• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

1a0f6900bf31d95fbd74ae6e4ef50218.png

Buddy of mine who works at Louisville told me the rumor that the athletic department will implode tomorrow. He said all of this is "endemic of the university" saying "There's so much wrong here you wouldn't believe."

Big news expected out of Louisville tomorrow morning. Likely Pitino firing (or worse).

If he's fired, things really came around full circle for him coaching in the state of KY. Hired by UK, rebuilds program on probation, wins title a few years later, leaves. Hired by UL, wins title a few years later, fired with team on probation.

If this really explodes, the NCAA is replaced by some government agency overseeing all of the college sports.

This is exactly how the Federal government grows its business. They will poke and prod and embarrass the crap out of the NCAA for its mismanagement of this and every other scandal for the last 20 years. Think of it as “lack of institutional control” charges against the NCAA. Then, much like they did with Title 9, they will say that any higher education institution receiving federal dollars will have to answer to the new Department of Collegiate Athletics or some new bureaucracy like that.

I’m not fully understanding why this is a federal crime. Is it because the coaches are public officials/ paid by the state? ... can private school coaches get roped in? Asking for a friend

I’m not fully understanding why this is a federal crime. Is it because the coaches are public officials/ paid by the state? ... can private school coaches get roped in? Asking for a friend

USC is a private school.

Ok but in reality I would like to better understand why this is a federal crime #lawnoob

I think the cliffs is because it happened across multiple state lines, thus beyond the scope of any particular set of state laws. Some lawyer can chime in if I'm off...

Ok but in reality I would like to better understand why this is a federal crime #lawnoob

Feds tend to be interested when there are possible failures to pay income taxes. Also, it started as securities fraud. Some financial advisor did some things with a client's money that seemed to fit that crime. He rolled and cooperated to start the investigation into where the money came from and where it was going. Bribery to convince someone to use a particular financial advisor is frowned on by feds.

I would also think there would be tax evasion, money laundering, racketeering, etc. Those are federal crimes.

Just a guess on my part.

This is exactly how the Federal government grows its business. They will poke and prod and embarrass the crap out of the NCAA for its mismanagement of this and every other scandal for the last 20 years. Think of it as “lack of institutional control” charges against the NCAA. Then, much like they did with Title 9, they will say that any higher education institution receiving federal dollars will have to answer to the new Department of Collegiate Athletics or some new bureaucracy like that.

So you think Betsy Devos and the Department of Education are going to take over college athletics? LOL.

It must be asked: did Obama trade on this inside info in his Barackatology brackets with Andy Katz?

This is going to be the equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel for the FBI and IRS. Visit the families of the top recruits for the past several years and offer them a deal if they come clean, agree to testify and pay the delinquent taxes.

I suspect there will many amended tax returns being filed soon.

Back