• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I would think any players that were involved will not be eligible to play elsewhere.

I don't know. I'm not sure how many in Congress want to be in the position of potentially shutting down college sports programs.

For example, Senator Roy Moore isn't going to pursue anything that could domino into Alabama football.

A little presumptive, aren't we?

I would think any players that were involved will not be eligible to play elsewhere.

I'd like to see the players be eligible to play after paying back the money.

I don't know. I'm not sure how many in Congress want to be in the position of potentially shutting down college sports programs.

For example, Senator Roy Moore isn't going to pursue anything that could domino into Alabama football.

They'll just bring the hammer down on UAB and defund that program (again)

Lol at least for the time being, Jurich 's Wikipedia page has been updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Jurich Thomas M. Jurich (born July 26, 1956) is an American college sports administrator and former football player. He was the vice president and director of athletics at the University of Louisville until he done got fired.

I don't think the issues at all schools are the same. If it's just a rogue assistant taking some money from an agent, tailor, whatever to push a kid to that company, then only the assistant is likely to get fired, unless there is evidence that the head coach knew about it. The problem for UL is that: 1. it involves payment(s) to a recruit(s) as inducement to attend the university, and 2. they were already in trouble for the hooker thing. Even if Pitino really didn't know about these things going on, it is pretty clear that he has established a culture where his assistants think these things are OK.

There is no way that a rogue assistant is signing off on a transfer of 6 figures without the head coach knowing.

There is plausible deniability, and then there is...that. Just no way.

Damn skippy. Nobody embarrass the Papa like this. Nobody.

Also lets talk conspiracy theories here, who has the most to gain from Adidas being busted like this?

Is there anyway this doesn't spill over to their dirty football program too?

There is no way that a rogue assistant is signing off on a transfer of 6 figures without the head coach knowing.

There is plausible deniability, and then there is...that. Just no way.

No shit. Again, not every indictment involved the payment of money to recruits or even current players. For some of the assistants indicted, it was because THEY accepted money from agents, tailors, financial planners, etc. with the promise that they would push current players to use their service. It wouldn't be that much of a leap to believe someone like Sean Miller had no idea his assistant was grabbing a few thousand here and there from an agent, and then recommending that agent to their players.

Really hoping Coach K gets sucked into this. A boy can dream.

Other thoughts: I think this likely exploded because didn't Cam Newton essentially get away with the exact same thing? Didn't lose anything, provided a university a national championship all with everyone knowing that he and his father GOT PAID? Companies mimick what works so why wouldn't universities do the same?

Back