• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

But Cheating Hill cheating for eighteen years on at least five sports gets no punishment.

Yep, the NCAA is fair.

Didn't they pile on Sylvia Hatchell and force her out as 'penance' for all their misgiving? That evil Coach Hatchell! She should be punished severely for what she did to the men's basketball program!

Didn't they pile on Sylvia Hatchell and force her out as 'penance' for all their misgiving? That evil Coach Hatchell! She should be punished severely for what she did to the men's basketball program!

And the football program and men's and women's soccer....

Why do schools put up with the NCAA? The big $$ schools get a pass while medium to small programs get hammered and suffer financially. When is enough enough?

Why do schools put up with the NCAA? The big $$ schools get a pass while medium to small programs get hammered and suffer financially. When is enough enough?

It's all about the money. The NCAA and the rank and file schools know that the big schools bring in the mega revenue that pays the NCAA salaries and gives the guaranteed payouts to the rest of the NCAA. That's why Cleveland State gets punished and UNC and Kentucky do not. Kansas basketball will be an interesting test of that theory because it seems like the evidence against them is overwhelming. Maybe Self steps down and falls on his sword for Kansas and the NCAA says the change in the coaches is a sufficient penalty for them.

It's all about the money. The NCAA and the rank and file schools know that the big schools bring in the mega revenue that pays the NCAA salaries and gives the guaranteed payouts to the rest of the NCAA. That's why Cleveland State gets punished and UNC and Kentucky do not. Kansas basketball will be an interesting test of that theory because it seems like the evidence against them is overwhelming. Maybe Self steps down and falls on his sword for Kansas and the NCAA says the change in the coaches is a sufficient penalty for them.

And then we hire Bill Self?

That was going to be the next line that you wrote, right? We hire Bill Self and Danny stays on as the team's travel planner / hype man?

Would love for Bill Self to coach WF, but he is heading to the NBA.

Self isn’t falling on any swords, trust me. The guy is a grade A asshole and seriously thinks that there was no wrongdoing within his program. Which is incredible considering what has been made public recently.

The post-season ban includes the ACC tourney as well.

And I forgot that GT also paid the $2.5 M buyout to get Geoff Collins from Temple to replace Johnson.
Is that going to produce an extra bye for someone in the first day of the tourney?

Would love for Bill Self to coach WF, but he is heading to the NBA.

Maybe Bill Self can replace Ernie Nestor? We'd get more of that head coaching experience on the bench that people around here are always pining for.

Do you think he'd go for that?

I mean, just for this season... And THEN he can move on to the NBA.

That's actually a pretty meaningful penalty when you get into the details. Wonder how they can justify keeping Pastner around? Also wonder who else would take that job w/ the recruiting handcuffs.

Oh, it's basically the short term death penalty for this program. To be fair, hiring Brian Gregory and Josh Pastner back to back was basically a self imposed death penalty ... so what's the difference.

Reading the report is quite interesting. GT cannot fire Pastner with cause as the NCAA did not hold him responsible for the violations. NCAA held former asst coach Barrie responsible for the 2 Level I violations and held Bell responsible for the Level II violations. So GT cannot activate the 'with cause' portion of the contract - which requires either Pastner to be personally liable for level I violations or fail to report any other level of violations within the program within a timely manner. The report mentions that Pastner immediately reported the violations as soon as he found out they occurred. (NCAA found out about the OV violations first as it is rumored Wendell's mom gave that information to them when they were asking about Wendell and Duke. Pastner found out about Bell's violations when Bell tried to extort him for money).

The Bell stuff ended up being fairly minor to the NCAA. That was classifed as Level II and the penalties directly related to that were the suspensions to Okogie and Bell back in 2017 and the disassociation of GT with Bell (Which GT had already done).
The Labarrie violations are what killed GT. He was charged with 2 Level I violations. The first was providing impermissible benefits on an OV (strip club visit and $300 plus a free dinner). The second was lying about his role in those impermissible benefits when questioned by GT and NCAA. The NCAA was really upset with the Strip Club visit. it was mentioned multiple times in the report as having no place in college athletics.

The penalties for the OV violations visit are among the most serious recruiting penalties I think i have ever seen given what occurred.
It includes a reduction of 3 official visits per year for the next 4 years.
Post-season ban (this includes ACC Tourney) for 2019-2020 season.
The reduction of one scholarship per year for the next 4 years.
The reduction of 19 recruiting-person days per year for the next 4 years.
The ban of unofficial visits and recruiting communications for 8 weeks per year for 4 years.
And no official visits allowed during men's basketball events (ie home baskerball games) for the next 2 years.
Also Labarrie, was hit with a 3-yr show cause.
GT will have to vacate records for the games that the basketball host (I think it was AD Gueye) played in after the official visit as the $300 and free dinner were impermissible and made him ineligible.
GT has to disassociate with LaBarrie and Jarrett Jack for 3 years.

The NCAA did not hold Pastner personally responsible for Bell's conduct. The report mentioned that Pastner told Bell multiple times to never provide anything to the student-athletes. It also mentioned that Bell specifically told the 2 players and one potential transfer to not tell Pastner about anything he gave them. It mentions in regards to the transfer the Bell told Pastner that Crawford was interested in transferring to GT and that Pastner told Bell that that sounded great but that he could not talk to Crawford until after the end of the semester and Crawford needed to talk to Coach Smith first. Says GT stopped trying to recruit Crawford when they were unable to get in contact with him for over a week.
The report also mentions that Pastner would leave with Bell after games when he was in town, but then Bell would circle back after Pastner had left campus to meet up with SA's.

GT did get hit harder due to it being the third violation in 8 years. Here were the other 2 violations.
2009 - improper men's basketball on camus tryouts
2011 - improper text and phone calls by basketball staff member.
GT was also given higher penalties for not exposing the violations through its compliance department earlier.

I don't expect Pastner to be fired. I actually expect him to be retained for at least 2 years. They can't fire him with cause and what coach would take the job right now given the recruiting restrictions put in place by the NCAA. I expect GT to appeal at least some of the penalties - they were reportedly shocked at how severe the penalties handed out were as they reported the violations as soon as they found out about them and worked openly with the NCAA on investigating them. I think GT will wait until later in the probation period as the restrictions become less severe - Pastner's buyout drops and they have a chance to hire someone who would want to be there.

IMO, even if he wasn't personally liable for the violations according to the NCAA, they occurred under his watch so why not let Pastner deal with the fallout.

Also, just to spill salt in the wound this article came out last night.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...charging-any-more-schools-named-in-fbi-probe/

Last edited:
In a lot of ways, Manning has a ton more incentive to run recruiting by the book than any other coach in the country.

He knows he's here only because of Wellman's multi-year gift of a contract and the only way he can screw himself out of millions if not 10+ million is a recruiting or personal conduct violation. That's it. He can buy Jeffrey Epstein's island from his estate if he can do those two things. Basically, all he has to do is wake up, blow his a whistle a few times, and go back to bed.

True and lol

NC State is no Kansas, of course, but this will be part of the Pack's argument for leniency. Something tells me the NCAA will stick it to State regardless.

Here's the most ironic thing for this GT alum. I was strongly against hiring Pastner 3 years ago - I wrote letters to board members about it.
But i'd be strongly against firing him right now.

it really makes no sense to fire him, the damage is already done. He's already the second lowest paid coach in the conference. If you want to fire him realistically you are going to have to reach a settlement with him since the NCAA cleared him of personal responsbility for the violations and more importantly what coach would take the job right now given the restrictions the NCAA placed on the program. GT would also need the money to hire someone and they spent their rainy day fund on the new FB coaching staff. (Though one poster above did have one item wrong - GT payed no buyout to Johnson, he resigned. Gt finally finished paying off Hewitt in April and then this happened).

it's his program and his mess. Let him coach through it. On paper the next 2 seasons should be his 2 best teams to date, we'll see if it pans out that way.

No one here really gives a shit about the whole Ga Tech cheating scandal saga. We just want a team to suck more than we do.

GT fandom worst I've ever seen for any school. They are down to college golf. And that's saying a lot as we are Wake Forest.

Here's the most ironic thing for this GT alum. I was strongly against hiring Pastner 3 years ago - I wrote letters to board members about it.
But i'd be strongly against firing him right now.

Yeah, there's no fix for this. We just have to ride it out for a few years knowing the tire fire will keep smoking. Hopefully once it's burned completely the ground, we can start fresh in about 2024-2025. Until then, I simply don't see any hope at all.

Bill Self essentially telling the NCAA to F-themselves in the latest KS Basketball video. He is not hiding his connection to Adidas...

Last edited:
Back