• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

All of this. To clean up the NCAA, particularly in basketball, would mean to investigate and sanction/fire every single meaningful men's college and assistant coach, AAU coaches, agents, AD's and anyone else involved in the recruiting process.

It is beyond repair. So you either maintain the corrupt status quo, or you destroy the entire the thing. There is nobody who is clean and successful.

So why not just admit this and create an above board payment structure? Players are getting paid. The Pollyanna attitude about the purity of amateurism should be shattered by now. There are new/additional revenue streams available as we're seeing in this scandal. The question becomes whether to pay players above or below the table.

Yep. People want to pay players. So just figure out a way to do it. Do show companies really want to make these deals with universities and coaches? Maybe a little bit. But that’s mostly because they can’t just pay the players.

Yep. People want to pay players. So just figure out a way to do it. Do show companies really want to make these deals with universities and coaches? Maybe a little bit. But that’s mostly because they can’t just pay the players.

In my opinion, the answer is obvious. Just let the players go pro out of high school. That way, those that want/need to get paid have an option, and those that want to be student athletes can go that route.

In my opinion, the answer is obvious. Just let the players go pro out of high school. That way, those that want/need to get paid have an option, and those that want to be student athletes can go that route.

So your argument is that players didn’t get paid before one and done?

There are D-3 players that receive extra benefits. It would never completely stop regardless of how the system is changed.

That said, requiring everyone to go to college before the NBA has created a bidding frenzy among shoe companies to steer top players to "their" universities. Shoe companies do this because they want the next MJ, Lebron etc.; those elite targets would go straight to the NBA. There isn't going to the same drive for shoe companies to pay the next Malcolm Brogdon or Frank Kaminsky. Allowing HSers to head to the NBA will happen as part of the next CBA. Doubt the NBA will adopt the baseball rule requiring a HS kid to choose between signing a pro contract or 3 years of college, but HSers will have the option to go directly to draft, and that change will lessen the shoe companies interest in HS recruiting.

I really don’t think there’s a way to totally fix it or a way that’s better than the current system. I really don’t. Just make the penalties to coaches and programs very severe and police the heck out of it. I can poke much larger holes very quickly in every alternative to what we have now.

So you wouldn’t prefer Dino having stayed and cheated* over our self-selected probation the last 8 years?

* There is no evidence that Dino was or would have cheated.

If it resulted in the same success that say, Kansas, Arizona, or Louisville have had? Frankly, yes. We could have celebrated many victories, now just claim "everybody does it", and probably face a minor punishment as a first time offender.

If it resulted in the same success that say, Kansas, Arizona, or Louisville have had? Frankly, yes. We could have celebrated many victories, now just claim "everybody does it", and probably face a minor punishment as a first time offender.

I get the sentiment, but I do actually think Wake is better than that. I’ll settle for the program getting to a point where not cheating is a viable excuse for not achieving at a higher level.

I tend to agree with this, but wouldn't it seriously complicate recruiting?

I really don’t think there’s a way to totally fix it or a way that’s better than the current system. I really don’t. Just make the penalties to coaches and programs very severe and police the heck out of it. I can poke much larger holes very quickly in every alternative to what we have now.

I find this hard to believe. It would be difficult to design a worse system if you tried. I’m pessimistic that the NCAA will ever take meaningful steps to fix the system but can think of several ways to make the system better.

Oh I definitely would rather us cheat like the rest of them, win games, and compete for natty's. You think Louisville fans sit back and go "Geeeee if only we hadn't cheated, I would have had so much more fun watching our team get bounced in the round of 32 than win a natty the wrong way".

Hell Carolina cheated for 20 years and nothing even happened. The NCAA is a corrupt unethical institution that exploits young poor and mostly minority athleats. Fuck them, no glory in playing by their rules. Burn. It. Down.

I tend to agree with this, but wouldn't it seriously complicate recruiting?

As long as the draft entry deadline is the same then not that much.

At some point, though, unless the NCAA gets its act together, the NBA is going to figure out a way to circumvent the NCAA (though not necessarily college basketball) as its main source of talent.

As long as the draft entry deadline is the same then not that much.

At some point, though, unless the NCAA gets its act together, the NBA is going to figure out a way to circumvent the NCAA (though not necessarily college basketball) as its main source of talent.

Why would they do that? Why would they need to do that?

There is no market for minor league basketball.

Right. Why would the NBA ruin a free developmental system in which players get plenty of hype and exposure before coming into the league?

Back