• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Wait, Ph and 107 are now contending that the current college system is more advantageous to elite basketball players than a system where the elite player gets a six figure salary and the unfettered ability to sign endorsement deals, sell his likeness and use whatever other means are available to get paid off his ability?

I thought that your contention was how unfairly exploitative the current college system is?

It's almost as if a very small number of players exploit the system and the vast majority of players are exploited.

Wait, Ph and 107 are now contending that the current college system is more advantageous to elite basketball players than a system where the elite player gets a six figure salary and the unfettered ability to sign endorsement deals, sell his likeness and use whatever other means are available to get paid off his ability?

I thought that your contention was how unfairly exploitative the current college system is?

I’m not contending that. I’m contending that college basketball generates a ton of money for two main reasons:

1. The quality of the basketball, specifically the quality of the elite players.

2. The brand of the university.

If you separate those two the total pie gets much smaller. I’m probably not turning on the TV for the Greensboro Swarm or for a Wake team full of Joe Dukes and Ty Walkers. The players are getting such a small piece of the pie that abandoning the college system is worth it. From the university standpoint, it’s probably worth giving some of the current pie away to keep the talent in the system. In fact, the top 100 schools or so could come out ahead by taking the pieces currently going to the NCAA and non-revenue generating basketball schools.

My big take from all of this is the NCAA is a bunch of pussies and cheating can only benefit a basketball program. Massive abuses of NCAA rules and regulations and no real punishment for any schools involved. Coaches caught on tape talking about exchanging money/housing/jobs for players, and nothing happens. NCAA is a joke, even more of a joke than our basketball program has become over the last 8 years. Close the sham organization down, they don't add shit to college athletics. Two big revenue sports make all the money and the top programs in both sports are dirty as shit. Waste of an organization.

The HS kid lost his chance. The college player didn't.

From the NBA perspective, GMs are likely to overrate the potential of the HS kid.

In the preps-to-pros era did GMs on the whole really overrate high school talent?

In general, most of those players had long careers with above average production and tenure relative to draft position. Practicing with teams for one’s whole career beats a year unlearning skills while making millions for Duke or Kentucky.

The issue with preps-to-pros was that your organization had to invest a ton of time and resources because these kids were teenagers. It was always a money issue. Teams would rather invest in prospects who have a year of socialization under their belt. Outsourcing that painful transition in terms of life skills and discipline to a college program just makes financial sense from the perspective of NBA front offices.

K's program has been dirty for a long time but with a weak NCAA it is no surprise that he is his usual condescending self. Would love to see the Federal Government take him down and tarnish the legacy although I don't have a lot of faith in them either.

Back