• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Abortion seems compromise immune. How do you compromise on abortion without undercutting the very principle on which you base your views?

I agree it would be super crazy for people to accept scientific definitions as true. Just can't expect people to do that in this day and age.

Yep.

We've been told by the GOP for years that whenever a liberal policy is about to be enacted, "Think of the children!"

- Gay marriage? "Think of the children."
- Transgender bathrooms? "Think of the children!"
- Abortion? "THINK OF THE UNBORN CHILDREN!!!!!!"

Now that we are in this just ridiculous era of politics, a man who has actually preyed on children is their candidate for the US Senate, they can't back up their own principles. They are admitting that children are not as important as giving rich people tax cuts and taking health care away from poor people. And they are asking their constituents to allow them to do it.

We've been told by the GOP for years that whenever a liberal policy is about to be enacted, "Think of the children!"

Now that we are in this just ridiculous era of politics, a man who has actually preyed on children is their candidate for the US Senate, they can't back up their own principles. They are admitting that children are not as important as giving rich people tax cuts and taking health care away from poor people. And they are asking their constituents to allow them to do it.

Yep. Tribal partisan politics at its worst.

And the really sad part is that their constituents (at least in Alabama) appear to be perfectly willing to go along. As long as GOP voters are willing to stoop to this level of cognitive dissonance (and plain hypocrisy) to elect one of their own - no matter what he's done in his past - the GOP will keep right on nominating people like this, and our politics will become more and more insane, radical, and militant. It's like there's no bottom to this anymore - no standard or line whatsoever. I remember watching old video clips of Joseph Welch shaming Joseph McCarthy in 1954 at the famous Army-McCarthy hearings with "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" Unfortunately, it appears there's no one around willing to do the same to the modern GOP, and even if they did, there's no evidence it would do any good.

Last edited:
Roy Moore is now ahead by an average of 3.8 points in RCPs running average. Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with this state? At least in my town we’ve got about a 16:1 Jones to Moore yard sign ratio, so I know my neighbors aren’t all dumb fucks.

Roy Moore is now ahead by an average of 3.8 points in RCPs running average. Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with this state? At least in my town we’ve got about a 16:1 Jones to Moore yard sign ratio, so I know my neighbors aren’t all dumb fucks.

Did you watch the Frank Luntz focus group on Vice? It was beyond sad.

On a more uplifting note: I know two sets of hardcore conservatives from Alabama who are voting Jones. It's purely anecdotal and an extension of my WFU bubble but it's an encouraging sign.

Also this race has been notoriously hard to poll. 538 had a good article on it the other day...in addition to the issue of having an accused child molester in the race, there have been very few reputable pollsters surveying the race.

It's going to be close and Tuesday night should be an interesting one to watch. And if Moore wins, the fallout with Mitch McConnel et al will be even more interesting.

Did you watch the Frank Luntz focus group on Vice? It was beyond sad.

On a more uplifting note: I know two sets of hardcore conservatives from Alabama who are voting Jones. It's purely anecdotal and an extension of my WFU bubble but it's an encouraging sign.

Also this race has been notoriously hard to poll. 538 had a good article on it the other day...in addition to the issue of having an accused child molester in the race, there have been very few reputable pollsters surveying the race.

It's going to be close and Tuesday night should be an interesting one to watch. And if Moore wins, the fallout with Mitch McConnel et al will be even more interesting.

If Jones win, McConnell will blame it on Moore and make a statement saying this is the result of Alabama not going with the establishment candidate.

If Jones win, McConnell will blame it on Moore and make a statement saying this is the result of Alabama not going with the establishment candidate.

If Moore wins, they will gladly take his vote on the conference tax bill and any other shitty legislation they need to pass. The Pubs will never speak of these issues again.

I'm not sure how polls can account for the increased enthusiasm from the left. This could be the first meaningful vote an Alabama Democrat has cast in a very long time.

But at the same time, any Democrat still living in Alabama has to be at peace with this in some way. An old black man who has lived his whole life in Birmingham isn't going to be like "OMG! Alabama might vote for an old out of touch racist to replace Jeff Sessions! We have to do something!"

Last edited:
Good god...I missed Moore's slavery comments that recently re-surfaced.

In response to a question from one of the only African Americans in the audience — who asked when Moore thought America was last "great" -- Moore acknowledged the nation's history of racial divisions, but said: "I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another.... Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/08/politics/roy-moore-slavery/index.html

I'm not sure how polls can account for the increased enthusiasm from the left. This could be the first meaningful vote an Alabama Democrat has cast in a very long time.

But at the same time, any Democrat still living in Alabama has to be at peace with this in some way. An old black man who has lived his whole life in Birmingham isn't going to be like "OMG! Alabama might vote for an old out of touch racist to replace Jeff Sessions! We have to do something!"

There is definitely more enthusiasm among Dems than Pubs in the state. Pubs are embarrassed by their candidate, but will vote for him anyway and deny it later. Jones has a big presence across the state. Every where I go the yard sign tallies are at least 10:1 in Jones favor, and most Moore signs I see are in public spaces (intersections, high exit ramps) not in people's yards. The big enthusiastic push is among white educated Democrats, especially women. People who've been living here for years and had sullenly accepted that Dems would only ever get 34% of the vote. They are the ones organizing call centers and tailgates and canvassing and freedom rides.

Good god...I missed Moore's slavery comments that recently re-surfaced.

In response to a question from one of the only African Americans in the audience — who asked when Moore thought America was last "great" -- Moore acknowledged the nation's history of racial divisions, but said: "I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another.... Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/08/politics/roy-moore-slavery/index.html

The guy is a nut job. Sure it's at the top of the list, but Moore hitting on and assaulting teenage girls is only one of the reasons he'd be a fucking terrible senator.

There is definitely more enthusiasm among Dems than Pubs in the state. Pubs are embarrassed by their candidate, but will vote for him anyway and deny it later. Jones has a big presence across the state. Every where I go the yard sign tallies are at least 10:1 in Jones favor, and most Moore signs I see are in public spaces (intersections, high exit ramps) not in people's yards. The big enthusiastic push is among white educated Democrats, especially women. People who've been living here for years and had sullenly accepted that Dems would only ever get 34% of the vote. They are the ones organizing call centers and tailgates and canvassing and freedom rides.

Yeah the importance of enthusiasm really can't be overstated. At the end of the day, you need to get asses into the voting booth...and that comes down to convincing voters that taking an hour out of their day (plus any other inconveniences) is worth it.

Democrats and moderates are appalled over the fact that a reactionary child molester might represent them in the US Senate.

Republicans are motivated by pissing off liberals. But they also probably don't feel all that great about voting for a guy who used to chase 14 year old girls at the local mall and custody court. Plus they know this seat will likely flip back to red in a few years any way.

Advantage: Dems and sanity

Dems and sanity rarely get an advantage. Let's hope you're right.

#alabamavalues

Back