• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Shocked that Moore lost, but even with all of massive negatives embedded in the Moore candidacy, the margin was razor thin.

Even so, Moore may have won had he campaigned at all (Moore spent the final weekend before the vote at the Army Navy game, and essentially avoided public appearances over the last month). Also, Kayla Moore's comment about the "jew lawyer" may have been the straw the broke the camel's back for those who planned to hold their nose and vote for Moore. For a segment of conservative Alabama people that vote Republican in every election without thinking twice, Moore just became too much of an embarrassment.

While this probably didn't matter to the vast majority of the electorate, perhaps 1% of those that cast their ballots yesterday felt that the bottom line was that Roy Moore was just too stupid to vote for.

Can we change the thread title now?

I vote for: "Alabama repudiates disgusting human; Faith in humanity somewhat restored"

I'm sure some did.

How many would be enough for you to say that you feel good about the way things are headed?

Jones won by 1% over an accused hebephile, and most of that was due to black voters voting overwhelmingly (95%) for him.

What was the white voter breakdown? I would guess very much in favor of Moore still.

Without looking at past Alabama Senate election results, I‘d bet black voters always vote for the dem in the 95% range. That wasn‘t the difference here. That‘s a constant.

I'm guessing Auburn students played a major role in that swing.

It's weird when party that antagonizes and marginalizes black voters derives some moral high ground from the other party ignoring black voters.

I would not be so confident that AU students account entirely in that swing. It is actually a pretty conservative student body. I am sure they were part of it, but the yard sign game in Auburn and Opelika residential areas was strongly in favor of Jones.

townie's tweet is sobering but keep in mind it was Alabama. i think that matters a little bit

Also - the RNC's job is to get Republicans elected. He was the Republican candidate.

N is for National, so this isn't isolated to Alabama at all. And the RNC did withdraw support and then give it back. "They're just doing their job" is horseshit rationalization for a party wholesale endorsing a total shithead yet again. Yeah their job is to win elections, but then the people they elect have to govern or legislate, and there's some responsibility that comes with that process.

townie's tweet is sobering but keep in mind it was Alabama. i think that matters a little bit

Also - the RNC's job is to get Republicans elected. He was the Republican candidate.

N is for National, so this isn't isolated to Alabama at all. And the RNC did withdraw support and then give it back. "They're just doing their job" is horseshit rationalization for a party wholesale endorsing a total shithead yet again. Yeah their job is to win elections, but then the people they elect have to govern or legislate, and there's some responsibility that comes with that process.

It's weird when party that antagonizes and marginalizes black voters derives some moral high ground from the other party ignoring black voters.

Actually Auburn's student body is really conservative compared to most colleges these days. I have to give some credit to the white educated folks in the county. Auburn and Opelika's residential yard sign game was strongly in favor of Jones.

Actually Auburn's student body is really conservative compared to most colleges these days. I have to give some credit to the white educated folks in the county. Auburn and Opelika's residential yard sign game was strongly in favor of Jones.

It's been clear that Democrats didn't learn the lesson of the 2008 election. They took a lot for granted without critically evaluating how to nurture the coalition of black voters, young voters, and pissed off white women. They just accepted that Obama was super popular without understanding that Hillary wasn't and that the coalition could win races at all levels. I hope this is a lesson they will learn from VA and AL. Engage ALL voters and lay out a substantive argument for the Dem candidate. Don't just assume people will show up.

It's been clear that Democrats didn't learn the lesson of the 2008 election. They took a lot for granted without critically evaluating how to nurture the coalition of black voters, young voters, and pissed off white women. They just accepted that Obama was super popular without understanding that Hillary wasn't and that the coalition could win races at all levels. I hope this is a lesson they will learn from VA and AL. Engage ALL voters and lay out a substantive argument for the Dem candidate. Don't just assume people will show up.

But of 600,000 people in AL did vote for the bigot, child molester.

I'm sure some did.

How many would be enough for you to say that you feel good about the way things are headed?

Jones won by 1% over an accused hebephile, and most of that was due to black voters voting overwhelmingly (95%) for him.

What was the white voter breakdown? I would guess very much in favor of Moore still.

Without looking at the voter breakdown for previous AL Senate election results, I‘d bet black voters always vote dem at a rate of around 95%. Jones didn‘t win because of the black vote. The black vote is a constant. Jones won because enough white voters who otherwise vote pub voted against Roy Moore.

Something it seems a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of black people live in the South.

Alabama has the 6th highest percentage of black population among the 50 states. 26.4% of the population and 30% of the turnout is HUGE. Similar numbers in Mississippi (37.4% black), Louisiana (32.1%), Georgia (30.9%), and South Carolina (27.5%) would put those states in play as well.

I'm sure some did.

Without looking at voter breakdown for previous AL Senate elections, I‘d bet black voters always vote dem at a rate of around 95%. Jones didn‘t win because of the black vote. The black vote is a constant. He won because enough voters who otherwise vote pub voted against Roy Moore.

I'm sure some did.

MSNBC exit polls showed White vote at 74% Moore, somewhat monolithic also.

Auburn University is actually a fairly conservative student body. I'd give a lot of credit to Auburn and Opelika residents. The residential yard sign ratio was very strongly skewed to Jones, they were drinking the Democrat water.

I'm sure some did.

MSNBC exit polls showed White vote at 74% Moore, somewhat monolithic also.

Back