Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: College basketball bribery scandal

This story might be bigger than Wakeyleaks

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Buddy of mine who works at Louisville told me the rumor that the athletic department will implode tomorrow. He said all of this is "endemic of the university" saying "There's so much wrong here you wouldn't believe."

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Big news expected out of Louisville tomorrow morning. Likely Pitino firing (or worse).
    If he's fired, things really came around full circle for him coaching in the state of KY. Hired by UK, rebuilds program on probation, wins title a few years later, leaves. Hired by UL, wins title a few years later, fired with team on probation.

If this really explodes, the NCAA is replaced by some government agency overseeing all of the college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconhoops View Post
    If this really explodes, the NCAA is replaced by some government agency overseeing all of the college sports.
    No way.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacKillsaDevil View Post
    So if Pitino is fired or resigns and retires or moves on to the NBA, he doesn't have to even meet or disclose anything to the NCAA during a subsequent investigation while he was coach?

It doesn't directly say that but it seems like a logical extension. I could easily be wrong, but if true, he was probably fired earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    No way.
    This is exactly how the Federal government grows its business. They will poke and prod and embarrass the crap out of the NCAA for its mismanagement of this and every other scandal for the last 20 years. Think of it as “lack of institutional control” charges against the NCAA. Then, much like they did with Title 9, they will say that any higher education institution receiving federal dollars will have to answer to the new Department of Collegiate Athletics or some new bureaucracy like that.

I’m not fully understanding why this is a federal crime. Is it because the coaches are public officials/ paid by the state? ... can private school coaches get roped in? Asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by DEACisGO View Post
    I’m not fully understanding why this is a federal crime. Is it because the coaches are public officials/ paid by the state? ... can private school coaches get roped in? Asking for a friend
    USC is a private school.

Ok but in reality I would like to better understand why this is a federal crime #lawnoob

I think the cliffs is because it happened across multiple state lines, thus beyond the scope of any particular set of state laws. Some lawyer can chime in if I'm off...

This is exactly how they brought down Al Capone.

Quote Originally Posted by DEACisGO View Post
    Ok but in reality I would like to better understand why this is a federal crime #lawnoob
    Feds tend to be interested when there are possible failures to pay income taxes. Also, it started as securities fraud. Some financial advisor did some things with a client's money that seemed to fit that crime. He rolled and cooperated to start the investigation into where the money came from and where it was going. Bribery to convince someone to use a particular financial advisor is frowned on by feds.

I would also think there would be tax evasion, money laundering, racketeering, etc. Those are federal crimes.

Just a guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconhoops View Post
    This is exactly how the Federal government grows its business. They will poke and prod and embarrass the crap out of the NCAA for its mismanagement of this and every other scandal for the last 20 years. Think of it as “lack of institutional control” charges against the NCAA. Then, much like they did with Title 9, they will say that any higher education institution receiving federal dollars will have to answer to the new Department of Collegiate Athletics or some new bureaucracy like that.
    So you think Betsy Devos and the Department of Education are going to take over college athletics? LOL.

It must be asked: did Obama trade on this inside info in his Barackatology brackets with Andy Katz?

This is going to be the equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel for the FBI and IRS. Visit the families of the top recruits for the past several years and offer them a deal if they come clean, agree to testify and pay the delinquent taxes.

I suspect there will many amended tax returns being filed soon.

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Good thing we didn't get Andy Enfield
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car