• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I’m slightly worried that we could get roped into this. There were years that we got some very good recruits and future nba prospects. If this is the game that is being played I assume we had to play ball..

I don't know much about the Manning administration (although I'm sure they are above board) but the previous ones (Prosser/Dino and Buzz) did things the right way with regards to recruiting. Sleep easy knowing that.

I don't know much about the Manning administration (although I'm sure they are above board) but the previous ones (Prosser/Dino and Buzz) did things the right way with regards to recruiting. Sleep easy knowing that.

Don't know about Dino and Bezzledick but LD put up a tweet that said the only thing Coach P promised anyone was a degree

I had the same question and haven't received a good answer. In doing some research, I found that bribery is a federal/state crime for any "public official" (of which ncaa coaches often are) to receive money in exchange for a favor. There are also commercial bribery laws on the books but I don't know if that applies or not. Also, tax issues for whether the money that was paid was reported or under the table, paid taxes, etc. Still not 100% sure about bribery and "public officials" for private schools and how that works.

Makes sense, though it seems like a misapplication of the statutes.

If [Redacted] cheated and puts us on probation....oh my. Wouldn't that be just perfect. It would be like him to self report right now, receive immunity and put our program on probation.

If [Redacted] cheated and puts us on probation....oh my. Wouldn't that be just perfect. It would be like him to self report right now, receive immunity and put our program on probation.

Ha. Can you imagine having to bribe Madison Jones? I mean, a buyout I can deal with, but paying him to come to Wake- yikes.

That would be a level of ineptitude that I doubt even he could reach. If he cheated to bring in Sun-Belt conference level players, that would redefine fecklessness.

We may have had similar situations before where we all thought that whatever particular scandal was in the news was going to redefine college sports. I really think the fallout from this is going to be unprecedented. You hate to pick winner and losers from something like this, but if there is a "winner," it's programs like Wake who have always (seemingly) been above board. At the end of the day, I can't help but think we benefit greatly from this.

We may have had similar situations before where we all thought that whatever particular scandal was in the news was going to redefine college sports. I really think the fallout from this is going to be unprecedented. You hate to pick winner and losers from something like this, but if there is a "winner," it's programs like Wake who have always (seemingly) been above board. At the end of the day, I can't help but think we benefit greatly from this.

I agree. The FBI having warrants and wiretaps is much different than toothless NCAA investigators finding some wrongdoing and then fumbling around for years doing nothing.

College sports policy in this country is just like our asinine drug policy. First, outlaw things that adults want to do that are not immoral and hurt no one else (get high/get paid for playing ball). Justify rules with paternalistic explanations that are long-outdated, don't ring true to much of anyone under the age of 45, and mainly serve to enforce the existing power structure. Enforce rules in such a way that mostly poor black kids get shafted while rich white people prosper.

Add all this together to create ideal conditions for the development of a lucrative black market and then act SHOCKED when said black market is discovered.

this article has the best explanation of the criminal charges theory I've seen so far. Some of the charges do seem like a pretty tortured reading of the law but I'm no expert on federal criminal practice (and plan to keep it that way). https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ion-college-basketball-fraud-louisville-bribe
The DOJ gets indictments for everything possible then routinely narrows the charges depending on cooperation and/or their best chances of success at trial. Part of it is an attempt at shock & awe, trying to get defendants to roll on each other and/or plea to lesser charges and avoid a prolonged court case.

College sports policy in this country is just like our asinine drug policy. First, outlaw things that adults want to do that are not immoral and hurt no one else (get high/get paid for playing ball). Justify rules with paternalistic explanations that are long-outdated, don't ring true to much of anyone under the age of 45, and mainly serve to enforce the existing power structure. Enforce rules in such a way that mostly poor black kids get shafted while rich white people prosper.

Add all this together to create ideal conditions for the development of a lucrative black market and then act SHOCKED when said black market is discovered.

Yep but how else can you lord your whiteness over others in a way that's entrenched in our culture and acceptable to the masses?

Back