• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

It’s possible to design a system that pays players a fair market rate (meaning Zion will make more than Mike Wynn), provides an education tailored to each individual (Zion would benefit from a program designed for future millionaire NBA players vs. your standard freshman divisionals), and still capitalizes on all of the fans who watch college basketball not for the quality but because they identify with a particular school.

If the NCAA won’t do it, hopefully someone else will.

It make be possible. I don't see the majority of schools becoming involved in that. Wake surely would not.

You would get Louisville, a bunch of SEC schools, and a handful of others. Would the money still be there? Would the TV rights be as sought after?

I doubt it.

Seems kind of crazy to blow up a system that benefits tens of thousands of people to benefit just the few elite players.

It’s possible to design a system that pays players a fair market rate (meaning Zion will make more than Mike Wynn), provides an education tailored to each individual (Zion would benefit from a program designed for future millionaire NBA players vs. your standard freshman divisionals), and still capitalizes on all of the fans who watch college basketball not for the quality but because they identify with a particular school.

If the NCAA won’t do it, hopefully someone else will.

That sounds like a total nightmare, have to say.

How our people didn't figure out a way to create a higher payment to athletes is crazy. How a podunk, garbage, state school like L'ville can pay their athletes nearly 2/3 more than we do shows a massive level incompetence.

That's the first I've seen those figures. I'm shocked by the differences between schools, and can't seem to draw a good reason why there are such stark differences. Plus, places with assumed higher cost-of-living (i.e. Boston) are towards the bottom of the list.

Boston College: $1,250, plus a travel allowance based on hometown, divided into once-a-semester payments.

Clemson: $3,906 in 10 installments.

Duke: Amounts range from $2,800 to $3,500 and are calculated individually, with the most significant difference being a travel component based distance from campus. Once-a-semester disbursements.

Florida State: $4,500 for in-state residents, $6,000 out-of-state. The school has yet to determine the frequency of disbursements.

Georgia Tech: $2,000 divided into once-a-semester payments.

Louisville: $5,364 with multiple disbursements each semester.

Miami: The athletic department declined to reveal its allowance. Miami’s website estimates a 2015-16 undergraduate’s personal expenses at $2,100, plus average travel costs of $680. The NCAA legislation does not obligate schools to provide athletes the full cost of attendance but prohibits schools from exceeding that amount.

North Carolina: “Every student’s number is different based on a variety of factors,” spokesman Steve Kirschner said, “financial need, health insurance, in-state vs. out-of-state and whether they live on-campus or if they are off-campus) We are still determining our numbers and are not definite when we will have them finalized.” The university’s website estimates $1,448 in personal expenses for each undergraduate, plus $862 in travel for in-state residents, $1,820 for out-of-state.

North Carolina State: $2,706, split into once-a-semester payments.

Notre Dame: The average is $1,950, with amounts varying based on family residence. Once-a-semester disbursements.

Pittsburgh: $3,296 for undergraduates, $5,922 for graduates, divided into twice-a-semester payments.

Syracuse: The athletic department did not share its allowance. The university’s website estimates annual personal expenses of $990, plus $642 for transportation.

Virginia: $3,180 for in-state undergraduates, $3,600-$4,600 for out-of-state undergraduates, depending on distance from campus. Graduate student-athletes receive approximately $3,000 more. Monthly disbursements.

Virginia Tech: $3,280 in-state, $3,620 out-of-state. Paid twice a semester for on-campus students, three times a semester for off-campus.

Wake Forest: $3,062 divided into monthly payments.

good luck implementing a system that pays salaries to 100 male college athletes (football + men's basketball) and zero female college athletes

good luck implementing a system that pays salaries to 100 male college athletes (football + men's basketball) and zero female college athletes

At Lousiville, the female athletes could get PT gigs being "hostesses" for recruits and signed athletes. Pitino would have approved of that.

Good luck implementing a system that redistributes money from rich white guys to predominantly black male college athletes and not disproportionately white athletes in other sports.

It make be possible. I don't see the majority of schools becoming involved in that. Wake surely would not.

You would get Louisville, a bunch of SEC schools, and a handful of others. Would the money still be there? Would the TV rights be as sought after?

I doubt it.

Seems kind of crazy to blow up a system that benefits tens of thousands of people to benefit just the few elite players.

Why not?

I did. I am certain that I generated absolutely no revenue for my school though.

College basketball and football are a business. College field hockey isn’t. This isn’t that complicated.

That's far from the point. Companies lose money all the time. Did you consider yourself an employee? Did you consider it a job?

And stating this isn't complicated? C'mon. Pilch did a great job in shooting holes through that line of thinking.

No doubt it is hard, and it can limit academic, social, and other opportunities. No doubt at all. But being in plays as a theater major can do the same thing, as can being in the pep band, orchestra, etc. Organizing a major biomedical research project as a student can also be extremely challenging. Those all require practice and/or significant time commitments, but I do not consider them jobs.

Some schools do, in fact, pay students to be in the marching band. My son marched for two years at UGA. While not nearly as demanding as football from a practice perspective, it is a commitment. A payment of $1000 would be made into my son’s student account in December following the season. It would show as an “over payment”. He could then go pick up his check.

Other than the obvious difference in the size of the student bodies, that’s why Clemson’s pep band was bigger than our marching band. Clemson probably has 400+ horns on the field when they play at home. We have 60. How many kids at a place like Wake Forest do you think played an instrument in high school? How much bigger do you think our band be if we paid kids the way my son got paid at UGA?

so many caveats and mental gymnastics at play here. the only real way to move forward with any integrity is to separate athletics from academics.

too much embedded culturally and financially for that to happen, but until then, it's going to be a highly flawed system with unjust winners and losers.

Not really. If female athletes attending a college and playing for a team associated with that college can find someone willing to pay them to play they should have that right. So should male athletes.

If by "someone", you mean boosters, that system is already in place. $100 handshakes and free shoes university opportunities are alive and as strong as ever (in addition to sweet part-time employment gigs).

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/leagu...s-alternative-college-route/story?id=58587356

In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

As part of a newly formed "professional path" starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft. It will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," Turner said.

Duke, UK, Kansas, Arizona and L'ville won't have any problem outbidding $125K for the best prospects.

Not really. If female athletes attending a college and playing for a team associated with that college can find someone willing to pay them to play they should have that right. So should male athletes.

as long as the NCAA governs both, it won't happen, and I don't see the path to men's basketball breaking away from the NCAA that you do

Duke, UK, Kansas, Arizona and L'ville won't have any problem outbidding $125K for the best prospects.

The benefit is moreso around the endorsment deals. Since they'll be able to sign endorsment deals right out of high school, the top players could easily be looking at a multi-million dollar difference between going to college for a season or going to the G-League.

Back