• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

So you think Betsy Devos and the Department of Education are going to take over college athletics? LOL.

As completely absurd as it sounds - and I understand it does, yes. The Feds will not be able to resist overseeing the multi-billion business that is college athletics. It will destroy college athletics as we know it.

College athletics as we know it is corrupt.

Sorry to not go through all pages here, but can somebody tell me why this is FBI illegal as opposed to just NCAA illegal?

College athletics as we know it is corrupt.

I seem to recall a large public university from your home state making this statement for the last several years, to the derisive jeers of its envy-stricken haters.#jhmdwasrightagain

Sorry to not go through all pages here, but can somebody tell me why this is FBI illegal as opposed to just NCAA illegal?

I believe because the schools receive federal funding, it opens up its employees to federal bribery charges.

I had the same question and haven't received a good answer. In doing some research, I found that bribery is a federal/state crime for any "public official" (of which ncaa coaches often are) to receive money in exchange for a favor. There are also commercial bribery laws on the books but I don't know if that applies or not. Also, tax issues for whether the money that was paid was reported or under the table, paid taxes, etc. Still not 100% sure about bribery and "public officials" for private schools and how that works.

no offense to UL grads who are generally just as fine of people as anyone else, but thanks to TV/football money, we end up with with this hot steaming turd of an athletic department in UL. I feel like the conference underwear has been permanently stained.

Last edited:
Here is a short excerpt from the ESPN article about the charges.

"Each of the coaches is charged with bribery conspiracy, solicitation of bribes, honest services fraud conspiracy, honest service fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and Travel Act conspiracy. The U.S. Department of Justice said each of the coaches faces a maximum sentence of 80 years in prison."

In addition, the general issue is that Adidas bribed various people to eventually sign with them once they became pros, and to make this more likely to happen, Adidas gave (bribe) money to HS players' families so the player would sign with Adidas schools (Miami, Louisville and the others). The coaches named in the indictments were involved in the financial transactions that the feds have alleged constitute bribery, fraud etc.

This is going to be the equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel for the FBI and IRS. Visit the families of the top recruits for the past several years and offer them a deal if they come clean, agree to testify and pay the delinquent taxes.

I suspect there will many amended tax returns being filed soon.

These ten little fish they are starting with ain't shit. This will quickly become all the shoe companies, the AAU basketball machine, and at least 1/3 of the college basketball teams in the USA. This is going to be nuclear.

It is definitely going nuclear because these coaches don't see themselves as criminals and they are all going to sing like canaries. You put 80 years in front of them and they will implicate everyone involved. Nervous times for a lot of basketball coaches.

It is definitely going nuclear because these coaches don't see themselves as criminals and they are all going to sing like canaries. You put 80 years in front of them and they will implicate everyone involved. Nervous times for a lot of basketball coaches.

The coaches will mostly only have hearsay. It's the adidas rep (who per Gary Parrish was recently flipped from Nike), the financial advisors and agents who will likely have real evidence.

The coaches will mostly only have hearsay. It's the adidas rep (who per Gary Parrish was recently flipped from Nike), the financial advisors and agents who will likely have real evidence.

The cops/FBI can/will use the statements of coaches in their investigation and it will be a useful tool in identifying possible new avenues to explore versus relying on solely non-college sources. Still, you seem to be right in that the FAs, agents, and shoe reps likely have the most info.

Last edited:
Wonder if this started with an investigation into adidas business relations and ended up shifting to college basketball.

Can we include UNC defrauding the government of Pell Grant money by serving up courses devoid of education and serving only to keep athletes eligible to play ball.

I’m slightly worried that we could get roped into this. There were years that we got some very good recruits and future nba prospects. If this is the game that is being played I assume we had to play ball..

Oh sure. Is it possible Wake is 100% clean and good players are choosing Wake over $100K bags of cash? Maybe.

Back