• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can Someone Make Sense Of The Cowboys Taking A Knee During National Anthem?

And, while the GOP rural white base may currently be winning political elections, they've been losing the culture wars for a long, long time. They lost the battle over legal segregation, they lost the battle to legalize abortion, they lost the fight over gay rights and gay marriage, and the culture and society in general - even among many Republicans - has been moving in a more liberal direction on sex, marriage, religion (church attendance is steadily declining), and other items. I've become convinced that this, as much as anything, is what is driving Trump supporters - they see Trump as a last-ditch effort to reverse the tide and return America to some earlier, 1950s-style haven. Their problem is that I don't think we're going back, because the great majority of Americans (including, privately, a good many Republicans) don't want to. If gay marriage or legal abortion is overturned, I think the vigorous opposition to Trump you're seeing now will only increase in size and passion. And, what's more, the GOP Establishment knows this, even if Trump's rural base doesn't (or doesn't care). Electing right-wingers like Trump, Cruz, and Roy Moore isn't going to stop the long-term changes in our culture. Church attendance will continue to decline, LGBT rights and other minority rights will steadily continue to be accepted, racial and ethnic diversity will continue to increase, and the culture as a whole will continue to move towards an urbanized, diverse society instead of a rural, small-town, religious fundamentalist one.

Well said.

A wise man once said, "the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice"

Pence is receiving a lot of blowback (rightfully so) over this stunt. From the Indianapolis Star:

Doyel: Vice President Mike Pence uses Colts for political purposes

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ce-leaves-nfl-protest-49-ers-colts/744478001/

That video...

fan: good for him, I'm glad he did that
reporter: so why didn't you leave?
fan: ..... I was close, but we paid for this tickets way before anything happened

All decked out head to toe in Colts gear, you were not close to leaving the game, stop lying. (Which demonstrates one problem with Trump's war with the NFL - his fans agree with him, but not enough to give up football.)

Well said.

A wise man once said, "the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice"

Think there was discussion about this (or a post from Deacon923) but The Atlantic had a great discussion of the world views of Obama and TNC related to the above quote. Obviously Obama believes that the moral universe bends towards justice, but TNC rejects this notion (specifically as it relates to people of color). I'll see if I can find it. One of the more thought provoking pieces I've read in recent memory.

Trump has politicized the flag far more than any NFL player ever had. He took a small-scale issue and made it much larger. If he truly wanted more players to stand, he never would have kicked this hornets' nest. But of course that was not his goal. Just pathetic. His political philosophy is nothing more than to oppose whoever he deems an enemy, no matter what their cause, issue, or integrity.

Think there was discussion about this (or a post from Deacon923) but The Atlantic had a great discussion of the world views of Obama and TNC related to the above quote. Obviously Obama believes that the moral universe bends towards justice, but TNC rejects this notion (specifically as it relates to people of color). I'll see if I can find it. One of the more thought provoking pieces I've read in recent memory.

It bends toward justice, but it bends very slowly for minorities and women. Protests such as these that raise awareness help it bend.

The Atlantic is always an enlightening read. The subscription is well worth it and makes for great stocking stuffers, IMO.

Agreed - well worth the subscription. I've had it for a couple years now. Really enjoy David Frum's work and their headline pieces. Not surprisingly, also a big fan of TNC.

Polls showed most people siding with Trump in this NFL player-kneeling fracas, but it appears that he's overplayed his hand on this one. Sending Pence on that little PR stunt was a clear attempt to keep the controversy going, as Trump and his aides felt it was a winning issue for them, but even he seems to sense the Pence walkout didn't work, mainly because it was so obvious. Of course, being Trump, he'll blame Pence and pretend that he had nothing to do with it. Honestly, I wonder if Pence (who doesn't seem overly bright) would have walked out even if no players took a knee, given that it was clearly planned in advance. LOL.

Yet the flag still waves and the troops are still brave heroes and the constitution is still the law of the land even though some football players took a knee. Even if they took a shit on the field during it, the values of the country still hold, the valor of the troops is still high. just like when I was a kid and the republicans clinched their sphincters over flag-burning. it's made up victimhood of the lamest kind.

Christians do it too, like the gay marriage opposition declaring that if two women get married it would de-legitimize their straight marriage.

Then they go have a rant about political correctness. phonys

Yet the flag still waves and the troops are still brave heroes and the constitution is still the law of the land even though some football players took a knee. Even if they took a shit on the field during it, the values of the country still hold, the valor of the troops is still high. just like when I was a kid and the republicans clinched their sphincters over flag-burning. it's made up victimhood of the lamest kind.

Christians do it too, like the gay marriage opposition declaring that if two women get married it would de-legitimize their straight marriage.

+1000

Reading his new book now. There is some discussion of this in Notes for the Fifth Year, which precedes the Fear of a Black President essay. I haven't read through the essay yet, so just suggesting it as a place to look.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/fear-of-a-black-president/309064/

Apparently, the NFL Commish wants the players to stand. He issued a letter to the owners stating that he "believes every player should stand for the National Anthem", and fears that the controversy is "threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country." Translation: our TV ratings are down and our advertisers are concerned, so this needs to stop. There is an NFL owner's meeting next week, and apparently "clarifying" the rules on whether players must stand during the anthem is at the top of the agenda. If they rule to have the players stand, then Trump will be crowing on twitter for weeks. He's largely succeeded in turning the debate from why the players are kneeling, to portraying it as an attack on the flag, the military, and patriotism. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens at the meeting, and what the player's response is. Trump's Administration is an epic dumpster fire, but he does know how to divide people, stir up controversy, and benefit from it.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/917811339858505728/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fnfl%2F

Last edited:

They do. But I like to think they are in the minority and don't reflect the rest of us. Unfortunately, they are just louder.

Local letter to editor

GEORGE GOOD, Winston-Salem

False patriotism

Forcing NFL players to stand during the national anthem guarantees that they will honor the flag with the same enthusiasm with which they pay taxes.

Patriotism that is manufactured, offered only to avoid punishment, is false patriotism. It’s a lie. It’s nothing but embittered obedience and oppression. It can only make things worse.

It’s strange to me that Americans, who think of themselves as being free and honest, would encourage others to lie to them.

I think it requires a person whose patriotism is a lie to demand that others offer the same lie. That’s what this incident has taught me about Vice President Mike Pence.

I already knew it about President Trump.

Back