• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Moore is likely to win and then McConnell will embrace him like a long lost cousin.

Pubs have become, basically, reality deniers.

Yes, but their problem is that reality, in the end, always wins. It may take years, but eventually delusions usually are revealed, sometimes harshly, to be only delusions, even to those who believed them. A good example is the 1929 Stock Market Crash and subsequent Great Depression, which shattered the illusions most Republicans (and even some Democrats) held all through the 1920s about the "permanence" of the Stock Market boom and the soundness of GOP economic policies. Hopefully it won't take such a reckoning this time to wake most people up, but I have my doubts.

But today's Republicans have similar delusions. We don't learn history and we don't learn from history.

They don't even understand how the Bush tax cuts led to the Great Recession.

But today's Republicans have similar delusions. We don't learn history and we don't learn from history.

I agree completely, but if they're simply making the same mistakes again (and I think they are), then it will catch up to them eventually, just as it did under Dubya and in the 1920s. The problem, of course, is that when the reckoning comes we're all going to pay for their mistakes and delusions, not just them.

ETA: I will say that it is amazing at how the GOP has kept doggedly pursuing its trickle down economic policies since the Gilded Age, despite the abundance of historical evidence that it doesn't really work. They keep changing the name of it, but it's basically just the same economic and tax policies implemented over and over, and no matter how ineffective it is, they just keep at it. I saw McConnell interviewed on ABC's This Week this morning, and when the interviewer pointed out that most economists don't believe the tax cut will pay for itself and will do little to boost the economy, McConnell just kept vaguely insisting it would work. The interviewer at one point basically said that McConnell was asking everyone to take him on faith (he laughed). But it's true - it's like a religious belief and blind faith to them.

Last edited:
But that's the thing. It catches up with us. It doesn't catch up with them. I don't think there's any way for the economy to hurt the top 1% and not the rest of us.

Yeah but correlation is not causation and with a sample size of 1 Bush tax cuts and 1 great ression, how can we really be sure.

Bush's tax cuts did not cause the housing crisis. I don't think that this is a defensible position even among serious left leaning economists.

Now you can argue that they fueled the very high deficits after the recession because they put us in deficit spending situations even before the recession hit.

Last edited:
I agree completely, but if they're simply making the same mistakes again (and I think they are), then it will catch up to them eventually, just as it did under Dubya and in the 1920s. The problem, of course, is that when the reckoning comes we're all going to pay for their mistakes and delusions, not just them.

ETA: I will say that it is amazing at how the GOP has kept doggedly pursuing its trickle down economic policies since the Gilded Age, despite the abundance of historical evidence that it doesn't really work. They keep changing the name of it, but it's basically just the same economic and tax policies implemented over and over, and no matter how ineffective it is, they just keep at it. I saw McConnell interviewed on ABC's This Week this morning, and when the interviewer pointed out that most economists don't believe the tax cut will pay for itself and will do little to boost the economy, McConnell just kept vaguely insisting it would work. The interviewer at one point basically said that McConnell was asking everyone to take him on faith (he laughed). But it's true - it's like a religious belief and blind faith to them.

Rep. Cole says there is plenty of evidence it works

How many of them think "Bernie Bernstein" is an actual reporter for the post.

Asked if Moore should be in the Senate, McConnell says on ABC: "I'm going to let the people of Alabama decide."

Of course. The only reason he said anything before was to give Alabamans an out for voting for Moore. ("Vote for Moore, we'll kick him out right away, and you'll get another special election."). Was never going to happen.

Woman shares new evidence of relationship with Roy Moore when she was 17

As she flipped through the scrapbook last week, Gibson said, she realized it contained other indications of her relationship with Moore, which she says began in March 1981, after he came to speak to her high school civics class.

On a page titled “commencement,” under “My own guests,” she had written “Roy S. Moore,” just above “mom” and “dad.”

On a page titled “remembrances,” she had listed her graduation gifts line by line, including “$10, card” from “Roy S. Moore,” and a check mark indicating she had sent a thank-you card.

34 years old and he attended his girlfriend's high school graduation.

Back