• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can Someone Make Sense Of The Cowboys Taking A Knee During National Anthem?

No progress has been made whatsoever. You can't bring up the 50s or 60s around here. Does nothing. Systemic racism was built by white america and until white people can somehow change their privileged lily white asses, there will be no justice for minorities.

The best equalizer would be all interracial marriages till there are no white people left. I can't think of a better way. I'm not being sarcastic either. Keep moving forward.

You voted for the chief birther- it seems like not enough progress has been made.

I missed riscdeac #hottakes. It doesn't take much to uncover the vail.

oldmandeac still hasn't answered my question.

I'm just looking for some examples. Instead I'm getting "Oh my god, Ph. *sniff, sniff* Stop being so racist!"

The protesting is obviously ineffective in what you think (claim) its trying to achieve, yet the protest is only growing in numbers. It's very likely that you just don't understand the strategy. You're focused on the short term reactionary white conservative anger as a result of the protest, when that anger is merely a predictable consequence. "Gotta crack an egg to make an omelet" and so on.

Wearing a pink ribbon doesn't cure breast cancer either.

Not all conservatives.

Oh sure. There are some conservatives who align with black people on equality issues. Problem is conservative politics works against equality.

When have white conservatives not gotten angry about black people demanding equality?

Good question.

Apparently, never.

At least collectively or generally.

I'm not angry over black people demanding Equality. You don't know my relationships with any black people or what I have or haven't done about equal rights. You don't know what anybody here does for anyone in their daily life other than what they post. or maybe you do if you know them personally.

You people are hysterical. You pick on Wrangor cause he's a Christian (you can't stand Christians ). Yet he's taking poor black kids who may not have a chance and getting them in a good school so they can have the education they deserve and go to college and hopfully live to their full potential. Bitch and moan but this guy's taking these kids and making a difference in their lives.

Interesting.

First of all, I thought this thread must be a trolling effort since we had already 1-2 threads discussing this topic. But...maybe not.

Second, I thought Ph's question was a good one. I thought about it and actually spent some time googling and reading articles that discussed reactions/responses of conservatives and white people to black activism/protests. And concluded that generally the response from conservative whites has been something along the lines of..."those activists aren't doing it right or helping their cause...who do they think they are...why don't quit protesting (shut up) and fix their own communities instead of seeming to blame others...it's not my fault you are oppressed...etc." From liberal whites there seems to be more of a tendency to empathize with those protesting injustice.

I certainly did not attempt to point my finger at anyone (here or elsewhere) in particular--hence the "collectively or generally" qualifier I included in my above answer. Of course not every white conservative responds with anger or derision or lacks empathy.

Of course MOST folks, conservative or otherwise do not consider themselves to be racist. Yet we all are likely to some degree to prefer those like ourselves over those different from ourselves...most people likely harbor some racist tendencies. And I do think one's response to this NFL kneeling stuff is likely revealing. The players have worked pretty hard to be clear that they are not kneeling because they "disrespect" the flag or the military or first responders. But to merely display from their place their unhappiness with perceived injustice.

So please explain what is the motive behind anyone insisting nonetheless that the protesters are disrespecting the flag/military/etc. What's the difference between those watching the display who respond "well, they've got a point...it's their right to protest peacefully...etc." and those insisting (angrily) that the protesting is "disgraceful...disgusting...disrespectful...etc.". And into which category of responding do you think political and/or white conservatives are more likely to fall?

I've never picked on anyone here because they are Christian or white or young or old. I admit I do pick on positions and arguments that I think are deserving of it.

I try pretty to hard to make arguments here to not be about me, who I am, what I do, etc. I prefer to let the arguments and words here (mine and others) speak, stand, fall apart from some appeal to personal authority or experience.

Last edited:
Not all conservatives.

Hate to tell you, Wrangor, but you ain't a conservative, at least by the standards set forth by the supposed conservative leaders of today. You actually try to live your faith, meaning that you are neither angry nor spiteful enough to qualify as a conservative.

You clearly aren't a liberal, or even a moderate. But the conservative movement left people like you in the dust at least the moment President Obama was elected, if not a decade or so before.

Because it now entails more that Kaepernick's protest. Now it's about coaches and owners standing up for each other and not really about police brutality. I mean, it is to some no doubt, but when half the fucking NFL is doing it now, it clearly isn't. When the POTUS comes out and says you should fire any SOB who kneels, it provides a rare opportunity for the players and owners to be on the same page. Players are saying fuck you Trump and the owners are saying I'm not going to fire anybody for this because (1) I can't, and (2) it's free speech, so fuck you Trump too. Trump is a uniter after all.

I would say the players and the owners are kneeling for different reasons.

Protecting the Shield is literally the only thing Goodell and the owners care about.

The players are kneeling because Trump called peers "sons of bitches", which, if you listen to the entire speech he gave on Friday night sounded exactly like a white plantation owner preaching to other plantation owners about getting their property in place and line.

While the situation is slightly nuanced, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference.

Kaepernick was kneeling for police brutality and racial injustice.

If you want to appeal to reason, you make a reasoned argument. If you want to appeal to emotion, you make a symbolic gesture.

You surely cannot be serious.

People have been making logical appeals about brutality and racial inequality for decades now in America.

Yea, at this point it's evolved to more represent NFL solidarity and being against the ramblings and ravings of our dear leader.

Still not about disrespecting the flag/country/veterans/etc.

"It's working" like most Dem policies "work." It does absolutely nothing to solve any problem, but guilty white snowflakes feel better about themselves (the original objective all along).

Police departments all over the country have taken steps to address the problem in the last couple of years: new training, third-party review of brutality cases, body cameras, internal policy changes around gun vs. taser use, and so on.

It is working at some level.

I would say the players and the owners are kneeling for different reasons.

Protecting the Shield is literally the only thing Goodell and the owners care about.

The players are kneeling because Trump called peers "sons of bitches", which, if you listen to the entire speech he gave on Friday night sounded exactly like a white plantation owner preaching to other plantation owners about getting their property in place and line.

While the situation is slightly nuanced, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference.

Kaepernick was kneeling for police brutality and racial injustice.

I think there are plenty of players who were kneeling for police brutality and racial injustice now that it's more acceptable to do so.

I think there are plenty of players who were kneeling for police brutality and racial injustice now that it's more acceptable to do so.

i agree. i think they are kneeling for police brutality, equality, and unity. maybe others to say FU to Trump plantation speech...it was like his charlottesville speech all over again. he really doesn't like black people, that is clear.

And THAT vote defines who I am. What a laugh.

That you (and millions of other folks) found it acceptable to vote for a person who spent five years making knowingly false claims about President Obama's birth and national origin says a ton about all of you. And in turn it says a ton about how a percentage of white Americans feel about black folks. No different than voting for a guy who admittedly sexually assaults women says a lot about how the voter values women.

Explain it away however you like. Its the truth.

Sig, I think you don't remember just how bad Hillary's emails were. Totes worse than racism and sexism.

Back