• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I think that I would be ok with the players losing their eligibility/scholarships and/or having charges pressed against them if they did not report the income/gifts on their tax returns.

Just let them earn income from sponsorships and profit off their likeness, ala the Olympics.

Then the income is above board and schools get to pretend to be "amateur" still. It's not really all that hard.

I hope that Wake isn't anywhere near any of this....I feel like Manning and company are above board, but nothing surprises me any more in college athletics. 10 years ago I was getting requests from the coaches of low major prospects. If they were asking for those level of players, there is really no telling what the big boys were shelling out.

Louisville is currently on probation which will make a big difference.

I disagree (unsurprisingly) that this will blow over in a few weeks. This isn't the NCAA playing tiddlywinks, this is a federal investigation with 10 different individuals charged already (with apparently more to come based on the USAO presser today).

Louisville is currently on probation which will make a big difference.

I disagree (unsurprisingly) that this will blow over in a few weeks. This isn't the NCAA playing tiddlywinks, this is a federal investigation with 10 different individuals charged already (with apparently more to come based on the USAO presser today).

Oh if someone goes to jail then sure that is punishment for that poor bastard. But Pitino isn't going to jail, Louisville isn't going to jail, and the NCAA is impotent.

I highly doubt they get the death penalty, but no, this won't "blow over."

Purely from an NCAA standpoint:

Pitino and Jurich will likely be fired. Louisville will get postseason bans/lose some scholarships, and be super bad at basketball for a few years.

Unsure of how the legal proceedings will go.

That's absurd. Penn State didn't get the death penalty, and this is a pimple on Paterno's ass. UNC has skated penalty-free. This will blow over in a few weeks, LVille may lose a schlarship or two.

Lol - what? This is completely different than PSU or UNC. As despicable as Sandusky and Paterno were, it didn't have any effect on the actual competition, or involve bribing players with hundreds of thousands of dollars. And the program still got hit hard (maybe not hard enough).

UNC hasn't involved anything against the law, and completely revolves around academics, or lack there-of. They'll still get punished, although basketball won't get it near as bad as we all would like.

If these allegations (and more coming) are true, some serious sentences, including jail time, are going to be handed out. The death penalty could certainly be imposed on a program by the FBI/attorney general, if the NCAA continues to be impotent.

I can't imagine Louisville or Paytino surviving this.

The Ville boards are surprisingly reasoned. They know that they're fucked and the consensus seems to be Pitino out very soon. I'm actually shocked.

Also, MDMH, if you're reading this, enjoy it. I can't imagine that other than your wedding day and the impending birth of your child that there could be a much sweeter feeling as a UK fan.

The Ville boards are surprisingly reasoned. They know that they're fucked and the consensus seems to be Pitino out very soon. I'm actually shocked.

Also shocked. After PennStateGuy, I thought nothing was indefensible.

Also, MDMH, if you're reading this, enjoy it. I can't imagine that other than your wedding day and the impending birth of your child that there could be a much sweeter feeling as a UK fan.

Cal might be clear of this incident, but there's no way he's clean.

Tried to post an image of that Karen Sypher hoe laughing..Would have been epic but I haven't been able to post images for a while..

Last edited:
Hard to top the previous post by Ralph Medlin (hex code on my tablet and lots of it)
But should the ACC invite Penn St or SMU to replace Louisville?

Back