• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

but he did choose to take a job where he works 60 hours w/ no benefits because he wanted to work in a sector doing humanitarian work, right

[milhouse]What kind of looser does humanitarian work with a Wake Forest degree? That's not what a Wake degree is for.[/milhouse]

but he did choose to take a job where he works 60 hours w/ no benefits because he wanted to work in a sector doing humanitarian work, right
I have two jobs, because my full time job doesn't pay very well. I have a low paying entry level position in a human services field because it's damn near impossible to get a job in these fields without previous experience or/and a masters degree.

You generally can’t unilaterally decide exempt or non-exempt based on “business needs.” Types of job responsibilities and duties provide what type of employee you are. Perhaps the company is legally switching things up but like others have said, sounds pretty fishy

Helped my client write a letter today
9bc05b26598d6388f66d4c24f165b422.jpg

Not really a surprise...to expect Moore to do the decent thing and concede gracefully was always a stretch. Instead, he'll do what Trump would almost certainly have done had he lost to Hillary - refuse to actually concede (at least for a long time), make wild and unproven accusations of vote-stealing, vote fraud, etc., drag everything out for as long as possible while trying to remove any legitimacy from Jones' victory, and foster the conspiracy-minded suspicions of his base ("We didn't really lose the election, it was STOLEN from us by all these sinister minorities and libruls!")

Not really a surprise...to expect Moore to do the decent thing and concede gracefully was always a stretch. Instead, he'll do what Trump would almost certainly have done had he lost to Hillary - refuse to actually concede (at least for a long time), make wild and unproven accusations of vote-stealing, vote fraud, etc., drag everything out for as long as possible while trying to remove any legitimacy from Jones' victory, and foster the conspiracy-minded suspicions of his base ("We didn't really lose the election, it was STOLEN from us by all these sinister minorities and libruls!")

And get that money.

Rubes will embrace this lost cause and build a statue of Moore to celebrate it.

My dad is a salaried employee specifically so he cant get overtime. He gets moved from hourly to salaried multiple times a year depending upon the "business needs" where he works.

Here's what the feds say:

"Misclassification
Employers who switch back and forth between classifying salaried, exempt workers as hourly, non-exempt workers and vice versa may be guilty of incorrectly classifying its employees. The U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division doesn't look favorably on employers who do this. However, once an employee is classified as salaried, exempt or hourly, non-exempt doesn't necessarily mean that an employer can't change the classification. It simply means there must be sound justification and a paper trail for switching back and forth."

Most states also have laws about this.

Most states also have laws about "comp time" for salaried employees.

Here's what the feds say:

"Misclassification
Employers who switch back and forth between classifying salaried, exempt workers as hourly, non-exempt workers and vice versa may be guilty of incorrectly classifying its employees. The U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division doesn't look favorably on employers who do this. However, once an employee is classified as salaried, exempt or hourly, non-exempt doesn't necessarily mean that an employer can't change the classification. It simply means there must be sound justification and a paper trail for switching back and forth."

Most states also have laws about this.

Most states also have laws about "comp time" for salaried employees.

Agree with this. It would likely be a tough conversation to have with an employer (i.e. arguing for full time and benefits when the employer is clearly trying to game the system) but from what I understand about most exempt/non exempt rules and regs...I think you/your dad have a legitimate argument. Just tread carefully...but I sincerely hope the employer re-evaluates because their status quo is unethical and potentially illegal.

Back