• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Probably so insurance premium increases and cuts to social programs don’t kick in until 2019 rather than before the midterms. This bill is so great for working class folks that they want it to be fully implemented after they vote.

so they can kick the paygo rules down the curb for another year. This shouldn't have any impact on the insurance premiums.

Ooops.

Someone is not aware of trends in academia. Growth in higher education is very common. Brad hasn’t been to campus recently.

Someone also doesn’t understand that the purpose of growth in the private sector is to make money and sometimes to avoid corporate taxes.

I readily agree I don't know much about the industry of academia... which is why I posted growth "might be" foreign in academia.

But for someone who has very little (if any?) experience in the private sector, I'm curious how you became such an expert on the strategies and motives of those in the private sector.

Did you attend a seminar once on the private sector?

I readily agree I don't know much about the industry of academia... which is why I posted growth "might be" foreign in academia.

But for someone who has very little (if any?) experience in the private sector, I'm curious how you became such an expert on the strategies and motives of those in the private sector.

Did you attend a seminar once on the private sector?

You don't need a seminar to know people want to make money.

Pretty easy to google: “what will corporations do with tax cuts”

Along those lines, we also know what companies did during W's term when there was a repatriation tax holiday. It was simply a giveaway to the executives and the companies. It didn't create jobs.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/24/16183674/trump-tax-repatriation

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/26/wha...ompanies-got-a-break-on-overseas-profits.html

Jobs slashed
In the 2005-06 time frame, Pfizer, which repatriated $37 billion, slashed 10,000 jobs. Merck, which brought back $15.9 billion, cut 7,000 jobs, and HP pared its employment rolls by 14,500 after repatriating $14.5 billion.

Most of the money went to repairing balance sheets and rewarding shareholders, according to the CRS. According to one study cited, as much as 91 cents on the dollar went to share repurchases, even though that, along with compensation increases, was an expressly prohibited use by Congress."

It was a scam then. It's a scam now.

What's even worse is companies are sitting on TRILLIONS of dollars in cash that they didn't have then. Only those who no knowledge of history or are bought and paid for think this will help American workers or the economy. Mafia protection payments are far more helpful than this scam.

It's been pointed out by many others, but the real deception in this bill is that the middle-class cuts expire after only 2-4 years, and after that many people will actually see their taxes increase, at least slightly. The wealthy and corporations, however, will continue to benefit. Furthermore, many of the costs of the bill are also pushed down the road. It is certainly a clever piece of legislation, in that voters in 2018 will probably see at least some minimal tax cuts, which the GOP clearly hopes will help them in next year's elections. I've read that the Koch Brothers are already planning to spend big bucks soon on a propaganda/commercial blitz to win support for the cuts. What Republicans are clearly hoping (banking on, really) is that the short-term cuts will win over voters in next year's elections, allowing them to stay in the majority until 2020, and by the time the real costs of the bill set in (steadily increasing deficit, leading to significant cuts in Medicare, Social Security, and other welfare programs, tax increases for the middle class) it will be too late to alter them.

Last edited:
So how are the Pubs proposing to get over the pay-go rules now that the bill was signed before Christmas? Hoping the Dems will work with them to waive?

I don't know, the piece was right in that a tax cut should be popular. Yet Republicans took $1.5 trillion and cobbled together a massively unpopular bill. It's impressive, really.

Also, I'll take this time again to point out that they changed the way inflation is calculated for tax rules, which will result in everyone's taxes going up. Slowly at first, but then the issue will compound year after year. This is a tax hike for individuals partially hidden by temporary tax cuts. That's not why it is unpopular, but it's still worth noting. (Remember, they can't pass a bill that raises the deficit after a decade, yet the corporate tax cut is permanent. In other words, we're paying for the corporate tax cut through increased taxes and decreased spending on healthcare as people can no longer afford it.)

The Big, Permanent Tax Increase Inside the Tax Cut Act

So how are the Pubs proposing to get over the pay-go rules now that the bill was signed before Christmas? Hoping the Dems will work with them to waive?

Waived yesterday as part of the continuing resolution to fund the government for another month.

I really wouldn’t mind my taxes going up a bit if it was funding the right shit, not lining the owner-class’ pockets in the trickle-down con.

Demographics will kill the GOP and their giveaways to the owner class as the old guard dies out, and they know it so they are getting all they can now.

It's a dumb, short-sighted, poorly timed (from economic perspective) bill that mostly benefits folks that don't need the help. Long term it only benefits the wealthy. It does nothing to meet the need for better government services. In fact, we have every reason to expect this bill will increase the debt and require a cutting of needed government services.

What's not to love?

Back