• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Are your scandal predictions as good as your Hurricane Irma predictions? Is anyone able to live in Florida yet, or is it still underwater?

2&2,

So, you are still maintaining that this prosecution won't impact NCAA basketball in any significant way?

2&2,

So, you are still maintaining that this prosecution won't impact NCAA basketball in any significant way?

It will affect the handful of individuals and schools involved for a relatively short period of time. It'll be business as usual for everyone else, maybe even worse since the focus won't be on them. But it won't be Numbers' doomsday prediction du jour.

Again, from an NCAA perspective this is nothing compared to Penn State, and honestly nothing compared to UNC, and those two schools are humming along. So a school gave cash/gifts to a recruit, so what? Calipari got busted for that 20 years ago and is still rolling along fine. Does USC regret Reggie Bush? Hell no. This is different because the assistant coaches may get jailtime, but that really doesn't effect the sports themselves. College sports as a whole will keep going as corrupt as it has been.

Those assistants will roll on coaches in a heartbeat. They're done in the industry and will easily flip to avoid federal prison.

Again, this is a bigger deal than those other cases because this involves people outside of the NCAA. An Adidas executive has already been indicted. This isn't just a case of a couple rogue assistants paying a player. Based on the USAO's conference yesterday and what they've released, this is merely the tip of the iceberg.

The good news is that we will see in due course what impact this has on the NCAA and 2&2 will be proven wrong, repeatedly (as always), in a slow and steady manner. We can revisit this thread for years as each new tidbit comes out and laugh at 2&2's standard cynicism

Yes this is going to be humongous and change college BB in a big way and potentially including NCAA. FBI just subpoenaed Nike's EYBL division. The Adidas Exec. will give up all kinds of info. on other coaches/schools involved to get the 80 year sentence reduced... The other assistants will have lots of info. Lots more to come. It will just be a matter of what new schools/coaches are next in line to be disclosed.

I mean if the scandal ended right now, it's already one of the biggest in NCAA history isn't it? It took out a coaching legend and saw four assistant coaches in the best conferences in Division I basketball indicted on federal charges all within the first 24 hours of the public announcement.

Those assistants will roll on coaches in a heartbeat. They're done in the industry and will easily flip to avoid federal prison.

Again, this is a bigger deal than those other cases because this involves people outside of the NCAA. An Adidas executive has already been indicted. This isn't just a case of a couple rogue assistants paying a player. Based on the USAO's conference yesterday and what they've released, this is merely the tip of the iceberg.

The good news is that we will see in due course what impact this has on the NCAA and 2&2 will be proven wrong, repeatedly (as always), in a slow and steady manner. We can revisit this thread for years as each new tidbit comes out and laugh at 2&2's standard cynicism

If most/all of the assistants and players involved are black and most/all of the coaches are white, the narrative will turn to where the players and assistants are "victims of the system", and the coaches and the shoe execs will end up the bad guys in this.

If it gets too big, the gov't and NCAA will have a conference call and give everyone a mulligan.

The potential economic impact could prove too large. I think the big players assume that.

Now prison sentences for repeat offenders might get someone's attention.

If it gets too big, the gov't and NCAA will have a conference call and give everyone a mulligan.

The potential economic impact could prove too large. I think the big players assume that.

Now prison sentences for repeat offenders might get someone's attention.

What does a "mulligan" or a "conference call" look like in the middle of a large federal conspiracy investigation?

I mean if the scandal ended right now, it's already one of the biggest in NCAA history isn't it? It took out a coaching legend and saw four assistant coaches in the best conferences in Division I basketball indicted on federal charges all within the first 24 hours of the public announcement.

Nobody gives a shit about assistant coaches, and Pitino will be back on someone's bench in 2 years.

Fuck man, Baylor basketball killed someone and nothing really happened, they are still as dirty, if not more dirty, than everyone else.

What does a "mulligan" or a "conference call" look like in the middle of a large federal conspiracy investigation?

Kinda' looks like the NCAA's meeting with Williams and Fedora, apparently.

Seriously, a city like Louisville invests millions in the Yum Center and in surrounding urban development like parking decks and tax breaks to bring in restaurants and hotels...all on the assumption the UofL will provide the largest portion of the revenue for decades to come. Then the program is given the death penalty or something close. The economic fallout extends far beyond the university.

Now multiply that several times over in cities that are the size of Louisville and smaller.

Last edited:
If most/all of the assistants and players involved are black and most/all of the coaches are white, the narrative will turn to where the players and assistants are "victims of the system", and the coaches and the shoe execs will end up the bad guys in this.

The coaches and shoe execs are the bad guys, regardless of race. If someone is waiving five figure checks at a 17 year old, I'm not putting a lot of blame on the kid.

Yes this is going to be humongous and change college BB in a big way and potentially including NCAA. FBI just subpoenaed Nike's EYBL division. The Adidas Exec. will give up all kinds of info. on other coaches/schools involved to get the 80 year sentence reduced... The other assistants will have lots of info. Lots more to come. It will just be a matter of what new schools/coaches are next in line to be disclosed.

Won't the big changes come in the AAU system? Isn't that where all the shoe companies have gotten access to the kids and where the shenanigans start.

The coaches and shoe execs are the bad guys, regardless of race. If someone is waiving five figure checks at a 17 year old, I'm not putting a lot of blame on the kid.

Not so sure it is just someone waiving a check at a kid. More like a handler/coach/parent saying "show me the money if you want this kid to play for ..."

I think that Bzzz is the logical choice to replace Pitino . The Louisville players will l/earn to put on their socks correctly and it will be a chance for 2* players to be treated just like 5* players

Back