• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Remember when we were told to be excited that Manning had learned how to coach under Self? So, Wellman hired an asshole who treated the Wake community as his own personal latrine and then followed it up by hiring a guy, who if he weren't completely uninterested in putting in the work required to be a great coach, probably would have been involved in all sorts of cheating at Kansas...and he justified it by dragging Dino (the only man willing to stand up to Wellman) through the dirt in order to get the support of the blue haired culture crew (and a few fuddy big $$ donors). Thanks Wellman. You suck.

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty meaningful penalty when you get into the details. Wonder how they can justify keeping Pastner around? Also wonder who else would take that job w/ the recruiting handcuffs.

The financial hit didn't sound bad, until you realize that the innocuous-sounding 2% of budget could be serious money.

Just called some GT-alum clients of mine to get their takes...

Pastner probably can't survive this.
Infuriating to get a penalty like this when most of the stuff was self-reported, yet the Adidas scandal drags on with no penalties.
Wondering how Duke doesn't get investigated when there were pretty clearly issues w/ Zion recruitment.
Again wondering how UNC managed to avoid any penalties with its AFAM issues.

The sad thing, from my perspective, is we run what I assume is a clean program... Yet we arguably suck worse than the shitshow that is GT hoops.

That's actually a pretty meaningful penalty when you get into the details. Wonder how they can justify keeping Pastner around? Also wonder who else would take that job w/ the recruiting handcuffs.

Yeah, not a good look. Assistant coach paid NOT for food or for a flight to visit a sick Mom or Grandmother, but $300 to stuff down g-strings at a strip club. Nice.

They’ve spent a lot of money buying out Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory and Paul Johnson in recent years.

The post-season ban is kind of funny for GT: bet the CIT and the CBI are bummed.

Save 2017, WF has been in a coach-imposed post-season ban mode since 2010.

The post-season ban includes the ACC tourney as well.

And I forgot that GT also paid the $2.5 M buyout to get Geoff Collins from Temple to replace Johnson.

In a lot of ways, Manning has a ton more incentive to run recruiting by the book than any other coach in the country.

He knows he's here only because of Wellman's multi-year gift of a contract and the only way he can screw himself out of millions if not 10+ million is a recruiting or personal conduct violation. That's it. He can buy Jeffrey Epstein's island from his estate if he can do those two things. Basically, all he has to do is wake up, blow his a whistle a few times, and go back to bed.

The post-season ban includes the ACC tourney as well.

And I forgot that GT also paid the $2.5 M buyout to get Geoff Collins from Temple to replace Johnson.

With no GT in the ACC tourney, that's one less potential crappy opponent for WF in the play-in round.

So what I'm hearing is that we just need 4 other teams to get banished from postseason play this year for us to get to Wednesday in the ACC Tourney?

Sounds encouraging.

So what I'm hearing is that we just need 4 other teams to get banished from postseason play this year for us to get to Wednesday in the ACC Tourney?

Sounds encouraging.

only two more, because math, so yeah, almost to Wednesday

Back