• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Mdmh is the progressive version of Steve Bannon and the Tea Party. Those guys still want to double down on moving further right despite hemorrhaging supporters in the past 6-8 months.

The political horseshoe theory lives on.

If yesterday's Alabama Senate race had been a House election, the Republicans, who got *fewer* votes, would have won 6 out of 7 seats, and the Democrats, who *won* the vote statewide, only 1 out of 7. That's how gerrymandered Alabama is.
25289374_10154848299540216_2992369197179841921_n.jpg

Wonder how they put together those districts.

Mdmh is the progressive version of Steve Bannon and the Tea Party. Those guys still want to double down on moving further right despite hemorrhaging supporters in the past 6-8 months.

Yes. And this is what happens when you bend to ideological purity and nominate a McGovern.

Get out of here, man.

You can say what you want about the content of his politics, but mdmh is nowhere close to Bannon and the Tea Party. He supports policies that many of y'all consider naive, but none of those explicitly include destroying fundamentally democratic institutions, dismantling the welfare state, implementing racist and xenophobic immigration policies, raising the tax burden on poor families, and whatever flavor of the month nonsense that cynical millenarian and fascist right idiots like Bannon treat as dogma.

I agree with him on one point, though. Politics is just another game for people with vested interest in maintaining the system and/or too much time on their hands. Lost in the hand wringing over Russia and hyperbolic commentary on the Trump administration is that each gaffe, tweet, and toxic policy has real consequences for everyday peoples' lives.

I gotta say - Moonz is pretty spot on about the quality of political discourse these days.

Last edited:
I think what Ned is saying is that stability requires governing in the middle so that chaos doesn’t occur. Right now you have a non functioning government and a lot of pissed off people because the republicans are in charge and being run by the far tail of their spectrum. Despite this you still have a large number of people supporting them. If the exact opposite occurred and you go super liberal progressive the coin has simply flipped and hyper partisan non functioning government continues to occur. This may actually be the way our country governs for the foreseeable future just a flip of the coin back and forth between the extremes as something is seriously broken.

Yeah man, the whole world is middle class, right? It's only us fringe hippie weirdos who aren't thrilled with the vulture corporatist status quo. lol. It's truly amazing to see how out of touch you all are, but what else can I expect from a board full of 40 something yuppie lawyers.

I think what Ned is saying is that stability requires governing in the middle so that chaos doesn’t occur. Right now you have a non functioning government and a lot of pissed off people because the republicans are in charge and being run by the far tail of their spectrum. Despite this you still have a large number of people supporting them. If the exact opposite occurred and you go super liberal progressive the coin has simply flipped and hyper partisan non functioning government continues to occur. This may actually be the way our country governs for the foreseeable future just a flip of the coin back and forth between the extremes as something is seriously broken.

I don't disagree, but you don't see how the current state of politics is a pretty clear rejection of the excesses of moderate governance? Lots of excess in the current kleptocratic version of governing, too, but I don't think it makes much sense to suggest "we just need to return to the center of old!" as a solution to the current crisis.

At some point the Democratic party or a less psychotic version of the Republican party will have to do something about the rampant (and undeniable) inequality in this country.

I’m a pretty liberal dude, but progressive candidates aren’t going to win everywhere. The democrats need to win as many seats as possible because the base is concentrated in urban areas on the coast. That’s an uphill battle for legislative power. What I wish would happen is that these moderate democrats would be more supportive of key social legislative priorities. We do not fall in line when it matters.

Even if Jones voted 80% Republican, it would be a win for the Democrats of Alabama. Luther Strange is currently the most conservative senator.

I’m a pretty liberal dude, but progressive candidates aren’t going to win everywhere. The democrats need to win as many seats as possible because the base is concentrated in urban areas on the coast. That’s an uphill battle for legislative power. What I wish would happen is that these moderate democrats would be more supportive of key social legislative priorities. We do not fall in line when it matters.

You're getting at different issues here, I think.

I don't disagree with anything that you have posted, though "falling in line" when it matters depends on what you think matters.

The Democratic party in my lifetime has been a big fan of supporting unremarkable candidates, developing a platform that has no interest in addressing fundamental causes of inequality in this country, not consistently supporting large scale or statewide GOTV efforts beyond fundraising among the obscenely wealthy (whose interests dominate the party platform), and then demanding that the rank and file fall in line. All of this, election cycle-after-election cycle, despite knowing that turnout is the key to winning elections.

Also, progressive candidates aren't going to win everywhere, but that doesn't mean that having a progressive outlook on politics makes one comparable to Steve Bannon. That's rhetoric that's more at home in this current political climate than folks like NED are willing to admit.

ETA: All of this is to say - thank you to the Alabama residents, particularly black Alabama residents and birdman, who got out the vote against serious odds and elevated an undeserving candidate to the Senate.

Last edited:
Poor mdmh. He is so reasonable in his dialogue and gets treated so horribly.

it's not like republicans all of a sudden just started electing folks at the edge of republican ideology. they gradually moved there, and (for now) they control virtually everything.

but mdmh throws hissy fits because the strategy of democrats isn't to gradually move to the edge. he wants all or nothing.

what a maroon.

Poor mdmh. He is so reasonable in his dialogue and gets treated so horribly.
My parents live in section 8 housing, my dad works 60 hours a week with no overtime or benefits, with an Obamacare plan he cant afford, my mother is on medicare, and can't work more than 20 hours a week without losing her benefits, my grandmother is on medicare, I work 60 hours a week with no benefits or time off, i'll probably never be able to pay off my student loans or buy a house, my wife works at a hospital with no childcare benefits and only 4 weeks of "temporary disability" 60% pay pregnancy leave, and I just lost my tax deductions for my self-employment and all our student loans. I work with the low income disabled community, as does my wife, mostly POC. I'm not asking you to cry for me, but consider that my economic situation is much more common than most of yours. These complaints I have with the political status quo are much more salient to my life than they are to yours, I assume. That's not an excuse for me to be an asshole to any of you, but it is an explanation as to why I am so...passionate about it.

Back