• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

NCAA could always go all NCAA and make up a punishment but if this amounts to more than the coach (that’s no longer at NCSU) getting a show clause and NCSU forfeiting that season. Not much to see here in the end I’d think. And that’s if anything even happens with all of this FBI stuff (from an NCAA punishment angle). Going to take a long time to play out it seems.

Most intriguing thing to me is how much are Nike schools like UNC/Duke/UK paying these guys and when/if does someone flip and bring them into this whole thing. KU info yesterday sort of brough Under Armor into the fray so it’s obvious all 3 major shoe companies are doing this stuff.

I'm going off of memory here, but didn't the Nassir Little Miami/Arizona part involve Nike? Something like someone (family member?) told Adidas and/or Miami that they needed to pony up more money, as Nike was going to pay X amount, if he went to Arizona. If so, it seems like some Nike people should be a little worried about what the FBI is still digging into.

NCAA could always go all NCAA and make up a punishment but if this amounts to more than the coach (that’s no longer at NCSU) getting a show clause and NCSU forfeiting that season. Not much to see here in the end I’d think. And that’s if anything even happens with all of this FBI stuff (from an NCAA punishment angle). Going to take a long time to play out it seems.

Most intriguing thing to me is how much are Nike schools like UNC/Duke/UK paying these guys and when/if does someone flip and bring them into this whole thing. KU info yesterday sort of brough Under Armor into the fray so it’s obvious all 3 major shoe companies are doing this stuff.

Wait, what? USC still got hit pretty hard after Carroll was gone, and OSU got a postseason ban in addition to Tressel's show clause (and that was simply for players selling/trading their memorabilia). Just because the coaches responsible are no longer at the school certainly does not absolve the school/program. Although, if this were happening at Wake, I'm sure people would probably be trying to spin-doctor things similarly.

Wait, what? USC still got hit pretty hard after Carroll was gone, and OSU got a postseason ban in addition to Tressel's show clause (and that was simply for players selling/trading their memorabilia). Just because the coaches responsible are no longer at the school certainly does not absolve the school/program. Although, if this were happening at Wake, I'm sure people would probably be trying to spin-doctor things similarly.

I guess that is true, hadn't thought of those instances in a while. Certainly don't feel like those schools were really impacted by any punishment they got thought were they? Or am I miss-remembering? Just maybe a little jaded after UNC got nothing. I just don't see NCSU getting much more than maybe a reduction of a scholarship or two for a few years and then forfeiting every game DSJ played in. Which to me, is not really anything serious I haven't done much research to find equal malfeasance and see what the punishment was so could be completely wrong. Not sure if the OSU/USC stuff is the best apples to apples comparison or not. I would think that the now UNC patented "rouge" coach/player/teacher excuse could be used here from what i've read (and the way the document that came out is worded) and that it wasn't some LOIC or anything major like that. But like I said, not the most well versed and i'm obviously at least a little biased.

Does it get any better than UNC skating on 20 years of cheating while NCState gets nailed. The fuckers are going to be suicidal.

Exploding-head.gif

Add Maryland to the list of schools receiving subpoenas as part of the investigation.

From that article, the following schools could have issues:

- L'ville
- State
- Maryland
- Kansas (looks like they may not Silvio De Sousa this season)
- Arizona
- Oregon

It's a different player involved with Arizona, but Mark Schlabach doesn't look so bad now.

Interesting strategy. Wake can make the tournament if all other programs are banned from post-season play. Kinda brilliant.

Wellman probably thinks if it weren't for his culture war Wake would be mired in this with Dino.

At this point, and based on the way the NCAA sat on it's hands with UNC, I'd trade that for the last 8.5 years in a heartbeat.

I’m sure Nasir Little opted to go to UNC without payment after Zona offered $150k

Back