Page 1 of 65 1234561151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1288

Thread: College basketball bribery scandal

  1. #1

    College basketball bribery scandal

    http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...arrests-2017-9

    The FBI arrested 10 people on charges of charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball on Tuesday.

    The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that four college basketball coaches at Auburn and Oklahoma State University and had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company.
    Tom Winter‏Verified account
    @Tom_Winter
    Follow
    More
    BREAKING: Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.


    Gary Parrish‏Verified account
    @GaryParrishCBS
    Follow
    More Gary Parrish Retweeted Gary Parrish
    The other two assistant coaches facing charges are Arizonaís Book Richardson and USCís Tony Bland.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Holy crap

  4. #4
    Here are the charges against Person.

    https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...98746/download

    Some excerpts







    Who knew a Bruce Pearl staffer would do something like this?!!!

  5. #5
    Does the Lamont Evans involvement affect Underwood and thus Ayo's recruitment?

  6. #6
    I used to bomb 3s with Chuck Person on NBA Live 98

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    I used to bomb 3s with Chuck Person on NBA Live 98
    This will be helpful evidence in mitigation at sentencing. Juice, the e-Character Witness. "Listen, I don't know much about these charges and this evidence, but you could not leave me alone with Chuck Person in the corner back in the day."

  8. #8
    Auburn hasn't produced a #1 NBA draft pick in 17 years. Not sure the money given to Chuck Person was well spent.

  9. #9
    hearing this is mostly around Adidas is that correct if so what are the "Addidas" teams in the ACC? TMZ reporting Louisville involved, too --- what a surprise

  10. #10
    Didn't Vad just go off about GaTech switching to Adidas? Hey Devoe, that coach is poison.

  11. #11
    Great.

    More programs that will now receive NCAA penalties before UNC-CH.

    Wonder if the death penalty would be on the table for Auburn basketball (not that their fanbase would mind).

  12. #12
    Scooter Banks
    ChaosDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mt. Terror, WA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Partree View Post
    hearing this is mostly around Adidas is that correct if so what are the "Addidas" teams in the ACC? TMZ reporting Louisville involved, too --- what a surprise
    NC State is adidas. GT just went with adidas.

    From the looks of it, the preliminary accusations are based on bribes to get players to choose a sponsor when going pro so it's not limited to adidas schools but they're the most likely targets of attempted bribes. Plus, if adidas people are pushing bribes aimed at current student athletes, I'd imagine there is some unsavory stuff going on behind the scenes illegally pushing players to adidas schools with high school recruiting as well.

    ETA: Just saw the post above with the recruiting implications so yeah.
    Last edited by ChaosDeac; 09-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Great.

    More programs that will now receive NCAA penalties before UNC-CH.

    Wonder if the death penalty would be on the table for Auburn basketball (not that their fanbase would mind).
    No one would notice. Auburn would use the money saved to install a bigger jumbotron at Jordan-Hare. Fans would see it as the biggest win for Auburn Basketball, probably ever.

  14. #14
    Baylor basketball is/was an Adidas school. Where there is a major scandal, got to think Baylor will play some sort of role.

  15. #15
    Just way too much money involved to talk about amateurism and academics with a straight face.

    Least surprising scandal ever.

  16. #16
    How do we kick UL out of the ACC?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Didn't Vad just go off about GaTech switching to Adidas? Hey Devoe, that coach is poison.
    If were Devoe, I'd take precaution

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    Just way too much money involved to talk about amateurism and academics with a straight face.

    Least surprising scandal ever.
    Agreed. It's coming out now because the FBI actually decided to look into it, apparently starting in 2015. This is great news for any school doing things the right way. Shame on the ACC for letting UL in, or ever giving them the benefit of the doubt.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    Agreed. It's coming out now because the FBI actually decided to look into it, apparently starting in 2015. This is great news for any school doing things the right way. Shame on the ACC for letting UL in, or ever giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    It's just a reminder that a school that takes and develops 3 star talent into reigning national champions does so amidst a sea of unseemly characters and blatant cheating. All the more impressive.

  20. #20
    Glad they're going after the crooked adults for once instead of lowering the boom on poor "student athletes" who took some scraps of money while the coaches, as usual, got $$paid$$.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •