• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

So how deep down the rabbit hole will the FBI and NCAA actually go?

If they get a few scalps and lock up a few assistant coaches, they'll probably back off. Fear of actually going to prison is usually a pretty good deterrent, at least for a while.

Lol

Louisville lands surprise commitment from Brian Bowen, last five-star in 2017
By Matt Norlander Jun 4, 2017 • 2 min read
Louisville on Saturday secured the commitment of Brian Bowen, the final five-star player available in the class of 2017.
The Cardinals were extremely late to the table with the intriguing wing prospect, but after Bowen visited the campus in late May, things swung heavily in favor of Rick Pitino's program. Bowen is a McDonald's All-American who picked U of L over the likes of Michigan State, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon, Texas, DePaul and Creighton.

Nobody was projecting Bowen to Louisville as recently as mid-May. Given that reality, his ironically fast decision comes as a fitting twist to his elongated and mysterious recruitment.

Also, MDMH, if you're reading this, enjoy it. I can't imagine that other than your wedding day and the impending birth of your child that there could be a much sweeter feeling as a UK fan.
fe8ec053519b538a7d96c438d55d3aaa.gif

Nothing worse than all these "we are shocked and appalled at this behavior" from the AD and school leaders where people have already been busted. Yeah like you didn't know this was going on.

You really think that Pitino gets fired tomorrow? That would be amazing! Louisville is right up there with VT for the fan base I most hate in the ACC.

The Auburn connection is pretty interesting. Despite not having a great basketball tradition, once Pearl arrived, they started bringing in top recruits a level above where they had been before. Pearl already had a pretty shady history before arriving.

edited to add that Person was brought in by Pearl when he was hired.

Now we know how Auburn signed those players. Pearl has already had a "show cause" order from the NCAA. If Person rolls on him at all, Pearl's career is over. Too bad!

I kinda wonder why Rick needed to pay for 5 stars when he built great, final four caliber teams of 4 star players. Was it the stress of competing in the ACC?

I kinda wonder why Rick needed to pay for 5 stars when he built great, final four caliber teams of 4 star players. Was it the stress of competing in the ACC?

Competing with Duke and UK will do that to you.

Cal cheated at UMass... he cheated at Memphis but was smart enough to bring a lot of staff (office staff included) with him so to cover his tracks. No doubt he's not above reproach at KY...The guy is simply unclean

Now we know how Auburn signed those players. Pearl has already had a "show cause" order from the NCAA. If Person rolls on him at all, Pearl's career is over. Too bad!

The NCAA already has a rule that says whatever the assistant does falls on the head coach. They changed it/added it in after the Louisville hooker scandal.

Fuck Louisville and fuck the NCAA. This should be the tipping point, but so many people sucking $$ out of it.

Assuming Wake doesn't get dragged into this, I should be happy to hear this, but I can't help but thinking - doesn't the FBI have better things to do

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...y-took-bribes-agents-deliver-athletes-n804781

"Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said the FBI and prosecutors set out to investigate the "dark underbelly of college basketball" and found a pay-to-play culture flourishing in some corners of the NCAA."

I can see why the NCAA would care but is this really something that the FBI needs to be targeting?

Bribery, tax evasion, no big deal

I'm really surprised that Orlando Antigua wasn't implicated in some of this. That dude always seems to be on the wrong side of the ethical line.

Back