• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

What they are reporting is true. A lot of people had small incremental tax benefits in their paychecks that were probably offset by higher Health costs so they didn't really notice any benefit and now their refund is much lower so they're bitching up a storm

95% of people had their taxes go down. Any "reporting" of anecdotes which leads people to believe otherwise is simply propaganda at this point. #enemyofthepeople

95% of people had their taxes go down. Any "reporting" of anecdotes which leads people to believe otherwise is simply propaganda at this point. #enemyofthepeople

Read the articles. Refunds are down, and they reported that refunds are down.

#actualnews

Last edited:
Read the articles. Refunds are down, and they reported that refunds are down.

#actualnews

Yes, and you can pick certain truths to paint a narrative that is untrue. And one that does that could be considered an enemy.

You're an accountant, I believe. Care to explain how the pizza delivery driver was getting $6,000 refunds in prior years, or how he reached the student loan interest cap?

“The people who file early are the people who generally count on these refunds. They may have an expectation of higher refunds,” he said. These taxpayers, especially those who hold down multiple jobs, could be in for a rude awakening.

This was what happened to Jason Marques, a postal worker, pizza delivery driver and student in Massachusetts who said that, since his income didn’t change, he was expecting a similar refund to the roughly $6,000 he got last year — money he said would go towards his student loans or paying off credit card debt.

Marques said he was hurt by the cap on student loan interest deduction and the elimination of non-reimbursed business expenses, which he used to deduct the out-of-pocket costs he incurred as a delivery driver. “My jaw hit the floor,” he said, when he learned his 2018 refund would be under $500.

For the most part, its just people whose withholding have gone down. But they are bitching on social media.

For the most part, its just people whose withholding have gone down. But they are bitching on social media.

Do you want your news source to be posting articles anytime someone bitches on social media? That's literally their second "source"

Marques is not alone in his frustration. Early filers have been taking to social media to express their ire at finding that their refunds were a fraction of what they anticipated or — worse yet — that they would owe an unexpected bill to the IRS.

“That campaign promise was one of the only two reasons I voted for you,” wrote Twitter user Dee Nelson. “Rethinking that decision now.”

@realDonaldTrump just did my taxes and thanks for increasing mine!! No change in income and got back $400 less than last year. That campaign promise was one of the only two reasons I voted for you. Rethinking that decision now.

Meh, there are several sources in the article and it pretty much spells out the variables that are at play here.

Meh, there are several sources in the article and it pretty much spells out the variables that are at play here.

No it doesn't. It clearly doesn't spell out whatsoever how the pizza delivery driver's refund went down $5,500.

Explain how the eax cuts for most Americans decrease and then expire within a couple of years while those cuts for the wealthy are permanent.

I do alot of friends and family pro-bono work so I will provide some anecdotal examples.

Single mom two kids. Earns about $45K. Income stable. Last year had net tax of $716 this year a net refundable credit of $1,326

I think he’s arguing that the taxpayers who believed the GOP honestly wanted to deliver a tax bill that was good for their working families lol are too stupid to figure out how this great bill works, and their social media rants about their refunds being reported on by MSM is somehow fake. That’s the best I can do with it

Married couple two kids. Income about $45K each year. last year net refundable credit around $576. This year $1,422.

I don’t know what the argument here is. The GOP and other supporting foundations and think tanks even said this was going to happen but tried to kind of gloss over it. Most people were going to save some money, but they wanted people to feel the effect right away to boost midterms (complete failure) so the IRS changed the withholding calculations so if you normally got a refund as that lump sum you got an extra 50-100 dollars in your paycheck every two weeks. So tax time comes and you think sweet I should be getting the refund I get every year but instead that refund was paid out in 26 installments. Now you’re an average dumb person so you think shit I owe more taxes these tax cut sucked, because turns out an extra 50 dollars a month and receiving your refund spread out in your paycheck isn’t as awesome as Palma made the crumbs out to be.

Because the GOP did the plan for political expediency thinking about taxes how rich people think about taxes instead of how poor and middle class people think about taxes.

I don’t know what the argument here is. The GOP and other supporting foundations and think tanks even said this was going to happen but tried to kind of gloss over it. Most people were going to save some money, but they wanted people to feel the effect right away to boost midterms (complete failure) so the IRS changed the withholding calculations so if you normally got a refund as that lump sum you got an extra 50-100 dollars in your paycheck every two weeks. So tax time comes and you think sweet I should be getting the refund I get every year but instead that refund was paid out in 26 installments. Now you’re an average dumb person so you think shit I owe more taxes these tax cut sucked, because turns out an extra 50 dollars a month and receiving your refund spread out in your paycheck isn’t as awesome as Palma made the crumbs out to be.

An extra $100 in your paycheck every 2 weeks is pretty awesome for most of the country

Back