week is over.

Last edited:
Who would you guys replace Louisville with? There aren't a bunch of amazing candidates out there.

Pitino will resign before the season. Heard it here first.

Edit: I think he resigns before the week is over.

I don't know man. Pitino has survived a lot.

I don't know man. Pitino has survived a lot.

Yeah, the guy is like the Trump of college sports. He's made of kevlar. But... there's just no way out of this, right? There can't be.

Back